Piston and Crankshaft Questions

gooberff

I have a 92 banshee( original owner) and I have the original pistons in the motor. I have also always heard that the crankshaft is a weak point in these motors. My bike runs fine but the age is beginning to concern me. Should I be proactive and replace the pistons and crankshaft? If so, I have more questions:

When replacing pistons do you need to have the cylinders off and pistons out before buying the new piston to determine the size needed after honing the cylinders(I don't know how scratched up the walls will be).

Rocky mountain has the HotRod Crankshaft assembly. aside from gaskets what other parts

( bearings,seals, etc.) will i need to purchase?

If you want your motor to last, i would replace it.

1. Hot rod crank

2. Cometic gasket kit

3. All new seals

4. Yamabond 4 for cases

5. Your choice pistons(anything by wiseco)

6. Needle bearings

When the shop does the bore, they will let you know what size to buy or you can order them there. You should only pay about 40 bucks per cylinder to bore, chamfer, and hone. Otherwise your gettin ripped off.

Or if you are just gonna hone, (which i do NOT recomend on that old a motor), just take the head off and buy the same size piston thats in there. (its stamped on the top)

do a compression test if your still good then theres no reason to replace it yet.. how ever when you do replace it, if you choose to stay with the stock crank have it welded... thats what weak on them not the whole thing... th crank its self is fine you need it to be welded so it doesnt come apart...

If you want to bore the cyl. you will have to get a different piston. You sould decide on what size you want and get them then take it and get it bored so they can match the cyls to the pistons. If you do not have any engine mods you could get away with just honing the cyls. and put some new pistons in. In stock form you should not have any problems with the crank. If you have cool head with small domes or if your head is shaved you might want to pull it out and get it welded and new bearings installed. I have had good luck with honing mine out and installing new pistons saves life on the cylinders.