Which wheels/tires to choose?

jlsparky7

Which wheels/tires?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Im buying a wheel/tire kit from rockymountainatv.com and need to know which combo I would be best off with. Also could someone please take the time to explain the differences in the wheels to me. I think ive pretty much decided on the razr's simply because they are 25% cheaper.

I have Holeshot HD's for trail/woods riding so I would only need them for MX.

Also, which wheels are the douglas red label? Ive been reccomended to get those by serveral people.

i THINK that the red labels are the .190. Not 100% sure tho. ive got red labels on the front of my shee but they are way too soft for mx....had to get rings welded into them. Had red labels on the rear n they were bent really bad after 2 racing events so i went to hipers.

there are new yellow label wheels out which are supposed to be stronger than the reds.

I thought red labels, or .190's were the thickest? Only thing stronger is suppost to be the rolled edge rims, ones with the reinforcement ring, or beadlocks.

I'd go with a set of beadlocks and with 18" mx klaws or 18-19" Holeshots.

Oh and hipers usually run in the 350 dollar range for rears alone from what I've seen. They just went up on their price.

Edited by Trick2stroke

Got a link for the hipers? How much do they run?

Alright thanks for the update. I cant picture myself bending the thickest rims douglas makes. :confused:

Maybe though.

Anyone else have opinions on rims/tires?

yeah wait until April when the neww hipers come out. They will be 1lb lighter than the current ones and around the same price or cheaper. They will be all carbon fiber with no aluminium center

The red label .190 are the thickest standard wheel Douglas offers, however you will get flat spots very easily on them from jumping because there is just one layer of aluminum at the lip.

You want any wheel that has a round lip like the stockers do, reinforcing rings like omf or itp bajas, or of course beadlocks which are the best. You can also change your own tires without a beadbreaker with beadlocks.

I believe all Douglas Ultimates and ITP T9 Pro wheels have a rolled lip as well as the stockers. If it were me, I'd probably use stock fronts and get a set of 8" beadlocks for the rear.

Also, for tires don't forget that 18x9.5x8 Turf Tamers are excellent rear mx tires. You sure can't beat the price of them. And if you always ride on very hardpacked tracks, you cannot beat the old school grooved radials.... and they last just about FOREVER!!! There are many different designs of them here is one. http://www.kandkatv.com/store/product_info...68272aa2c6af64c

• 4 weeks later...
+1

BTW trick, how those treating you? And i see you moved on from the blaster to a shee....

Ben

Hey Ben, long time no see.

Yeah, I finally took the leap. Found a good deal on a shee and jumped on it. Lovin' the change.

The locks have treated me well, I'm thinking about trying some Knarly's or some mx shots soon, the Klaws have been great though.