CPI's Installed but...

So many issues, they do look good once installed though..

1) The stingers would not slide over the Expansion chambers outlet. I expected this to be an issue since it is really common so after a $12 sanding wheel for the dermel and honing out the stinger a bit they would slide together.

2) We noticed the silencer was mounted at an angle to the stinger (right side) and there was a gap between the stinger tube and the silencer. We removed the silencer and found there were some beads left from the welding between them. I knocked them off and then the stinger was nearly flush to the silencer. I still need to buy some high-temp silicon to make a new seal.

3) The next difficulty was on the right pipe. The silencer would not slide over the expansion chamber far enough so that the pipes could be bolted to the frame. We had to take a Grinder and shorten the outlet of the expansion chamber (it was not even straight as if it was cut off at an angle) After some Serious grinding and re-sanding we finally managed to bolt the silencer to the frame (Took 2 people to get it into position and bolt it down)

3) Next came the left side, this side would not fit correctly at all. First we made a spacer out of washers to push the pipe away from the head on the bike. We installed the spacer on the stock pipe hangers pushing it out about 1/2 of an inch away from the hanger. The pipe still hit on the head of the bike. We removed the pipe and I had my friend carefully make some precision dents with a ball peen hammer into the expansion chamber on the pipe where it has hitting the head. It was hard to watch him make a dent into my brand new $600 pipes. After both the spacer and the dent, the pipe now clears the NOSS head by a mm or 2 and the pipes mount up.

4) The stingers currently are touching the subframe rails...

CPIdent2.jpg

Pic of the dent I had to add to them in order for them to bolt up correctly

CPIdent.jpg

Another pic of the dent...

CPI3.jpg

CPISpacer.jpg

With just the spacer the pipes would not mount. To avoid the dent the spacer would have to be about 2-3 inches long! And then the stinger would not line up correctly as it would be pointed towards the center of the bike..

Well these were a waste of money so far, got rid of my FMF's because I wanted a better quality pipe...And well there you have it..

Edited by Justintoxicated

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, Brand new shipped directly from CPI. Frame is also brand new fresh out of a crate so it is not like I rolled it or any such thing.

CPI does not really seem to care much either, I have contacted them and sent the same pictures to them earlier this week. I called them again today and they had not done anything with the email I sent. They said they would show it to their boss (whoever was on the phone) and they will respond soon, but I have my doubts...

My CPIs fit like crap too. I have not had to put a dent in the left expansion chamber

yet. It cleared the stock head, but I had to put the spacer in as you did to keep the

pipe from rubbing on the verticle frame member right in front of the engine.

I also didnt have a problem with the silencers mounting to the expansion chambers.

How do your silencers look while mounted. Are they straight with your subframe?

Or are they crooked like this?

The quality of the CPIs are definately lacking. I was pissed untill i got down on em and

they performed better than the fatties that I had. I cant wait to see what they do with

my new motor.

Hey...Justin.

Since you got it all apart...do you mind snapping a picture of underneath the seat.

I'm curious as to how the CPI's route around the carbs and filters in comparison to the RDZ/Shearers I have now....

Yeah...I had to shim out my left side pipe too. I think 6 or 8 washers did it...but, I might look for a bronze sleeve...one day...:)

Hey...Justin.

Since you got it all apart...do you mind snapping a picture of underneath the seat.

I'm curious as to how the CPI's route around the carbs and filters in comparison to the RDZ/Shearers I have now....

Yeah...I had to shim out my left side pipe too. I think 6 or 8 washers did it...but, I might look for a bronze sleeve...one day...:)

Well I don't have the filters on yet, I think I want to put some header wrap on them since the Big Bore Tubes will likely touch the outerwears. At least thats how they are on my friends. I was expecting these issues but I think I'll wait for him to resolve it lol, and in the mean time just use some header wrap. (Where can I order this stuff online?)

My CPIs fit like crap too. I have not had to put a dent in the left expansion chamber

yet. It cleared the stock head, but I had to put the spacer in as you did to keep the

pipe from rubbing on the verticle frame member right in front of the engine.

