Your thoughts on this package ?

ZX12_guy

I've just about got the motor back together on my project Banshee, next up is the front suspension...

Overall your thoughts on this deal as far as price and components...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Bans...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've searched the hell out of past threads and maybe overloaded my brain on setups !!! I know Elkas are good as read here, but is this model Elka good when matched up with these a-arms ???

I'll be setting this 'bansh up for hard trail riding and maybe a little time on a MX practice track...The other optiion that I have in the works is Lonestar arms and Ohlins shocks which my local dealer is giving me the racer discount on even though my old azz has no plan of racing...:yelrotflmao:

The only REAL advantage to the long travel shocks is that it's easier for the shock builder to valve it to your specific needs. You aren't gaining that much in travel, in fact with a properly set up standard travel front end or rear end you have nearly the same amount of travel.

I would be more interested in all the adjustments the shock offers and what type of spring it uses.

The only REAL advantage to the long travel shocks is that it's easier for the shock builder to valve it to your specific needs. You aren't gaining that much in travel, in fact with a properly set up standard travel front end or rear end you have nearly the same amount of travel.

I would be more interested in all the adjustments the shock offers and what type of spring it uses.

Yep, and thats only if they actually add any shaft travel to the shock. There have been some setups were there was no additional travel.

As far as adjustment, you should only need compression on the fronts. Thats been one of my biggest pet peeves with elka over the years. As they've gotten bigger, they started offering shocks with more adjustments than anyone needs. Theres no reason for 3 compression, 2 rebound adjustments, and ride height. Their simply doing that to sell more shocks, and to try and help hide the fact that their valving isn't right. 95% of people won't be able to get a fully adjustable shock dialed in like it should be. Its not near as easy as alot of people think, and it takes a lot of time.

As far as adjustment, you should only need compression on the fronts. Thats been one of my biggest pet peeves with elka over the years. As they've gotten bigger, they started offering shocks with more adjustments than anyone needs. Theres no reason for 3 compression, 2 rebound adjustments, and ride height. Their simply doing that to sell more shocks, and to try and help hide the fact that their valving isn't right. 95% of people won't be able to get a fully adjustable shock dialed in like it should be. Its not near as easy as alot of people think, and it takes a lot of time.

Well, you take your compression adjustment only shocks and I'll stick with my more complicated shock with more adjustments. I'd rather have more than enough adjustments than not enough. This way I can have a shock more properly set up for my riding than one that only has compression. They have all those adjustments for a reason, for different riding the shocks require different settings. It's just like your jetting, you're basically saying you'd rather have a carb that could only have the main jet adjusted. Sure everything else would be off when the temperature, elevation, or modifications change but it'd be good enough for you.

Not trying to start anything, just saying. JIMO.

Well, you take your compression adjustment only shocks and I'll stick with my more complicated shock with more adjustments. I'd rather have more than enough adjustments than not enough. This way I can have a shock more properly set up for my riding than one that only has compression. They have all those adjustments for a reason, for different riding the shocks require different settings. It's just like your jetting, you're basically saying you'd rather have a carb that could only have the main jet adjusted. Sure everything else would be off when the temperature, elevation, or modifications change but it'd be good enough for you.

Not trying to start anything, just saying. JIMO.

No, Im saying you can have your super adjustable elkas, I'll take my PEPs any day of the week.

No, Im saying you can have your super adjustable elkas, I'll take my PEPs any day of the week.

Super adjustable Elkas? They have just as many adjustments as all the other manufactuers, including your PEP's. They just came out with a new shock that has, what, one more adjustment than the other guys?

So are you saying that even YFZ450 shocks are too much?

Super adjustable Elkas? They have just as many adjustments as all the other manufactuers, including your PEP's. They just came out with a new shock that has, what, one more adjustment than the other guys?

So are you saying that even YFZ450 shocks are too much?

Think back before Elka was around. The most adjustable shocks you could get were simply rebound and compression (most only had compression). Now, last I saw, you can get Elkas with high/low speed compression, rebound, and that Trac system. The other companies follow suit so they wouldn't be seen as behind the times.

are all those adjustments really that neccesary..?

To each his own I guess. You'll find that talking to people who are involved in racing and if you understand how your suspension works and what is best for you, you'll find that the more adjustments available the better the ride will be for you. But some people are okay with just having something that is at least better than stock, and that's where the bare minimum shocks come into play that barely have any adjustment and have no resivours.

And talking about how other companies followed suit just to not seem so far behind, well that's good that Elka is pushing the other companies to follow. If no company did that we'd still be in the dinosaur age of suspension and frame components. Think back to the 80's and 90's, the aftermarket scene wasn't nearly as big as it is now. There are so many better high quality parts out there now because companies have been coming out with new innovations that are pushing other companies to try and do better. This in return keeps giving us better and better products which will make our machines perform so much better. This is exactly why there are so many quads out there and they keep getting better as the years go by. Companies are pushing each other to compete with one another and give us a better machine. Just imagine if we'd still be stuck with the 300EX style dinosaur of a 4-stroke engine? Innovation and pushing to put out a better product led to the 400EX, which led to the other 400's and then onto the 450's. Just my two cents on that whole issue, whew.

Im with dawarriorman there is really no reason for all those extra adjustments. Sure its cool to have them but you can bet im not gonna spend 800 more for adjustments i will probly never be able to feel. I bet you money the pros out there with the ratarded amount of adjusment shocks cant tell the difference either. I could be wrong but hey thats my oppion. :bunny:

Im with dawarriorman there is really no reason for all those extra adjustments. Sure its cool to have them but you can bet im not gonna spend 800 more for adjustments i will probly never be able to feel. I bet you money the pros out there with the ratarded amount of adjusment shocks cant tell the difference either. I could be wrong but hey thats my oppion. :bunny:

That's perfectly fine, it's your money and you can spend it on whatever you want to spend it on. But if I'm going to be racing and I need to have my suspension set up as best as possible, you bet I'm going to spend the money to have the right suspension adjustments. The more I can adjust things, the better. Just because you don't understand how it works and how to properly set it up, doesn't mean it's a bad things.