Upgrading Stock Shocks

jakehopt

I"m not sure whether I'll need to upgrade to aftermarket shocks or not.

I'm going to be doing alot of open area/bumpy open area/some trail riding...but also some mud and mx. Basically I'll be doing some of everything. I'm no hardcore mx racer, but I will be takin to the bigger jumps.

If you are going to keep the shee for a while buy good shocks. However, they are pricey and other than that the only negative is that once you run aftermarket suspsension you will never go back to stock. As far as I am concerned, they are necessary if you start increasing the HP. You will get quite a few opinions on what types of shocks to use and whatever yo choose will be an improvement over stock.

Chris

Well how much do good shocks run for? Put money aside for a second.

What's the best...what's the worst...and what would you recommend?

Top of the food chain - Axis, Ohlins, TCS

Inbetween - Elka

Bottom of the Barrel - Works

I don't know if i'm missing any other companys but I would go for something thats up top...most likely TCS...check out www.atvsuspensiontech.com they have a sale going on for TCS shocks right now...

I agree with Decon. Suspension is one of those Items you get what you pay for. For a complete set front and rear the top of the line shocks will cost you about $1700 to $2000. Ideally make a bunch of phone calls to get the best price. If you can negotiate you can save a few hundred bucks easily.

Chris

Pretty much ANYTHING will be better than the stockers. Best bang for the buck, get some YFZ shocks. Even better bang for the buck, get some YFZ shocks and send them off to a company like TCS for revalving and you'll have killer shocks for not a lot of dough, less than half the cost of a set of good, comparable aftmkt shocks. I'd still suggest TCS for new shocks if your wanting new shocks, and they'll still be cheaper than Elkas, PEPs or Axis.

Edited by sredish

Well I found some YFZ 450 shocks really cheap near me...

I saw the tut on how to put em in, is it hard? Or realetively (sp?) simple?

I'd rather not fork out a grand for awesome shocks since I don't really have the money for it...but if the YFZ shocks aren't worth the hassle putting them in than I will shell out the cash.

Well I found some YFZ 450 shocks really cheap near me...

I saw the tut on how to put em in, is it hard? Or realetively (sp?) simple?

I'd rather not fork out a grand for awesome shocks since I don't really have the money for it...but if the YFZ shocks aren't worth the hassle putting them in than I will shell out the cash.

I would rather use a shock setup for me than setup for another quad. I've heard the yfz shocks will make your bike sit higher and I believe make the front end a little stiffer, I personally haven't dealt with them before I will let other people say something about them.

I've heard the yfz shocks will make your bike sit higher and I believe make the front end a little stiffer,

ya, about an inch, big deal. it helps cure the lack of rake in the frontend, or thats how i see it.

stiffness - infinately adjustable preload, and clickers for both directions of travel, need i say more?

Edited by gimmeabeer

NO NO NO do not buy yfz front shocks. Yes they are an upgrade over stock so is a brand new stock shock over one that has 10 hours on it. Just buy some used works off ebay and send them to shane with your rear shock. Save your self a bunch of money.

Edited by squish