More pressure coming out of one pipe

tmac20031

I have seen a few threads about more smoke coming out of one pipe than the other but what Im having a problem with is not necesaraliy more smoke coming out of one pipe but more pressure as well a little more smoke. It seems like both pistons are fireing because it runs great but when I put my hand to feel the pressure coming out, the right side pressure is less than the left side. Im pretty sure its not the carbs either because I pulled them out to install V-forces a while back and they both looked clean and were jetted properly. I would appreciate all the help I can get. thanks.

Alright man thanks. I cant do it now, but what if it is compression and its too low, what would be the step to fix it. And on the contrary, what if its not, what else could be the peoblem. thanks again.

If compression is low, you'll be rebuilding the top end, porbably bore, hone, new pistons and rings. Also, make sure the carb bowls are not swapped. They are unique for each side, I did that on mine once.

Hard to say...start with that.

You need a good quality tester, not a cheapy special from an auto store.

Sears/Craftsman sells a quality unit for 60 bucks, which...will do just about any small engine or car.

Next, warm the bike all the way up, remove both spark plugs, thread the tester in...hold the throttle wide open and keep kicking until the gauge doesn't go up anymore. It could very well and often does take 15 to 20 kicks.....so....KEEP GOING until it doesn't move.

Repeat for the other side....post what you come up with.

If compression is low, you'll be rebuilding the top end, porbably bore, hone, new pistons and rings. Also, make sure the carb bowls are not swapped. They are unique for each side, I did that on mine once.

R u serious, man I hope its not low, thall be a pain in the @ss.

Hard to say...start with that.

You need a good quality tester, not a cheapy special from an auto store.

Sears/Craftsman sells a quality unit for 60 bucks, which...will do just about any small engine or car.

Next, warm the bike all the way up, remove both spark plugs, thread the tester in...hold the throttle wide open and keep kicking until the gauge doesn't go up anymore. It could very well and often does take 15 to 20 kicks.....so....KEEP GOING until it doesn't move.

Repeat for the other side....post what you come up with.

Alright man, thanks. Are you sure I should warm it up or test it when its cold.

Yea when your bike is warmed up the pistons expand. More accurate reading that way. Also rebuilding a top end is easy as pie. With all the parts in hand it should only take about an hr to put it all together. 2-4 hours if you never done it before and take your sweet time to make sure everything is perfect.

Yea when your bike is warmed up the pistons expand. More accurate reading that way. Also rebuilding a top end is easy as pie. With all the parts in hand it should only take about an hr to put it all together. 2-4 hours if you never done it before and take your sweet time to make sure everything is perfect.

thats what I dont understand cause I took it to a mechanic and he said it would be better to test when it was cool.

how does it idle???? usely when a 2stroke gets low on comp. it does not want to idle very good.. do you have any ex. leaks on one side ? is one of you stingers getting pluged... or the other one blown all the packing out ? jsut a few things to check.... one slide on the carb opening more then the other.???

Actually, now that you metion it, it use to idle at a good speed but lately it wont idle that great untill its been riden for a little while and its really warmed up.

This is exactly the prognosis: It idles o.k., there are NO leaks because its stored on a tile floor so I would have noticed by now. I also noticed(which I cant believe I havent noticed before) that the side with the problem(near the engine), there is a sort of clik/sputtery type of noise that only that side makes. Its not really loud but then again it might be, I just thought thats what I was supposed to hear but again I only hear it on the one side.

I need some good advice. thanks for all the replys.

Here is an old school trick. Take a piece of wood and stick it on the cylindar that is good and put the wood to your ear and listen to how it sounds. Then do the same on the bad cylindar and see how it sounds. If it sounds like rattleing or anything abnormal that you think you shouldnt hear I would stop running it and tear that engine apart before more damage is caused.

come on now, I need some help here :laugh: t :biggrin:

Ill tell u what-i just experienced this problem on my 99 shee yesterday.My buddy (not exactly w permission) fired my bike up and started ripping donuts on the pavement-floggin the crap out of it-trails of smoke out the exhaust.About when i told him to chill i (we) heard this noise that sounded like if u have ur bike running and tip the kicker back a little,you know that kinda grinding sound-comming from the jugs and bike quit.Didnt want to start but after 6-7 kicks it fired,didnt wanna idle though and backfire now and again.Thought at first it might have been plugs cause i thought maybe his foot hit the kicker back and he just stalled it u know.Put new plugs in it-same thing.Switched plug wires around 2 c if coil was going bad-same.Cleaned carb-same.Ran compression test.I did it fairly warm which u should do it warm but hot or cold ull still c a difference in pressure if u have a weak cylinder.Mine was the right side too.Comp. was way lower.Pulled head and jug and found chunk of piston between the 2 rings missing 1/4 inch and 1 ring busted in half.Luckily all the pieces shot out of the exhaust since there was no scoring below the exhaust port.That pisses me off cause i just got that bike a month ago!!!!I run good oil 2-castor 927,but i do need to get rid of the junk k&n filter.So YES-definately give it a compression test.It takes about 2 mins. and will tell you alot of what ur looking for.Now check this knowing my situation-would i be a douche to make him pay for any of it?He said he'd pay all but im gonna at least pay half.He was overrevving it too-cause if he didnt i wouldnt be asking the question id pay myself.Let me know if thats fair? :shoothead:

Ill tell u what-i just experienced this problem on my 99 shee yesterday.My buddy (not exactly w permission) fired my bike up and started ripping donuts on the pavement-floggin the crap out of it-trails of smoke out the exhaust.About when i told him to chill i (we) heard this noise that sounded like if u have ur bike running and tip the kicker back a little,you know that kinda grinding sound-comming from the jugs and bike quit.Didnt want to start but after 6-7 kicks it fired,didnt wanna idle though and backfire now and again.Thought at first it might have been plugs cause i thought maybe his foot hit the kicker back and he just stalled it u know.Put new plugs in it-same thing.Switched plug wires around 2 c if coil was going bad-same.Cleaned carb-same.Ran compression test.I did it fairly warm which u should do it warm but hot or cold ull still c a difference in pressure if u have a weak cylinder.Mine was the right side too.Comp. was way lower.Pulled head and jug and found chunk of piston between the 2 rings missing 1/4 inch and 1 ring busted in half.Luckily all the pieces shot out of the exhaust since there was no scoring below the exhaust port.That pisses me off cause i just got that bike a month ago!!!!I run good oil 2-castor 927,but i do need to get rid of the junk k&n filter.So YES-definately give it a compression test.It takes about 2 mins. and will tell you alot of what ur looking for.Now check this knowing my situation-would i be a douche to make him pay for any of it?He said he'd pay all but im gonna at least pay half.He was overrevving it too-cause if he didnt i wouldnt be asking the question id pay myself.Let me know if thats fair? :shoothead:

Hell man, Id be pissed. If its not his he shouldnt have been ridin it like he stole it especially in front of your face but if hes a good friend I wouldnt try to make him feel too bad. Just from experiece, a good cousin of mine rode my bike once and when he was done he turned it off, when I went to ride it I turned it on and pressed the throttle and it started boggin like crazy. I spent 20 minutes riding it to try and figure out the problem all while my cousin watched. I got a little upset and he started to feel bad and he apologized when I left. Well, come to find out(thanks to the HQ) the parking brake switch on the handlebars was acting up, I just disconnected it and it rode like a champ, so it wasnt really his fault and I got a little mad at him for nothing and then I had to apologize. In your situation, if hes willing to pay half then you shouldnt push him because it could have been on the verge of failing before he even got on it. I mean it is a banshee and they are meant to be riden like crazy. later.