CPI pipes problem

SPY

Hi guys I'm new here and had a question about my CPI in frame pipes. After my last ride I started the bike and It apppears I have an exhaust leak coming from the welded seam on the top of one of the pipes. I really cant see a hole but if I put my finger over it it stops. I have no clue how it happened since its not anywhere near the frame so there is no chance of it rubbing. The bike has bever been wrecked etc. My question is, do I have to get a new pipe? Can I buy just one? Can this be fixed or welded even though the pipes are chromed? Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

pipes are tig welded i dont kno if u can tig over chrome ud have a bluing over wherever it was welded u should be able to send them to CPI thats factory defect their welds should hold

Yeah, I need to call CPI but the bike is an 02 and I bought it used so I have no clue how old the pipes are. I read there policy on the website and it doesnt sound like its something they would warrenty. I should at least place a call to make sure.

Yeah, I need to call CPI but the bike is an 02 and I bought it used so I have no clue how old the pipes are. I read there policy on the website and it doesnt sound like its something they would warrenty. I should at least place a call to make sure.

i wonder what kind of metal they are made of.

Its on the main pipe right in the heart of the expansion chamber, right smack on top.

The pipes are made of mild steel. Since it's not structural you can TIG weld ovver the stop of the chrome. That shouls take care of the leak. The problem with doing that is you will wind up with a blued spot on top of the pipe and it will certainly rust where the filler rod is. You may be better off brazing the hole shut. I never had good luck with TIG welding used pipes as the exhaust residue on the inside of the pipe tends to get into the weld and turn it to shit pretty easily.

What I would actually do is call CPI and see how they can help you. They are a pretty good company and they might be able to help. :thumbsup:

FYI I sent an email to CPI and they said I could send it back and they would repair it for $30 and Rechrome it for $50. They will also sell me one side for $200. So it looks like I will be sending it in to them for repair.

That sounds like a good plan and is completely reasonable. :thumbsup:

I wouldnt accept that. I would make a big deal about that. I think there pipes run great but the quality sucks big time. do a search and you will find alot of costomers that are not that happy. I know the chrome on mine sucked, thats why I had them ceramic coated. One of the silencers didnt even have a bead on them, only tacked. and the hanger on the left head pipe could have been moved a little to the inside so the damn pipe wouldnt rub on my cool head. Its just my opinion that their workmanship blows.

Ceramic coated? My shearers need rechromed (they are brand new and had fucked up chrome). Do you have any pic of this ceramic coating, and where did you get it done?

I wouldnt accept that. I would make a big deal about that. I think there pipes run great but the quality sucks big time. do a search and you will find alot of costomers that are not that happy. I know the chrome on mine sucked, thats why I had them ceramic coated. One of the silencers didnt even have a bead on them, only tacked. and the hanger on the left head pipe could have been moved a little to the inside so the damn pipe wouldnt rub on my cool head. Its just my opinion that their workmanship blows.

If he got the pipes second hand they are certainly not going to do anything special for him. It would have been nice if they offered to fix them for free, but put yourself intheir position. They price they gave him for the work is discounted a bit I expect. If it were me, I would probably fix it for free and juts charge for the chroming. I fee l it would be a completely different situation if you just ordered them directly and they came fresh out of the box that way. That is what most of the people who had wuality issues with CPI are talking about. :thumbsup: