#320 mains and still no color?!

Should I have to go bigger or should I start looking for problems elswhere? I have sprayed around carbs while the motor is idling with carb cleaner and havent noticed any erratic idle or anything. Should I have the thing pressure tested or go to 340s or 360s? I never performed a plug chop with stock pipes and air filter so I have no base to go on.

No matter what mods you have, the plug chop should be the same coloring.

Generally...with no airbox and pipes, near sea level with temps in the 65 to 90 degree range, 340ish is average. The porcelin insulator nose can take some time to color, but...if a plug chop is done and done right, it will color right away. If not, you're lean.

http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/plugchop.html

I noticed you run B8ES and not BR8ES. Why is that? Why are your mains so tiny(no offense)?

Because he's running Keihin carbs...their jetting numbers are way off in comparison to Mikuni numbers....

There's no corelation between the two. Mikuni's also go up in size by 10, even numbers. Keihin doesn't....150, 152, 155, 158...and so on.

I noticed you run B8ES and not BR8ES. Why is that? Why are your mains so tiny(no offense)?

I run the b8es because my banshee is an older one. I am not for sure but some time yamaha started using the br8es wich is a resistor spark plug. The B8ES are not resistor plugs. I run a nology coil and there hot wires. They recomend running a non resistor plug to get the maximum spark energy to the plug. The BR8ES has a resistor in it to keep RF interferiance supressed. RF interferiance can cause the cdi to mess up. It is also the ticking sound that you can hear when you listen to the radio when you have bad plug wires or bad conections with the plug wires on your vehicle. I dont know how yamaha delt with the interferiance when they listed the banshee to run B8ES plugs. I think that maybe the spark plug wire termanals had the resistors built in to them. I havent had anyproblems with the non resistor plugs messing with my cdi. I know dyna digital fs cdi's say to use resistor plugs. I dont think you will fry anything if you try B8Es's you might get a miss fire.

Yea and I run keihin carbs.

I use BR8ES...I have the nology w/ hotwires and a Dyna.

No issues...

Did a chop today and finally got it!!! 340s and its about 63F out. I was discouraged til I finally took the time to cut the threads off the plug. Thought Id be able to see color from the top but I was wrong. Tan and about 2mm tall,( not as oily as your pics, booker) I'm satisfied. I know this will be a bit rich in the upper eighties and nineties, but if it rips anything like it does now, I should be able to hang with my buddies 4X4s on the trail. Still doesnt have any low end power, none to speak of til I get on the mains. Pilots? Air screws? Live with it? How many HP are ssts and a K&N good for? I almost soiled myself WOT in sixth! I did go one tooth larger in the front and one smaller in the rear for gas mileage on trail rides, but I guess going up 14 sizes on my main will wipe that out and then some. Thanks for all the help so far guys, I owe you all a beer or three! :baseball_w00t:

Fatty's and a K&N that drops in the airbox? 10HP...maybe.

Put the front back to stock...you'll be geared too tall and not enough motor to pull it in tight trails.

You're on a banshee with two carbs...gas mileage ins't in the equation anymore....

If you think it's fast now...wait till you get bored with just pipes and dip into porting...that's the big difference maker there.

There are two more cheap and excellent mods to help you with trails, and all around.

Lighten the flywheel, and while you have it off, buy an adjustable timing plate.

For about 100 bucks, you can have both and they are great, great mods.

You'll be safely rich if temps rise a bit...

These bikes don't have much down low, but...by shaving the flywheel and advancing the timing, it will rev faster and get on the pipe quicker...a good all around mod.

There are two more cheap and excellent mods to help you with trails, and all around.

Lighten the flywheel, and while you have it off, buy an adjustable timing plate.

For about 100 bucks, you can have both and they are great, great mods.

Just make sure that you get the timing plate and not the deg key. The degree keys are off set and have been known to sheer off.

I need to get my flywheel lightened too. Where does every body get this done at?

I was discouraged til I finally took the time to cut the threads off the plug. Thought Id be able to see color from the top but I was wrong. Tan and about 2mm tall,( not as oily as your pics, booker) I'm satisfied.

Yea when i did my first one too I kind of freeked out too. Cut the threads off and there it was.