Clutch Cover Replacement, Dip stick hole is stripped...

I recently bought a '01 banshee, and when i went to check the tranny fluid the dip stick wouldnt go back in the hole because its stripped. So i used pliers to force it in the hole and its worked fine for a month now, but today i went up to silver lake to ride the dunes and the tranny fluid started to leak out. Is there a simple fix for this or do i have to buy a whole brand new clutch cover? If you think i need a new cover does any one have a link to where i can get one online? Thanks!

I recently bought a '01 banshee, and when i went to check the tranny fluid the dip stick wouldnt go back in the hole because its stripped. So i used pliers to force it in the hole and its worked fine for a month now, but today i went up to silver lake to ride the dunes and the tranny fluid started to leak out. Is there a simple fix for this or do i have to buy a whole brand new clutch cover? If you think i need a new cover does any one have a link to where i can get one online? Thanks!

If you have the plastic stock dipstick, chances are its stripped. I've done that to a few of them. If you do have the shitty plastic one, just get a billet one and you will be fine. If you have a billet one and its stripped, get a new one. I've never seen anyone jack the cover. If you did find a magical way to jack the cover, get an over-size tap and die set and just re-thread it. Probably cheaper than getting a new cover.

for a billit one your Yammie dealer might be able to order one, but check w/ Alba, ModQuad, Cascade, Rockey Mountain or about a hundred more places that sell Banshee parts. If they sell aftermarket Banshee stuff, they almost always have billit "bling" stuff too.

i just checked out the hole in the cover and from a glance it doesnt look stripped, but i try to put in a brand new stock dip stick and it wont go past a quarter of a turn?? Can that still mean a billet dip stick will work? or does it have to be the cover because a brand new one wouldnt go in. I dont know if it makes a difference or not but it isnt a stock yamaha clutch cover its just plain black it looks like a generic aftermarket cover.

Edited by silverlakeshee01

i just checked out the hole in the cover and from a glance it doesnt look stripped, but i try to put in a brand new stock dip stick and it wont go past a quarter of a turn?? Can that still mean a billet dip stick will work? or does it have to be the cover because a brand new one wouldnt go in. I dont know if it makes a difference or not but it isnt a stock yamaha clutch cover its just plain black it looks like a generic aftermarket cover.

I would try pulling it off and try to thead the stick in from the inside-out and see if it will go. You might have some gummed up threads. Maybe take a screwdriver or thread cleaning tool and try to chase the threads. Those covers can be kinda expensive so exhaust every cheap fix before going with a whole new cover. I've even seen guys drill them out and thread them for a big-ass bolt and just use a bolt for a cap. You don't really need to check the level that often unless you are leaking for some reason, then you should fix that. I change my shit every ride so I always know where its at.

- Bigred

Mine is screwed up also, but it was also messed up when I got it. My new dipstick is a bitch to get in, you have to play with it. Try breaking off the stick and going form the inside out, that is what I had to do. To twist it through, just heat up a screwdriver and push it in the bottom of the cap (where the dipstick used to be) and pull it through.