Newbie from Central Ca

Hello all! I've had my '97 for 3 years and I just bought my wife an '06 Raptor ( :rolleyes: she wanted to be able to push a button to start it :rolleyes:). Anyway, I haven't ridden either one much, but now that we both have one I foresee a lot of Pismo trips. As a result I've decided that it's time to clean up my junk and do some mods. I'm familiar with the search function so I'll always try that first, but I may still end up askin a question. :geek: Please don't flame too much. It already has aftermarket pipes (FMF), but I'm not sure of the carb specs. I suppose the best way to find out is to just tear down and start over. I replaced the clutch (myself) about 4 months after I first bought it and that wasn't too hard. I think I should be able to do just about anything else to it as long as I look at the manual and take my time. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Cool man, i'm in central ca too.

Should I assume by your screen name you're in Hollister? I've been wanting to get over there with the Jeep. I've heard there is an area you can ride ATV's, but you have to stay there and can't hit the trails with them. I'm in Fresno. I wish there was a place closer then pismo to do some riding. My wife and I were talking about buying some land and building a track, but that takes a lot of money and time.....either of which we don't have mass quantities of.

Welcome! :beer: Hollister is a great place to ride. Me and Hollister_Hitman (who yes lives in Hollister lol) ride there at least once a week. They have separate areas for the 4x4 trucks and for the atvs/dirtbikes just so they don't have any accidents. The atv area is 2400 acres (64 miles of trails) while the 4x4 one is only 800 acres(24 miles of trails). You can ride for hours through all the trails. They also have a track but they don't maintain it that often. Still fun though.

Here's a map of the atv riding area:

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=1180

And the 4x4 truck area:

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=1181

Should I assume by your screen name you're in Hollister? I've been wanting to get over there with the Jeep. I've heard there is an area you can ride ATV's, but you have to stay there and can't hit the trails with them. I'm in Fresno. I wish there was a place closer then pismo to do some riding. My wife and I were talking about buying some land and building a track, but that takes a lot of money and time.....either of which we don't have mass quantities of.

Hollister is a great place to ride. There 4x4 area where you would take your jeep is a 4x4 area only. Atv's and dirtbike aren't allowed there.

Then there is an atv/dirtbike area. There are 2 tracks that allow atvs. 1 is atv's only and the other is dirtbike/atvs. The atv track is a begginer track with 4 tabletops. The other track is never groomed and the jumps are small. Both tracks are off of the same trail. There are tons of trails and they are 95% 1 way only. They are also marked easy/medium/difficult.

here is a picture of the track

100_1876.jpg

Welcome to the HQ... I'm also in Central cali....I'm south of you by about 45 minutes...Hanford to be exact off of HWY41. There's not much riding on our area.. The closest places are Hollister and pismo, unless you want to drive 6 hours to Fallon Nv, to sand Mountain(where I'm currently at until Saturday)....Not worth the drive unless you take like 3-4 days off of work. If there are any other places to ride it's either illegal to ride there or it's on Private property. There are some trial riding spots up by Huntington and Shaver Lakes. Never been to them but I hear there's some pretty good riding up there. Give a holler and we'll try to hook up on a ride some time.

Hey jeep welcome to the hq. I live in visalia which is just a stones throw from fresno. anyways there is a couple places you can ride if you like dirt that are about a hour away maybee closer. Try out Miami trails its by bass lake there is some crazy shit to ride up there for all skill levels but its mostly a summertime ride spot, its always quiet there never too many people there. also there is a good place to ride out in avenal but it can get a little dusty but with the recent rain its been ok.

Thanks for the welcome! I hit Miami the day after I bought my quad. :biggrin: And the first time I exited the seat in a forward motion was up on the trails above Shaver. I was at Pismo this weekend and there were the most Banshees I've ever seen there. Usually I've seen a couple and the 4 strokes always out number them at the drags. This time it was the other way around. However, I was able to beat a few of the 4 strokes and I couldn't even get out of 3rd gear!

What's your guys opinion on shifting? My buddy that talked me into gettin a quad in the first place says he never clutches when he's haulin balls out. That's pretty much the way I ride, but it doesn't seem to be working that well when I'm draggin.

Hey jeep welcome to the hq. I live in visalia which is just a stones throw from fresno. anyways there is a couple places you can ride if you like dirt that are about a hour away maybee closer. Try out Miami trails its by bass lake there is some crazy shit to ride up there for all skill levels but its mostly a summertime ride spot, its always quiet there never too many people there. also there is a good place to ride out in avenal but it can get a little dusty but with the recent rain its been ok.

Where's this place out by Avenal?? Never heard of any places near there. Heard of a few by Coalinga

Another good spot if you like to ride a track is Lagrange in merced has a pretty nice track and some good hillclimbs with some stepups. its 5 bucks to get in there I have also heard of 2 tracks in madera but I havent been there and on the avenal question ill get some directions for ya Its out by some old plant I usually ride with a buddy out there and he knows the way lol

Went out to ride avenal today and 2 rangers were parked at the entrance they closed it down, yet another ohv park closed due to some stupid assbags. The rangers told me that some of the farmers caught some dumbfucks chasing their sheep and they broke a gas line also. They also told me they messed up some endangered species land so there went that riding spot forever. I really hate california at times, it happens time and time again some retards go and ruin someones property and screw it up for everyone does every state have assclowns like this. I need to buy a bunch of land in colorado or wyoming and build a track and go to dunes where noone is going to beat the hell out of the land its hard enough with all the enviros trying to shut everything down. We will be lucky if we get to keep pismo after june of next year