Oil smoke, Brand new Top End, other causes?

I have a 99 Banshee that I just replaced the pistons, rings and did a bore and hone. The reason for me doing that was it has always smoked a little bit. It is oil smoke for sure. So after doing the top end...Wiseco Pistons, shaved head, and all new gaskets it still smokes a little. I was reading that the crank seal might be bad. Has anyone encountered this.

It is people like you that make me not want to post. Instead of being a jerk why dont you ask questions that are relevant to MY question? Instead of stating the obvious and then trying to be funny just keep your unneducated responses to yourself. If you read in the factory manual it gives symtoms of a bike smoking excessively and then says that the causes can be related to 1-Oil Mixture, 2- Rings, 3- Crank Seal.

My question was if anyone has had this same problem with the CRANK SEAL, and if it fixed the problem. If anyone would like to enlighten me on their expierences with this that would be great. Thanks

my buddies crank seal went out about 2 weeks ago. he said it was spitting oil out of the right exhaust pipe. if your spitting oil out and its the crank seal , he said he found somebody on here that did a 60 page crank seal repair-full picts and step by step. he printed all 60 pages. he split the case and ordered the seal, it was like $10 i think.

he said it will only spit oil out the right side because oil will get in the crank, the left side will go into the stator.if i lost you ,sorry. i kind of lost myself.

hopefully its just your mixture. how are you mixing your gas???

if it is smoking more out the right side it's probably the crank seal. if it was the left seal you wouldn't see hardly any smoke at all from the left because you would be lean on that side. or you could put it on the patch to help it kick the habbit. don't be so up tight man, you had to know that some one was going give you a hard time, it is infact a 2 stroke and well... they smoke. :P

Edited by fast500#12

I dont mean to be uptight it just sucks having spent all that money to fix a problem and then it is still there after it is done. I know that the bike will smoke a little, but I also know that mine is smoking way too much. I am using Castor 927 mixing 32:1. Me and my buddies run all the same gas and they dont have the same problem. Thanks for the help.

you need to pull the intake and exhaust manifolds off and block those ports off with some homemade block off plates. then , doing 1 cylinder at a time, pull a vacuum of 5-10 inches of mercury on the sparkplug hole making sure the piston is all the way down. measure the vacuum with a gauge (can be any ammount) and come back in an hour and measure it again. if there is much of a vacuum drop then you need a rebuild. next put 5-10psi into the plug hole and measure it again in an hour to see if its still got 5-10 psi. if the pressure drop is much, you need a rebuild.

this measures the crank seals for leakage on both the suction and compression portion of the sealing areas. sence it can leak during suction, compression, or both.

do this for each side. its how to tell if youre crank seals (or base gaskets for that matter) are leaking.

not to be rude, but this is what you should of done before tearing down the motor and rebuilding it.

Do a search on Leak Down testers. If you don't want to go through the hassle of making your own, RB Racing makes a nice tester for about 50 bucks or so. This is a priceless tool to have.

To be honest, if you're going to replace the crank seal, do them all.

Vitos sells a compelete kit for about 30 bucks, crank seals, shift shaft seal, clutch arm seal.... You're going to have it torn down that far anyways, might as well cover 'em all...

That banshee isn't getting any younger, ya know...:)

Good luck.

:cheers:

What color is the smoke? Is your coolant level dropping mysteriously?

But like as stated before all two strokes smoke, you need to describe the smoke. Are you letting the bike idle for extended periods of time? If you are loading it up then it will smoke pretty bad.

• 2 months later...

I am going to take off the pipes and repack the mufflers. I havea feeling that there is a bunch of oil built up in the mufflers from before the rebuild. I will let everyone know how it goes soon. Thanks

You might be running your bike way too rich~ Mine has always smoked, but when I got new carbs, it starting smoking hell of a lot more! I checked my plugs and they were really wet! Try leaning your bike out a little bit or putting a smaller jet size! Check your plugs and tell me how they look!