High Idle

Watts

I've searched, but can't find what i'm looking for. I'm kinda lost here. Here's my mods: Stock top end, T5's, ready filter and no snorkle. My elev. is around 700ft and it's around 50-75 degrees right now. I still have the TORS connected. I know, i gotta get rid of it....

I just installed my T5's(thanks NYUK!) this weekend along with new main jets. I bought 270's, 280's and 290's. I put the 280's in so i'd have room to adjust up or down. I sprayed down the inside of the carbs with carb cleaner while i changed out the jets.(had 220's in it) It ran great before with the stock pipes. When i first cranked it up, It acted really funny. The left side sounded great, idled fine, but the right side kinda sounded like it was only firing half the time. This was at idle and all the way up until the powerband hit, then all was well. So i synced the carbs with the idle knowbs on the tors and played with the air screws (actually runs best with them all the way in!) and it seemed to fix the problem, only now it idles really high, but not all the time. When i set it, the idle was fine, then i went out riding for awhile and it would idle really high when i stopped. It will go down to normal idle if i put it under load and lower the rpms(let out the clutch with the brake on, without any throttle) and it will stay that way til i rev it again, then it's back up to the high idling. I tried adjusting the idle knobs down and it kills the motor as soon as i turn them. Can anyone figure this out for me? I rode for about 2 hours like this, probably not the smartest thing, but thost new pipes are wicked. Just gotta figure this idle thing out. Could i need a bigger pilot? Do i need to move my needle jet? Is it something else? I'm not good at figuring out carbs, so help a brother out!

Well what size pilot do you have in there,if you pilot screw is all the way in you need to go bigger.One to one and A half turns out is normal.

Yeah, i have the stock 25's in there....so you think i should go up to a 27.5? I thought most people could run stock pilots with just pipes and a filter?

Thanks for your reply.

Ive had problems like that to-yes-make sure you check for an air leak first.Every time my bike had a high idle like yours(and it all started when i put my pipes on)-well i had bad gas every time.The first time i used some cam 2 that was old and the oil seperated and it did that,then i drained that ran some castor 927 and it ran like a mofo.Then that ran down and i refilled with klotz.I had the exact same prob again.I pulled the carbs apart i dont know how many times,removed my boost bottle for stocker thinking it was cracked,checked reeds everything.I was pissed!Took a look at the bottle of klotz and it said compatible with MOST fully synthetics.I drained the tank and refuelled with castor 927 again.Bitch rips-it was gas the whole damn time-so definately check to make sure your gas aint old and you didnt mix non compatible oils.As for the running wierd on the one side ive had a sit. like that too.Make sure you try new plugs first.Then chec to make sure your silencer is not plugged.We repacked mine on my powercores and rode for like two weeks and it ran like crap.Over bumps it was cool but turning and flat runs it would misfire-both cyls,but the right more than left.Thing wouldnt get out of its own way.Turned out to be the core didnt meet the cap in the silencer and the packing fell down and blocked the core.Removed and got out of the way and hold the *^&%^ on!Just a thought-i always have dumb easy shit happen to me-maybe you to.Oh-make sure your idle screws on your tors are equal-and move them like a pube at a time to find your idle-also make sure your throttle cable isnt sticking anywhere or routed wrong.

Ive had problems like that to-yes-make sure you check for an air leak first.Every time my bike had a high idle like yours(and it all started when i put my pipes on)-well i had bad gas every time.The first time i used some cam 2 that was old and the oil seperated and it did that,then i drained that ran some castor 927 and it ran like a mofo.Then that ran down and i refilled with klotz.I had the exact same prob again.I pulled the carbs apart i dont know how many times,removed my boost bottle for stocker thinking it was cracked,checked reeds everything.I was pissed!Took a look at the bottle of klotz and it said compatible with MOST fully synthetics.I drained the tank and refuelled with castor 927 again.Bitch rips-it was gas the whole damn time-so definately check to make sure your gas aint old and you didnt mix non compatible oils.As for the running wierd on the one side ive had a sit. like that too.Make sure you try new plugs first.Then chec to make sure your silencer is not plugged.We repacked mine on my powercores and rode for like two weeks and it ran like crap.Over bumps it was cool but turning and flat runs it would misfire-both cyls,but the right more than left.Thing wouldnt get out of its own way.Turned out to be the core didnt meet the cap in the silencer and the packing fell down and blocked the core.Removed and got out of the way and hold the *^&%^ on!Just a thought-i always have dumb easy shit happen to me-maybe you to.Oh-make sure your idle screws on your tors are equal-and move them like a pube at a time to find your idle-also make sure your throttle cable isnt sticking anywhere or routed wrong.

Thanks for the input guys. After i adjusted alittle bit, my carb tops kept coming loose as i rode, not sure if i fixed the problem cause i didn't have time to go back out and ride it. My left carb top was really loose, turns out the bracket thing that holds it in place wasn't holding it, so i bent it to hold the top better. Should i use a bit of Locktight? Then i notice the right side was a little loose, so i did the same thing to it. That'll probably fix the high idle, i hope, then i just hope it fixes the little bit of misfire in the right cylinder.

Funny thing is, i forgot to turn my gas back on once, and when i ran the carbs out, the right side ran out way before the left side ran out. For some reason, that doesn't sound right. Any ideas? That should signal a problem somewhere???? I wish i had time to ride it again, but i keep it away from home and i had to go home, so time was against me. i'll probably get back down there this weekend. I'll check my silencer's to see if they are blocking any flow as well....

Again, thanks for the reply's, this site is so much help with troubleshooting!

Edited by Watts

Id say if anything with your gas off and your one side stays on longer-the only thing i see it being is your float level might be a little higher on one side keeping more gas in the carb-if its not coming out of the overflow though i wouldnt even f with it.

post-23887-1176353496_thumb.jpg