Made My Own Domes

Got sick of trying to find someone who made a set of domes smaller than 16cc for a good price and no one had any so I said screw it and made my own. Took some block billet fromt he shop and started choppin away. Didn't think to take any pics until I was almost done. Here's a few. Plus its nice to machine them to the exact deck height you need. he he.

DSC006912.jpg

DSC006952.jpg

Got sick of trying to find someone who made a set of domes smaller than 16cc for a good price and no one had any so I said screw it and made my own. Took some block billet fromt he shop and started choppin away. Didn't think to take any pics until I was almost done. Here's a few. Plus its nice to machine them to the exact deck height you need. he he.

DSC006912.jpg

DSC006952.jpg

Those look nice man. I dont think i would have the paticance to do that my self.

Those look nice man. I dont think i would have the paticance to do that my self.

I work in a machine shop and do this sort of thing all day long. The hardest part of all it is the squish band. I have a book that lists the numbers, angles, etc that you need for different stuff. This is my first set of home-made domes so we will see how they run. Should bump compression up another 10-15lbs from where I was at. Really not that hard. Its a little tiny eletrical driven lathe I was using. I work on a HUGE lathe during the day machining new threads in drill pipe for natural gas drilling rigs. I work on pipe that weighs thousands of pounds. Going to the little eletric guy with aluminum was a nice change.

Ever see the swirled domes? Wonder if they have any sort of advantage?

I would claim that they are BS as I cannot see that they add any turbulence to the intake charge. Additionally I think that they would disrupt the laminair flow of gases after the mixture has burned. One would also theorize that all of the nooks and crannys that the swirls create allow for a less complete compustion due to the increase of surface area. Lastly, they probably cost quite a bit more to manufacturer. All in all, they are not worth it in my opinion. :baseball_mitt:

I have been making my own domes for awhile. It's wuite a bit of fun. Yours look very nice. I take my hat off to you as some of my domes do not look as nice as yours and all of my work is done on a CNC lathe. :baseball_original:

You gotta do them by hand to get the real touch! It took a little bit of time to get them cleaned up. Do you get a lot of feed lines on the CNC? I was running at 1970rpm when I was smoothing my feed lines. That little electric lathe was a humming away. I wear a face shield and just get down really close to my tool so I can really see whats going on. I never cared much for the computer controlled stuff, I'm kinda old-school.

I would claim that they are BS as I cannot see that they add any turbulence to the intake charge. Additionally I think that they would disrupt the laminair flow of gases after the mixture has burned. One would also theorize that all of the nooks and crannys that the swirls create allow for a less complete compustion due to the increase of surface area. Lastly, they probably cost quite a bit more to manufacturer. All in all, they are not worth it in my opinion. :baseball_mitt:

There's a lot going on in your head when the air/fuel mixture fires. I would not want any kind of disturbance in the gasses expanding in the chamber. Smooth is def. a better way to go.

looks cool. so when are you going to start building them for sale? :beer:

luisg1

Most of the parts & crap I make I do just for me. I do all my own work on my bike with the exception of porting, and I've even done some of my own port work and think I'm going to get back into it. I like to run my poor beat up shee against some of the stuff I find from big name builders to see how my work compares. Problem is that I can never find any of the big-name builders stuff out around where I live. I have one friend with a F.A.S.T. shee but we never have time to meet up for a comparison.

If there were a way for me to mass-produce any of the stuff I do to my bike I might consider selling some, but since everything is done by hand 1 at a time, its just not worth my time or troubles to try and make enough to sell to turn a profit.

Sorry.

Sometimes I will do work on other peoples bikes if they are close by, but that's only if time permits. I'm busy busy all the time and probably wouldn't even try and take on another build any time soon. Just no time.

I have been making my own domes for awhile. It's wuite a bit of fun. Yours look very nice. I take my hat off to you as some of my domes do not look as nice as yours and all of my work is done on a CNC lathe. :baseball_original:

Don't let the pictures fool you, there are some imperfections in there. I had one intersecting line that I just couldn't get rid of for the life of me. There are some feed lines on the back of the domes from where I was taking huge cuts to remove the material, but I figure they will help with heat transfer to the coolant. Ha Ha

Edited by BigRed350x

You gotta do them by hand to get the real touch! It took a little bit of time to get them cleaned up. Do you get a lot of feed lines on the CNC? I was running at 1970rpm when I was smoothing my feed lines. That little electric lathe was a humming away. I wear a face shield and just get down really close to my tool so I can really see whats going on. I never cared much for the computer controlled stuff, I'm kinda old-school.

There's a lot going on in your head when the air/fuel mixture fires. I would not want any kind of disturbance in the gasses expanding in the chamber. Smooth is def. a better way to go.

There can be alot of feed lines involved if you straight up hand program it or you use a CAM system as I do. The other alternative would be using a canned cycle which cuts out most of the feed lines, all you have to do is define the profile of you finished surface and the control calculates the tool pathes. The downside to that is, if there is something wrong, it can be a bit more of a boat bang to diagnose. The last dome program that I ran, i think I had the spindle up around 4500 rpm and 0.4mmpr.

Old skool is cool, but there aren't that many hand made parts going on F1 cars, unless you count the hand laid composites. :baseball_santa:

There can be alot of feed lines involved if you straight up hand program it or you use a CAM system as I do. The other alternative would be using a canned cycle which cuts out most of the feed lines, all you have to do is define the profile of you finished surface and the control calculates the tool pathes. The downside to that is, if there is something wrong, it can be a bit more of a boat bang to diagnose. The last dome program that I ran, i think I had the spindle up around 4500 rpm and 0.4mmpr.

Old skool is cool, but there aren't that many hand made parts going on F1 cars, unless you count the hand laid composites. :baseball_santa:

That's what I like about the stuff I do. Not many people can hand-make parts for their banshees like this. Its one of the many things I like to think make mine totally different than the millions of others out there. I've made a LOT of parts for my banshee by hand. My next adventure to tackle is home-made straight-cut gears. We have the ability to make some really strong gears at work and the next time I have an afternoon off I am going to start doing some calculations and see if I want a custom ratio...

That's what I like about the stuff I do. Not many people can hand-make parts for their banshees like this. Its one of the many things I like to think make mine totally different than the millions of others out there. I've made a LOT of parts for my banshee by hand. My next adventure to tackle is home-made straight-cut gears. We have the ability to make some really strong gears at work and the next time I have an afternoon off I am going to start doing some calculations and see if I want a custom ratio...

I am running my own straight cut gears right now. However they are not a custom ratio. At the time I was making them, I did not feel that I knew enough about the Banshee drivetrain to be fooling around with that. I'll see if I can find some pictures of me making them when I get home from work, granted I made them on a CNC mill not a manual. All you need is a gear hob and a rotary table to do them on a manual machine. The grinding, lapping, and heat treatment were stumbling blocks for me. I think I would like to of a few more sets of gears this differnt types of heat treatment if I get the bug to do it again.

Can you guys do gear grinding at you shop? If so, you may be my new best friend? :baseball_innocent:

Edited by FireHead

just a random thought however it you want to add a bit more cooling to the head see if you can ditch the stepped pyramid look and try to machine in some real surface area, like fins on an aircooled engine.

I would certainly be afraid to do fins with the Banshee's splash and flush cooling system. The thermal cycling involved would make Al fins break right off. I certainly wouldn't discourage fooling around with studies to see what the optimum surface area is on the outside of the dome versus combustion temperature versus combustion chamber volume. :baseball_original: