Poor Compression New Shee! Help

I recently purchased a 99 banshee with pretty standard upgrades.

Pipes, reeds, filter and axle, arms and what not. No engine changes have been made to the bike. According to the previous owner he has never rebuilt it. I came from a 400ex so this thing feels fast as Christ to me.

However.....I went out and checked the compression today and it came out to about 105 left side and 90 right side on a relatively cold engine. Also it is only about 40 degees outside today.

I am also having a pretty bad problem cold starting but I do not know if that is because the last time that I rode I rode completely out of gas.

When I sprayed just a small squirt of starting fluid in her shee started right up. I also was using a craftsman compression tester but it was the cheapes one they sold.

Last question, the left rear wheel seems to jiggle at the the point where the hub meets the axle. Is that okay??? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

:huh:

Make sure that your pistons are the right size for the bore. I got the wrong pistons once and it wouldn't even start. Also check ring gap. If you need instructions, just PM me. And yeah, definately check the jetting. Banshee's are super angry when it comes to jetting. You must rejet for everything, like he said.

hey your compression sounds a little low i belive it should be around 125 psi stock , an no more than 10 psi diferance between cylinder? you can also put a little oil down the spark plug holes ,an if the compression raises your rings would be bad. So good luck an :cheers:

Well, my jetting is a 290 main. I run FMF pipes and had a 300 in a couple of weeks ago because it was a little over 30 degrees. I went down to a 290 when the temp came to about 45. Plugs seem nice and brown, almost like a coccoa powder color. I have the stock airbox on and am running a kn with the pro flow adapter. I definately need to replace the box and the boots that go on the carb because they aren't fitting very tightly anymore. Oh, my elevation is 800 feet according to google. Can I get away with just replacing my rings for the time being because I am on a waiting list with Jim at passion racing for an MX port, cool head and new top end. Also any word on the axle issue I mentioned earlier? Thanks a lot for the help.

Last but not least, what kind of oil in the spark plug holes to see if it is bad rings?

hey i belive you can use any kind of motor oil, or use 2 stroke oil. Also did you have the throttel all the way open when you did a compression check?

499106[/snapback]

I did have it wide open. I will try again in a few minutes with oil in them. You think that I can get away with just new rings?

I would toss the craftman gauge,before you even think about a new top end.I had one of those and read about 20-30 lbs under my new snap-on.

To keep a shee running like it should a few tools are needed

Snap on compression tester

leak down tester

banshee manual is a must!!

The leak down tester is cheap and easy to make.

I have the link,but have no clue how to put it here....EEERRRR.. :confused:

RNBRAD made it up,I'm sure someone will chime in....

Also a flywheel puller if you ever tear down a motor their like $10,never use a 3 jaw puller!!

$30 for a inner clutch and fly wheel tool.

Edited by scotts96fast