might ride michigan dunes this summer...

Yami_rider_4life

One more thing to think about.  Actual legal riding age is 16.  If you are fairly decent size, you probably won't even get questioned.  But if you are a smaller framed guy, you may wan't to call ahead and ask them what the requirement is for your age.  I believe you can take an ATV safety course, and ride w/a parent w/no problems, but you might want to check.

503447[/snapback]

good point. although i've seen some real youngins out there. i thought michigan determined what displacement you could ride at a given age under 16. something like nothing bigger than 150cc under 16.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lil guy that was 13 last year that rides a Banshee(very well I might add) out there very often. He got a tckt last yeat from the DNR. The reasoning I heard was he was too far away from his Father, but that info came to me second hand.

Two things that might make a difference w/his situation:

His dad has been going there for as long as most of us have been alive.(in your case, 3 times as long) And the kid is known at Silver Lake for being a good rider. I bet just about anyone on here that goes on a semi-regular basis knows who I am talking about.

Your best bet if you really want to know is call the DNR or Park info for that area and find out the scoop.

hmm ill do that

also,from what ive heard(not to brag) im pretty good as well,so i might be able to prove that im responsible and skilled enough to ride a shee out there,my brother on the other hand,would probaly get kicked out if they let him slide by,cause hes just dumb

he went and rode to sum1s house thats 5 miles away at night,no headlight,just a spotlight being held on with zipties, in the rain,the rode back and was drifting around intersections and crap,he is so dumb

I would strongly encourage you to go no matter what. If for whatever reason they absolutely don't let you ride, you can get in someones vehicle w/your group or something and just get in the dunes. It is beautiful and always fun to watch the other people, drags, extravagent toys.... You may be able to just ride right in w/a group of adults unquestioned. And you may not even have to worry about sneaking in if you are prepared ahead of time w/whatever may be required for you to ride.

Haha.... Yeah I've talked to the guy before, his boy was whooping on us off the lines at the dune drags last year over the 4th holiday. Bone Stock banshee hehe. I rememberd those days when I was 100lbs and beating guys with the ol mans 87 banshee. A friend of mine has been taking his boys up there since they was 13, riding quads. Take an ATV course, just about any major ATV dealership gives them for free and it only takes a day or two. Then they will give you a card, or a piece of paper that tells that you have passed it. BUT you have to be accompinied by an adult I belive 18 and over. His boys get in without any hassel. Have fun on your trip, actually I know you will :headbang:

go to michigan state website and look under orv rules you might not like what you read

http://www.offroad-ed.com/mi/handbook/age_...ons.htm#summary

Here you go

Edited by batoutofshell

ok i checked everything out and im pretty sure im good to go,except i need to take the safety course and i could use new spark arrestors.buuuut,it said something about noise ordinances,and im not sure about my bro's 400ex(yea,i know,its a embarasm-erm i mean honda) and i was wondering if anyone had seen 400exs at the dunes and if they needed any special exaust/muffler kinda stuff,cause with banshees,all you really need is a whip,sparkys,and stickers right? and im just wonderin

most of the time they won't hassle you over dB's i've been check at 97 with some gangsta old fmf's. 93 is the limit but if you're close you're straight. sparky's are 100% required. it's silly, but it's the rule.

do you have older fmf silencers or powercores? might have a set of sparkys if they're older.

see 400ex's all the time out there. most with pipes. they don't seem to hassle the 4pokes as much as the screamers. actually, think i saw as many predaturds as banshees opening weekend.

bill

There's a lil guy that was 13 last year that rides a Banshee(very well I might add) out there very often.  He got a tckt last yeat from the DNR.  The reasoning I heard was he was too far away from his Father, but that info came to me second hand. 

Two things that might make a difference w/his situation:

His dad has been going there for as long as most of us have been alive.(in your case, 3 times as long)  And the kid is known at Silver Lake for being a good rider.  I bet just about anyone on here that goes on a semi-regular basis knows who I am talking about.

Your best bet if you really want to know is call the DNR or Park info for that area and find out the scoop.

503755[/snapback]

hahahahah, that li guy can rip man, the blonde haired chick tears shit up too!!! Cant wait to get out there memorial weekend!!!!!