what to do for rear shock on my banshee

chappy

Alright here is the deal,I have an 03 banshee with LRD pipes and toomey air filter no air box so its not heavily modded but definently not stock.I took the stock tires off and put some 20in holeshots on to try and get better traction but it still will not hook up real well.My buddys ride my shee and they are all around 150-180 (I'M 220)and that thing hocks up and stands the frontend up through the first 4 gears fo them and with me on it only barely does it in first gear and second on up nothing but breaking the tires loose..Even on the dry blacktop it only wants to stand up in first and nothing after that ,not even wheel spin on the blacktop and I am driving it very aggressive.I had my buddys watch me and they said that it looks like I am losing all my power through my rear shock.They said that when I launch I am dropping the rear fenders almost to where there touching the tires and then it comes back up and does the same through the gears.We adjusted the rear shock as stiff as we could and it helped a little but not much.So is it the rear shock that is causing the problem and if it is what can I do?replace it ?rebuild it?I can;t believe it would be blown being an 03 and I knew the guy I got it off of and he hardly rode it and never jumped or raced itso I can't believe it is blown,maybe just to soft for a heavier guy like me.

The way it is now the shock is doing its job u want it to scwat abit. It really depends on what kind of riding u do. If u make it real stiff u might like it for wheelies but its going to ride like ass the rest of the time.. Your best bet is to contact TCS suspension and tell them what u want out of your shock and have them rebuild it..

Definetly use TCS, I sent my shock off to works seven weeks ago. Sounds like they are sending it back today. Maybe sometime next week I will get it. Works is really slow and when I talked to TCS they told me three weeks. Just thought you should know.

Your best bet is to contact TCS suspension and tell them what u want out of your shock and have them rebuild it..

WORD! I sent mine out on a Monday, and got it back on a Friday. I am on the west coast though.

The shock handles my +6 swinger and 250lb fat ass like a champ. Can't go wrong on the TCS rebuild service.

Your best bet is to contact TCS suspension and tell them what u want out of your shock and have them rebuild it..

Word. TCS is awesome. Just watch out for some of the folks around Lake Elsinore if you go visit TCS in person. I think a few of them thought I had purdy mouth. :confused:

call up wayne at eibach and have him recomend you a spring to put on it. Try that spring out first and if you dont like it then you should send it somewhere. I am 225lbs with a 6in swing arm and I like my stiffer spring alone. I think it rides great. There was no need to get it redone and spend another 300 bucks on it. So try it out first and see how you like it.

You can crank the spring down and play with the rebound and compression and get it where its OK. I weighed 220 when I got mine and get it to where I was happy untill I got a new set all the way around. The stock rear shock on a Banshee is NICE compaired to the rest out there, it just doesn't have the travel.

You can crank the spring down and play with the rebound and compression and get it where its OK. I weighed 220 when I got mine and get it to where I was happy untill I got a new set all the way around. The stock rear shock on a Banshee is NICE compaired to the rest out there, it just doesn't have the travel.

Adjusting the preload on the spring does not make the shock stiffer (it doesm't change the spring rate), it is simply a ride height adjustment. If you need a stiffer shock, you need a new spring from Eibach (or similair). :thumbsup:

Adjusting the preload on the spring does not make the shock stiffer (it doesm't change the spring rate), it is simply a ride height adjustment. If you need a stiffer shock, you need a new spring from Eibach (or similair). :thumbsup:

WORD! TCS uses Eibach springs. Well, at least they did on mine! A new spring is all nice and dandy, but getting the shock valved along with the spring will make all the difference in the world.

Just my .02

Could have fooled me. Every shock I've ever had got harder when I cranked the spring down. Have you never seen the old 5-way preload adjustable shocks like the stock one's on the front of a Banshee and numerous other? I'm sure you have. Have you ever adjusted a shock or do you even know how? Do you know how a shock works? You are dead-on when it comes to Zero Preload shocks but regular "limited-mass" type work off the spring as well as the internals. ZPS springs pretty much hold you up and keep the tires on the ground. Stock shocks are totally different and pre-load is an adjustment to stiffen the shock. Try getting a set of stock shocks to act like ZPS's and you'll see what I'm talking about because it doesn't work. That stock rear shock has a WIDE range if you know what you are doing. I wish I could get a couple old video's on here and you could see what a STOCK Banshee will do IF you know how to adjust the shocks INCLUDING the fronts. I'm on an MX track 5' to 20' in the air on the stock shocks two months after I bought the bike. I raced 6 250Rs the next weekend and won by 1/4 track and the track was over a mile long.

Edited by TWILES

Could have fooled me. Every shock I've ever had got harder when I cranked the spring down. Have you never seen the old 5-way preload adjustable shocks like the stock one's on the front of a Banshee and numerous other? I'm sure you have. Have you ever adjusted a shock or do you even know how? Do you know how a shock works? You are dead-on when it comes to Zero Preload shocks but regular "limited-mass" type work off the spring as well as the internals. ZPS springs pretty much hold you up and keep the tires on the ground. Stock shocks are totally different and pre-load is an adjustment to stiffen the shock. Try getting a set of stock shocks to act like ZPS's and you'll see what I'm talking about because it doesn't work. That stock rear shock has a WIDE range if you know what you are doing. I wish I could get a couple old video's on here and you could see what a STOCK Banshee will do IF you know how to adjust the shocks INCLUDING the fronts. I'm on an MX track 5' to 20' in the air on the stock shocks two months after I bought the bike. I raced 6 250Rs the next weekend and won by 1/4 track and the track was over a mile long.

The stock front shocks are adjustable?

I'd recommend having your shocks redone by percision concepts. I had mine done by TCS and it felt pretty good but I think they missed a bad seal that percision concepts found after I crashed.

The stock front shocks are adjustable?

I'd recommend having your shocks redone by percision concepts. I had mine done by TCS and it felt pretty good but I think they missed a bad seal that percision concepts found after I crashed.

Yea the fronts are adjustable. They have the 5-click prelaod thing at the bottom. You just turn it. You'd be supprised at what that will do.

Could have fooled me. Every shock I've ever had got harder when I cranked the spring down. Have you never seen the old 5-way preload adjustable shocks like the stock one's on the front of a Banshee and numerous other? I'm sure you have. Have you ever adjusted a shock or do you even know how? Do you know how a shock works? You are dead-on when it comes to Zero Preload shocks but regular "limited-mass" type work off the spring as well as the internals.

Sschweeeeeeeeeeet. You're retarded and certainly not worth my time. :thumbsup: