CDI ?'s. Real question, not BS!

phx450

I did some searching for this on a couple of sights, but here we go.

My 4 mill is complete. Its on Gas, your typical setup. The only thing stock i have left on the bike is the electrical, and the radiator.

I'm looking for some real data on HP difference with Stock Coil, CDI, etc vs. Aftermarket. It runs great now, but as always i still want every bit of HP. Does anyone have any Dyno Graphs of stock vs any aftermarket electrical?

The radiator keeps the bike cool, i have thought about getting an aftermarket radiator but still not sold on it. PWR claims more cooling, and i know that more cooling is always a good thing for HP

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Nology coil w/ hotwires and Dyna igntion for three reasons.

I didn't save money building my cub...wasn't going to save on the ignition.

My ignition was from 96....10 years old...didn't want to chance it.

And....I had every intention of running alky on my bike. Alky needs a little better spark than gas to light it off...so, I wanted to be covered.

Now....your question.

Cheap aftermarket boxes (100 bucks) advance the timing a few degrees....but they can NOT increase your RPMs by 1000 as they claim to. Your pipes, intakes and porting decide that.

You can increase your timing with a 35 dollar timing plate.

Now....a Dyna is programmable. I don't think I'm gonna be pulling 20 HP out of programming my ignition, but...I expect to see a handful of HP.

So...if I spend 100 bucks on a cable and software, then spend another 50 to 100 for dyno time to create a custom ignition curve and I walk out with more tourque and an additional 3 to 8HP...it's worth it to me....

ive ran the stock ignition on alcohol for a long while, the only difference was i ran b9es plugs.. with a timing plate i set it anywhere from 6-10 degrees advanced..

another alternative past the dana boxes would be a pvl.. that is a direct fire ignition that doesnt use a cdi..

Now....a Dyna is programmable. I don't think I'm gonna be pulling 20 HP out of programming my ignition, but...I expect to see a handful of HP.

So...if I spend 100 bucks on a cable and software, then spend another 50 to 100 for dyno time to create a custom ignition curve and I walk out with more tourque and an additional 3 to 8HP...it's worth it to me....

I run the same components as Dave just mentioned.

If you are going to run on any sort of exotic fuel, a programmable ignition is a must have. The way I look at horsepower improvents via ignition up grades is that it is sort of like recovering a percentage of lost horsepower, as opposed to making new horsepower. That may not make sense when typed out.

You will recover a percentage of lost power with a programmable ignition. The more horsepower your engine is capaable of the mor power you will get from an ignition upgrade.

There is a downside to the programmable ignition. If you don't know what you are doing when you play with the ignition maps, or cannot find a competent person to pay to do it for you, there is a good chance that you would have been better off without a programmable ignition. :thumbsup:

The nice part about a programmable is you can custom curve the engine's needs.

A timing plate will advance (or retard) the timing statically across the board. Of course the stock CDI has a timing curve built in...but....yeah, if it was that great, there wouldn't be timing plates.

Anywho....

With a programmable, you can run a lot more advance at lower to Mid-RPMs...for more punch....but retard it for mid to higher rpms for the overrev and top end pull.

Best of both worlds...

use the stock stuff. no need for aftermarket. spend your money somewhere else. we have used stock on everything from 4mils to 18mils. people like a&s, K&T ....... use STOCK STUFF.

That's either really odd generalization you are making with that statement, or you have no idea what you are talking about.

Most of the large engines from the builders you mentioned use a PVL style ignition and not OEM stuff. The smaller motors they build generally do not have a reccomended igition setup and people use whatever they want.

There is generally nothing wrong with an OEM CDI unit, but it's pretty hard to beat the benefits of a Dyna box with a Nology coil and wires.

535 banshee has the fastest time here in Fl in the 1/4 mile ( Ibelieve it was a 5.80)with a banshee motor with stock ignition, we all down here in the south east mostly run stock ignition, with an adjustable timing plate, and we are NO sloutch to the rest of the world.

We are bringing some of our bike to the "battle of the builders race" in Wynoka, Oklahoma memorial day weekend, Bring your stuff out and show us how much gain you have with it over our stock ignition parts. Oh, by the way I am only running a little baby 4 mil, BUT it runs, so get ready LOL

Edited by dynodon

535 banshee has the fastest time here in Fl in the 1/4 mile ( Ibelieve it was a 5.80)with a banshee motor with stock ignition, we all down here in the south east mostly run stock ignition, with an adjustable timing plate, and we are NO sloutch to the rest of the world.

We are bringing some of our bike to the "battle of the builders race" in Wynoka, Oklahoma memorial day weekend, Bring your stuff out and show us how much gain you have with it over our stock ignition parts. Oh, by the way I am only running a little baby 4 mil, BUT it runs, so get ready LOL

I have heard some interesting things about you Douth Florida pavement guys. Are you guys actually going to show up in Oklahoma this time? I seem to recall that atleast a few people from Florida every year, for the past several years, always say they are going on one of the HQ rides in Oklahoma, but they never show up. I seem to remember one of the classic excuses being that sand racing was for pussys and that's why no one from Florida showed up.

Are you sure that 5.8 is a 1/4 mile time? It kind of seems like an 1/8 mile time. But, what the hell do I know, certainly nothing about engines or racing.

My bad, YES it was an 1/8 mile pass.

I know that no-one from our group has ever made the claim to go to Oklahoma!!! A couple of us said we were gonna goto PS last year to check it out, and we went.

Most of our group isnt asphalt guys, we are sand guys. The pic of my bike has slicks on it due to the road is right here to get the jetting close.