250r

87_shee

I know it has nothing to do with banshee's but the HQ seems to be the best site for info I have found yet so bare with me.

Well I've been looking at a 250r thats around here for a while now and I'm thinking about buying it in the spring. I Don't know alot about them, and that is the only one i know of around here. So my question is to those of you that have or had one. I keep hearing that they are very unreliable and tend to blow up alot. Is there any truth to that? I know I heard that about banshees but if properley maintained & looked after I find my banshee to be very reliable. Do you think I am just going to have a constant headache with this or should it be pretty tough? I plan to use it as a trail bike, so it would have to be able to withstand rides that can be more than a few hours long. Any input would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know any forums where I could do some reading about them?

Are we talking about a Honda TRX250R or a Suzuki Lt250R? The Honda's are super reliable. The Suzuki's tend to have a few more problems. But at any rate, understand that you will be buying a quad that is 15-22 years old. Many things are going to start wearing out if they haven't been taken care of already.

Edited by blaster668

Guess i should have been more clear. Its a honda and it has been completely rebuilt. New crank, 20 over with wiseco, mild port , fmf fatty, v-force 2, Rebuilt works dual rate front and rear, New chain, sprockets, guides and case saver, durablue +2, fresh powdercoat frame, new maier balck pastics, Anti vibe stem, terry cable throtle , new tires on beadlocks and 2 sets of spare tire and rims, steering satbilizer(not sure what kind), fresh brakes all around, new bearings. Comes with an extra cylinder and a head that has been modded for high compression. Probably more than that but thats all i can think of. He wants 2500 but I know I can beat him down lower than that. I relize how old it is, but my shee is a 87 and was a complete piece of shit when i got it and i paid 1000 for it and had to completly rebuild it.

So you say the hondas are pretty reliable? I would like to be able to put skidplates and a oversize tank and make this my trail bike, rather then spending all that money trying to make my shee more woods friendly. How are they power wise? Most of my riding buddys have raptors and 450s , How would the 250 keep up with those? I was thinkin about buying a 4 poke for trails, but i am a die hard 2 stroke fan and would much rather add an R to my collection than a 4 poke. To me there is no better feelin that smoking someone on a new hightech 450 with my 20 year old 2 stroke... :biggrin:

I bought a Honda 250R for my girlfriend to ride and I ended up loveing it. It is now my all purpose quad. I beat the shit out of it, my friends ride it, and my girl learned on it. Very reliable if you take care of it, keep an eye on your plugs and such. Handles way better than a Banshee. A Raptor and 450 will beat it in a drag race if you are talking basically stock, but the R will hang w/either in the trails just fine. I can fly on mine. I don't think you would be disappointed.

If it's a stock frame, take a good look in the swingarm mounting area. One of the common things on stock R frames if they are jumped a lot is for the swingarm to actually move forward and bust the cases. This is usually only seen on bikes that have been MX'ed. That area is fairly easy to fix and reinforce. Also, You may end up needing to do some electrical work as wires tend to get brittle with age.

Thanks for the replys, Im glad to hear that they are reliable. I will make sure I check it over good before i buy. How is the power in one of these...Do they have much more bottom end then a shee? Im assuming the powerband is much smoother then a shee?

Does anyone know any sites similar to the HQ but for R's? I have lots of questions, but i would rather read and find out for myself rather then constantly asking questions about it on a site for that is specifically for shees.

If it's a stock frame, take a good look in the swingarm mounting area. One of the common things on stock R frames if they are jumped a lot is for the swingarm to actually move forward and bust the cases. This is usually only seen on bikes that have been MX'ed. That area is fairly easy to fix and reinforce. Also, You may end up needing to do some electrical work as wires tend to get brittle with age.

:thumbsup: Definately, the few I looked at around here all had those problems. The problem with the R is that theyare all at least 20 years old now, also, Honda used a square tube style frame. The square tubing is more resistant to bending, but will fatigure easier. That's why the Laeger frames change to the round tubing. The footpeg mounts, motor mounts, and swingarms are the areas that fatigure the easiest. Theyare sick bikes, but for the price they command, I would be a little hesitant. I looked into one a while back, and I looked at a few, and then gave up, for the 3 grand or so people want for them, your half way to a brand new 450R, or some decent used bikes. Just my .02 though.

:thumbsup: Definately, the few I looked at around here all had those problems. The problem with the R is that theyare all at least 20 years old now, also, Honda used a square tube style frame. The square tubing is more resistant to bending, but will fatigure easier. That's why the Laeger frames change to the round tubing. The footpeg mounts, motor mounts, and swingarms are the areas that fatigure the easiest. Theyare sick bikes, but for the price they command, I would be a little hesitant. I looked into one a while back, and I looked at a few, and then gave up, for the 3 grand or so people want for them, your half way to a brand new 450R, or some decent used bikes. Just my .02 though.

Ouch... I thought Honda stuck it out until 1991 like Suzuki. It looks like they stopped making them in 1989 according to Kelly Blue Book.

Sad part is... I remember those days and I could swear they made them for those last couple years.