my bud just bought a kx 80 locked up

hey guys my bud just bought a 99 kx 80 for 350.00 , but the thing is the guy he bought it from his kids put straight gas in it . now the bike is locked up , we are going to tear it down this week . i just wanted to know what to expect. bent crank? it does not kick , piston seizure? let me know if there are any tricks to getting the jug off thanks

youll be able to tell when you can/cant remove the cylinder. if you can remove the jug the crank is stuck. and if you cant, then the piston is stuck, but the crank may still be stuck also. sucks a bunch. but since youre only dealing one side, its half the price.

the crank is seized, i bought a KX 65 a while ago that was in the same situation. It suprised me how good everything else was, no damage to the cylinder or cases, just the crank was shot and it could of probally needed a new piston. I would expect yours to be similar, mine wouldnt turn over untill i put a little bit of oil in the bottom end, then i was able to turn it over a little then it got stuck again, you could see how hot the crank got with all the discoloring on it.

thanks guys ! how do i get it apart if the piston is stuck to the jug ? split the case?

when my yz490 locked up i had to get a piece of wood and knock the piston loose. you might try letting some penetrating oil sit on it overnight and see if anything happens. :baseball_bat:

oh yeah and if the piston is shattered be sure to get all the pieces out of the case and even if the crank isnt seized check the main bearings and also check the crank for trueness. (make sure its not bent). hope this helps

squirt some oil in the carb and also in the sparkplug hole. leave the plug out and tow that sucker down the road with a tow rope. put it in 2nd or 3rd and pop the clutch. if it wont free up put 2 people on it and try towing it.

the point of freeing it up is so that when you disabbemble the engine (and u will) you wont have to fuck with hammers and wood blocks and trying to get stick piston out. if you can free it up by towing it then disassembly would be loads easier.

i had a banshee along time ago with a cracked ring and for the life of me i could not get the cylinder off. no ammount of hammering on blocks of wood on the piston would budge it. i had to tow it behind a car and pop the clutch. once the piston freed up i could remove the cylinders no problem.

thanks guys ! we got it a part today , the piston was not seized , but shattered and the peices were jammed in between the crank and the case. we pryed the peices out tomorrow we are going to try to get the chunks out the bearings feel good . pb blaster works wonders on stuck shit thanks for all the help dave