Gotta kick the fuck outta it

I finally have gotten to ride my 99 shee taht i have had a ton of probelms with. I replaced the coil, flywheel, the stator and cdi were installed a few months ago, and the carbs have the tors removed and have been gone through and are clean. The probelm is that i have to kick the shit outta of it to get it start, it has got be kicked quickly but it will eventually start. I can pop start it with out any trouble. Even if i have been riding it and it stalls it doesnt want to start like it should, it requires a ton of kicks. In my clymer manual it says to put your finger over the spark plug hole and kick it and if it pushes your finger off it should have enough compression to start which it does do that. I recently had the top end apart and it all appeared fine so i just resealed and called it a day. I want to know what numbers the compression should be if i check it with a gauge on a stock banshee. If i mill the head to raise compression will it give a temporary patch to get it start? I dont have the money to replace the top end quite yet so any help would be great.

Should be right around 120, give or take a few pounds depending on your elevation. That is the first thing I would check in a situation like you're describing. :cheers: If your top end needs to be replaced, I wouldn't compensate the lack of compression by having your head milled. You'll still have to end up replacing the top end before long. :shrugani:

if your compression is good, more than likely you need to adjust your air screw " turn it in " 1/8th turn at a time. but if you get improvements and you end up less than 1 turn out on the air screw then go up 1 size on the pilot jet. ohh and make sure the choke tube is in place, and the slides aren't in backwards.

If i mill the head to raise compression will it give a temporary patch to get it start?

503961[/snapback]

Yes, it will. The downsides far outweigh the differences though. The extra slack will cause the piston to slap around in the bore. This can ovalize your bores or cause the piston skirt to shatter. Thats what heppened to me, the skirt let go on the left side and with it went that cylinder and the head.