jet a stroker

alien

:yank:

undefined

Hey guys i would like to know what you all think would be close to the right jets for my mods. I have done several searches to get a general idea but wanted to list my mods and see what yall think. I have a 96 banshee, 4 mil stroke,21cc head ,66 mil bore,dmc ALIEN pipes and silencers,boyesen reeds . I cleaned up my ports and rounded the edges. I am +3 deg and have pod filters. I am at 1000ft elev. right now i have stock carbs,420 jets, third clip on stock needle and 30 pilot. It seems to run great. it dyno,d at 57 horse. does this sound ok? A friend reccomended the stage three dynojet kit but it comes with a 340 jet?

You've got a serious problem with that motor if it runs right in top end with 420 mains.

Either you ride in -80 degree temps, or you have an air leak the size of texas....

With no airbox and K&N or foam clamp on filters, I can't see you being above 340 or 350 on the mains...

what all was changed with the port layout? if it was changed much then the 420s could be good.. with a large air leak youd need much larger jets than 420's imo..

with my 4mm stock cylinder i had a crank seal go out and had .128 (drill bit size) mains and dump tubes, with .96 (biggest you can go) power jets and was still leaning out..

once it was taken care of it ended up going to a .113 main/.116 dump and .76 power jet.. with pretty much the same jetting for the cubs..

when my motor was a 350 it was running on 470's with stock carbs, open filters, bill's pipes, timing at +8 (pump gas) ... 150 psi of compression..

:yank:

undefined

Hey guys i would like to know what you all think would be close to the right jets for my mods. I have done several searches to get a general idea but wanted to list my mods and see what yall think. I have a 96 banshee, 4 mil stroke,21cc head ,66 mil bore,dmc ALIEN pipes and silencers,boyesen reeds . I cleaned up my ports and rounded the edges. I am +3 deg and have pod filters. I am at 1000ft elev. right now i have stock carbs,420 jets, third clip on stock needle and 30 pilot. It seems to run great. it dyno,d at 57 horse. does this sound ok? A friend reccomended the stage three dynojet kit but it comes with a 340 jet?

That 420 sounds pretty damn high to me how do your plus look?

what i did was clean the exhaust till all the blemishes were gone. i cut the divider in the intake down to about one sixteenth on the edge close to the carb and the edge close to the cylinder is still stock width. i cut on the transfers from underneath the jugs and rounded the edges. i did not do much because what i read on bhq i could make my engine worse. i hear so many different versions of what my jets should be so i figured i would post here and ask . i did a wot and my plugs were about the color of dry pine straw. right now my banshee runs good, no bog. i dont have any other banshee experience to compare to. on the dyno it peaks at 8800 but did turn 10700.? me and my brother plan to experiment with jets and see what it will do. i have a dynojet kit now but have not put it in yet. i rebuilt the engine with new crank, pistons, seals, gaskets, clutch,head ect..... it should not leak but anything is possible. i may have ran three or four tanks of gas thru it. :baseball_innocent:

well by now if there was an air leak then you would have melted at least a couple sets of plugs.. though it could be a possibility though...

for almost a stock motor like your describing it sounds kinda on the high side, but then again your elevation seems to justify it..

on gas you want your plugs to look like chocolate milk..

You've got a serious problem with that motor if it runs right in top end with 420 mains.

Either you ride in -80 degree temps, or you have an air leak the size of texas....

With no airbox and K&N or foam clamp on filters, I can't see you being above 340 or 350 on the mains...

actually you're wrong on this bro.....I have jetted several motors that have had aggressive/old drag port w/ stock carbs on a 350 at 2200 ft. elevation has ran from a 390 to a 420 main and 30 pilot w/ stock needle or aftermarket needle.....I'm not bashing your post I just wanted to state a fact so this guy doesn't get it branded in his head that he's got an air leak.....I would say on a 4mm with mild porting and stock carbs w/ timing advanced to around 5 and at his elevation he should be around the 400 area.....my 2 pennies... :shrug:

Hey...no prob.

The highest I have seen drag ports run is 360 to 380...and that was at lower elevation (richer jetting needed..)...which, ojcool, the car tuning expert pointed out in another post...

:yankyank:

Somtimes, with porting you actually go down in jet sizes since it pulls air and fuel much more efficiently...

Hey...if it runs good, it runs good. However, since I have been "accused" of telling people to tune on the edge... This jetting sounded way rich... Better safe than sorry!!

No offense taken, 9603...

:beer:

I run a 4mm drag port and i switch from 400s to 410s and im at 2100ft, but Im also running toomey needles.....Strokers will run leaner jets because that extra velocity will pull more gas out of the same size jet. Shouldn't be hard to run a plug burn on the top of 4th or 5th and see whats going on. Start rich and look for that coffee brown!

Good luck

i have the dynojet kit and will put it in when i have time. it has 340 main and the new needle. i think it will be lean but we will see . ill report when i do. thanks.

Actually....9603 steered you right in this case.

Alien...we all suggest jetting on our own experiences...nothing more. There is not golden jet for any given bike, only a range from our own suggestions.

I would use their needle, most definately.

However...you say your bike runs great and there is no air leak...

If I were you, find a nice wide open road you can top out 4th and 5th...and do a plug chop.

If the plug chop turns out fine with the jets you have...don't change it.

Personally...I have never jetted above a 380...but, each bike is different...:)

guys i really appreciate the help. i have read maaaaannnnnyyyyyy of the other forums on here. my wife says what are you looking at bhq? i had considered the info yall have gave others. i am 41 have a cool banshee that i enjoy but still have some learning to do. i almost didnt even post but i am glad i did. when i fine tune my jetting better i will report back with my findings.