400ex question

ok i know its not a banshee but this is the only truely helpful site..i was driving and then stopped and tured my bike off..when i went to turn it back on lights wouldnt coe on and it wouldnt start..so i jumpstarted it and came home..when i jumpstarted it my lights all came on..so is my battery dead? and if so then how can i charge it? i dont know how to take my battery off the bike and stuff

If it's an older bike, like my friend's 99, you might just want to buy a new battery. But yes, you can charge it I believe, take the seat off and all that, and you ought to be able to figure out how to get the battery out.. I'm not able to give step-by-steps without looking at it, but I'm sure it's do-able. Good Luck! Those things aren't any banshee, but they're fun to ride!

If it wouldn't start after just sitting there, There maybe more going on there then just a discharged battery. Did you leave the lights on or something? You may want to check if the water level is okay on your battery. If it's a factory battery you won't be able check the water, their sealed. Is the bike charging the battery, did it start up after you rode it and shut if off again? Maybe you have a short somewhere. This is stuff you may want to check.

To answer your question, if you want to take out the battery. First take off your seat, then you can see a rubber cover over your battery, bend the wires holding that so you can pull the cover back then you will have a bracket holding the battery, remove this bracket, its a 10mm nut, and the battery will pull out to the side. Or you can just pull the rubber cover back and pull the cap covering the positive side of the battery up. just enough to get a charger on it and leave it in the bike altogether. Slow charge it overnight is best.

And for future dead batteries, you can do what I do. Just put the bike in 2nd then push it as fast as you can with the clutch in, friends will come in handy here, then pop the clutch it should start right up. Good luck.