Having problems with the '99

Yama

Anyhow, my first problem in years where I'm a little confused even. Long story short, at the end of a day riding a week ago I hit a small puddle and it splashed up my throttle felt weird. It was super sensative and almost stuck, it's hard to explain even. It was running on one cylinder and I just threw it on the truck and went home. Figured it was the carbs, so I took them off and they were filthy. The good ol' classic airbox at it's best. Anyhow I cleaned them and put them back on, she fired right up and the throttle felt back to normal, no more odd touchiness. So I go riding today and it felt fine for a few minutes, again it was wet out but I avoided too much contact. It did it from what I thought was nothing, so I just rode it out and it eventually stopped. After that it started bogging to the extreme, no power at all but running on both and not dying, proboably topped at 1mph if that - crawling, but running. CHanged the plugs, no go. Then I kept riding in circles at the maximum crawl rate, it started to fire and let out all the smoke and then suddenly felt fine after running it for a few minutes - screaming actually. Figured it just needed to be cleared out yet, but then it happened again. Cutting off while riding, the extreme slow bog again, the touchy thrttle a little towards the end - it was just disheartening really, it was one of those days I just wanted to ride. Anyhow, I brought it back home now and before I even rip anything apart I wanted to see if any of you have had any similar problems? Should I look into new carbs, could it be the reeds? The compression seems fine, I doubt the pistons are screwed, fires up and runs on both. If you definately think it's the carbs, any suggestions? Maybe the 2-1 carb kit? Heard it gives some nice low end without taking away the rest and makes jetting and tuning insanely easy. Any help would be appreciated on how to fix and what to check and if it's a must replace situation, suggestions on parts would be fine. Thanks much all.

IMO Banshees are made with 2 carbs for a reason. Dont switch to a 2 in 1. Is your parking brake and TORS unplugged? My 99 did the same as you described 2 summers ago and it wound up being the parking brake was screwed up. I unplugged it and that was the fix.

IMO Banshees are made with 2 carbs for a reason. Dont switch to a 2 in 1. Is your parking brake and TORS unplugged? My 99 did the same as you described 2 summers ago and it wound up being the parking brake was screwed up. I unplugged it and that was the fix.

I have the parking brake block off kit but the TORS is still on there.

Edited by Yama

First thing take your carbs and intakes/reeds off.....see if it's real gummy where your reeds could possibly be sticking, not allowing the proper air/fuel through....second, before disassembling your carbs make sure that it's just not the choke tube that popped off causing this abnormal behavior.....third, make sure your pilot jet isn't plugged to the max, like you said previously that the carbs were filthy, well the pilot hole opening is about the size of a pinhead and can easily be clogged up......also you may check compression and make sure you haven't lost a topend.....lastly make DAMN sure you haven't over oiled your air filter NOT allowing the proper air to intake......and also make sure you didn't switch slides after your last cleaning on your carbs...make sure you can see the windows and make sure the slide is moving correctly up and down and not stuck/etc.....hope these couple small tidbits help out.....There's also a good possibility it's electrical and that's a whole nother story within itself.... :baseball_bat:

The carbs are real picky about dirt, specifically the slides- they fit reall snugly in the bores. It's very common for someone to ride thru a puddle and have one side or the other stick wide open. That's for starters. Sounds like you sucked up some water and grit and it got ito the carbs, and if you are running the factory filter shame on you!- On Yamaha, actually, since they make a $hitty filter. In any case, you should be running the full airbox with an afermarket filter adapter and filter installed. Pro Flow makes a good one. This will seal out any and all dirt, and of course the lid will need to be on, which will really kill the power but there is no help for that; maybe you could fab up a wide snokel of some kind that will still flow some air volume. But it also sounds as if there is debris in one or both carbs and possibly in the tank as well, so a good teardown and cleaning of carbs, tank and fuel oulet strainer sounds like a necessary step. Not really a big deal, just an easy 2 or 3 beer project. In a nutshell, the shee is not much of a mud bike, it needs lots of air to make power, and this is not easily accomplished.

Edit: after seeing these other replies, I realised that you may still have TORS. KILL IT! You will be glad you did.

Edited by ssanddemon

Thanks for all the help, will tear her apart tommorow and see what's going on. One last thing, for removing the TORS? Is the elimi kit a must or preffered? Want to do it the right way the first time.

Kit it. Not as big a deal since you are gonna take the carbs apart for cleaning anyway. The only thing that is a pain is the drilling and tapping of the carbs for the idle stop screws. Just use lots of oil and go slow with the tap. I just killed the TORS last week on my spare shee, it wasn't a big deal.

Edit: I guess there is some way to disconnect TORS without replacing the carb tops and installing idle stop screws, but it beats me how it would be done. Besides, the eliminator kits are cheap and a proper modification.

Edited by ssanddemon

Just follow the black wire from the thumb throttle. Under the tank is a black connector (if memory serves me right). Just unplug that and you're good to go. I stood mine on my grab bar when I did mine. Makes things much easier.

Just follow the black wire from the thumb throttle. Under the tank is a black connector (if memory serves me right). Just unplug that and you're good to go. I stood mine on my grab bar when I did mine. Makes things much easier.

Thought I did it right, but apparantly not as it was stuck wide open after disconnecting. I'll check it tommorow, but after cleaning again it seems to be ripping just fine, but I still need to test it for a while to see.

maybe you possibly switched the carb slides left to right, right to left..... i did it once and ended up puting a new top end on it and it still didht have any powerl... then i realized it was the switched around carb slides.... but then again if i did something that stupid ..who am i trying to give someone advice haha!