clutch issues

alright before i took the clutch cover off there was tension on the clutch lever but when it was in gear u could not roll it with out it turning over. so i started her up and all of a sudden there was no tension at all .so then i took the clutch cover off and the center nut in the middle of the clutch was loose and u could move it back and forth. so i tighted it up then i put it all back together and started it . it was running for about 20 secs and then was no tension again . so i took it apart again and the nut was loose again . what is going on. I need help.

After you get the adjustment screw where you want it "in for more tension out for less" you can eather like he said use lock tight or put another nut on to keep it tight and in place. good luck

it was just not the  nut that was loose the whole bolt that goes into the clutch was loose. U could pull it out about 1/4 inch and thats as far as it would go. it wont stay tight.

518709[/snapback]

A 1/4 inch :whoa: ....Check out your prussure plate it could be worn.I never heard of using loctite on this nut!!.I set that swcrew by turning the screw all the way in and than back it out 1/3 to 1/2 turn max.99% of the time the pointers are lined up if not damn close.I than would add a bit if free play at the lever.

alright this time i got it really tight and the clutch was workin until i was rolling it back and forth with the clutch in and was in gear to make sure it was still workin it did the same thing. i lost almost all tension on the clutch lever there is alittle still but not enough to engage the clutch.

Edited by LeadBoots

Sounds like the inner threads are stripped, you better pull it all off and have a look see! Poss need new basket.Mine as well replace it all to be sure.That freplay might have scewed it all up.

To get the nut off you need a 1-1/4" half inch drive socket and an air gun, that usually does the trick. You'll twist your nuts off trying to get it off by hand with no clutch. I had the same problem with my clutch adjustment pin, I just put loctite on the pin after I got it adjusted and tightened the nut up. Holdin strong, even at a 9000 rpm dump on blacktop. heh.