I also didnt have a problem with the silencers mounting to the expansion chambers.

How do your silencers look while mounted. Are they straight with your subframe?

Or are they crooked like this?

The quality of the CPIs are definately lacking. I was pissed untill i got down on em and

they performed better than the fatties that I had. I cant wait to see what they do with

my new motor.

Nope They are straight as an arrow and seem to be even and parallel in the rear, unlike my Fattys that I think were a little off (might have been the subframe though. The dent is only the size of a penny or nickle probably and not very deep, but it's just kind of retarded :shoothead: It will definately not be visable after the gas tank is on at all, I just don't know if it will hurt the resale value, or improve it, since it is needed for them to fit correctly! (not that I will switch anytime soon)

Have you tried running the billet pipe mounts? Maybe they would even up the silencers a bit?

I will get some more picks of the quad soon I'm 90% done with the transfer to the new frame.

Still no response from CPI.

I had the same problems with my CPI's. :banghead: Had to space the hangers way out to keep them off the head. Also had the same problem with the silencers being way off. Picked up a set of silencer hangers from modquad and it helped on leveling the silencers BIG TIME. Looks pretty even now. Gotta love the CPI's though, they put out some awesome power. My FMF's were very respectable, but the CPI's RIP :headbang:

While putting (or trying) to put my Cpi pipes on my bike I think I muct have broke the record saying "UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE"

Same problem as already talk about how they dont fit on the stinger tubes...worth a shit. Mine are not tight but i have the rubber clamps tight enough so they dont leak...

It sure sucks to see you had to dent your pipe like that.. THey SURE NEED SOME QUALITY Control down there at the factory.. every set of pipes they produce seem to have their own list of problems... I think they're trying to mold them for fit on a 87 banshee thats been rolled and tumbled down a huge ass hill.. anyways..

looking from behind my one stinger tube sits slightly higher than the other just like in your pic.. my t-6s where like that too.. (that is the only complaint i have on those well made pipes) and it wasnt quite as out as these are..

How are you getting your front exhaust hanger to hold up? mine keep breaking, I drilled holes through them and bolted them together.. needless to say the bolt break or loosen off(when i locktite, they break)... anyways its a bastard of a deal.. are the aftermarket ones stronger? i see some from rocky mountain that look good but they're not worth 60$ if they split or break the same way....

on the stock frame there are little pipe-stoppers just after the a-arms and on the one side my pipe taps it just at the right angle to miss the rubber stopper and hit the metal plate behind it... on the other side there must be a good 1 INCH! of clearence.. i think im going to take the grinder to that right after i post this and take the god forsaken mount and stopper it right off....My luck it will come flying up and take me in the eye....unfuckenbelievable..

After buying these pipes and attempting to get ahold of CPI to resolve some issuses.. I wish i spent the extra 100$ and bought the GRR inframes.. those boys are at least good to talk to and surely they must have on MEAN pipe for the price they charge.

that all the ranting i got for now.

Still pissed off

Brad

Also had the same problem with the silencers being way off. Picked up a set of silencer hangers from modquad and it helped on leveling the silencers BIG TIME. Looks pretty even now.

I've tried hanging my silencers with the modquad hangers. They still look crooked.

No adjustment whatsoever.

Sell 'em and get Shearers....better fit, cheaper than CPI and GRR...and make more peak power than CPI...and nearly as much as GRR...

More and more I think about it, I just may end up getting some from ol' Mr. Wendorff. :thumb:

I bet even plug chops are child's play with the shearers. :baseball_getlost:

Brother Jeffro...good choice.

:beer:

I will tell you...the chrome isn't the greatest, unless you get Show Chrome...but, I'm more than happy with mine.

They hit like a sunovabitch....and rev FOREVER...

When he isn't so busy...and I'm done riding for a week or two, I'm gonna have Rocketboy shave my flywheel.

I think the pipes I have now are similar to my old T5's. More power and more rev, of course...but, the power delivery is very similar.

When I put the plate and boonman flywheel (since had to replace...) on it....I absolutely loved the bike....

Click on the pic in my sig...and you tell me how much easier the plugs (and gas) are to get to...:)