Coolant Leak

I was installing a new clutch calble when I noticed a small leak. Why do I have this leak?

Anyone ever had this problem? Suggestions before I start taking the side cover apart?

It's not the hose nor the tube that comes thru the case. Fluid is coming out from around the tube.

See the picture below...

IMG_0227-1.jpg

:thanks:

Ok, I drained the rad fluid & tranny fluid, removed the cover. I see the O ring, but it doesn't seem damanged, I'll pick one up tomorrow to replace as well as new cover gasket. Another ??, Is the tube to move freely right now? I have some play there. By looking at the inside of the cover it looks like it would all pressure it together & keep from moving. Also, what adhesive are you guys using with the cover gasket. Thanks again.

IMG_0241.jpg

Ok, I drained the rad fluid & tranny fluid, removed the cover. I see the O ring, but it doesn't seem damanged, I'll pick one up tomorrow to replace as well as new cover gasket. Another ??, Is the tube to move freely right now? I have some play there. By looking at the inside of the cover it looks like it would all pressure it together & keep from moving. Also, what adhesive are you guys using with the cover gasket. Thanks again.

IMG_0241.jpg

It will move a bit with the cover off. When you put the cover back on it will push it against that clip and that's as far as it will go. Make sure you rotate the motor a bit to get the water pump gear in mesh with the crank gear and don't just hammer it on or otherwise you could damage the plastic gear.

You may not see any imperfections in the o-ring but it might be flattened on one side. Make sure you clutch cover does not have and burrs in it when you assemble or it will cut oring. I usually put a light bead of silicone on oring before assemble just to ensure a good seal. Use sparingly.

You may not see any imperfections in the o-ring but it might be flattened on one side. Make sure you clutch cover does not have and burrs in it when you assemble or it will cut oring. I usually put a light bead of silicone on oring before assemble just to ensure a good seal. Use sparingly.

I agree with the statement that the o-ring maybe damaged, shrunken, or swollen without it readily appearing to be.

I disagree with putting silicon on the o-ring during assembly. If you need something to lubricate the o-ring or to hold it in place use a petroleum based grease or Vaseline. Depending on the o-ring material and the silicon used you can ruin the o-ring with the silicon if the silicon happens to be solvent in a chemical that the o-ring is solvent in. There are several other fluke failures that can come from this practice as well. To be safe, don't do it. :down:

The Oring does look slightly flattened in some areas. So additional silicone is not helpfull for this fix? The Oring will give me that secure seal? I think previous owner did apply silicone, look closely behind the Oring.. You can see a darker color, when i rub it off it's like a rubbery type substance. That area should be clear from all debris right? Thanks guys.

The Oring does look slightly flattened in some areas. So additional silicone is not helpfull for this fix? The Oring will give me that secure seal? I think previous owner did apply silicone, look closely behind the Oring.. You can see a darker color, when i rub it off it's like a rubbery type substance. That area should be clear from all debris right? Thanks guys.

I wouldn't put silicon on it. I would just dab some grease on there so that o-ring doesn't tear during assembly. You shouldn't need silicon on that joint unless the tube is deformed or something along thise lines.

Yeah, the area should be clear of debris. :thumbsup:

I finished this up last week. Replaced the Oring & no more leaks. Took her out to the trails yesterday & all is good.

Here's how I cleaned the surface on case & cover.

I used a light coat of RTV, also helps keep the gasket in place while guiding the cover. As I go along and work on my bike & replace stock screws will allen head screws. It's a must for this situation. I'll never have that problem again where trying to removed old screws with a screwdriver.

CaseCover003.jpg

CaseCover004.jpg