Clutch adjustment

Bottom line is that my clutch only disengages at the very end of letting it out. Probably 90% of the lever travel does nothing.....right near the end of letting it out it will go. Though it is not slipping yet....So can I adjust this somewhere? The lever adjustment is almost all the way screwed in....bout 2 threads out. The only other thing I know to do is inside the side cover, but I am not understanding that process with what I have read so far.

Thanks for some info..

Yea I am thinking it is stock... The whole motor had never been opened up until this build I just finished. Since I wanted to be able to break it in without worrying about clutch adjustments, I waited until later to do clutch. So far break in is going well....so after that maybe a new clutch kit.

i'd try adjusting it inside before doing anything else, that's where you need to start.

once you pull the cover off, or before, whichever, unhook your cable at the perch, since the adjustment there is way off. with the cover off, you'll see a nut on a stud w/ a phillips head in the center of the pressure plate on your clutch assembly. loosen this nut, holding the stud still if possible. with it loosened up, push on the push lever assembly (where your cable hooks at the motor) until it stops. you'll feel the freeplay and then tension where you almost can't push it anymore. hold it there, and use a phillips screwdriver to turn the stud, you should feel the lever moving as you turn it. there is an arrow on top of the motor near the push lever assembly. when the arrow on the push lever assembly lines up with this arrow, while holding it at the tension point, your clutch is adjusted properly. when you let go of the push lever, it should return beyond the arrow on the motor, towards the gearshift side. tighten up the nut to keep this adjustment correct. now hook up your cable again. you should be able to adjust it at the perch to where your lever has about 1/2" of freeplay, measuring from the tip of the lever to the handlebar. if you can achieve this without maxing out your perch adjuster, you are on the right track. if not, your cable may be stretched and need to be replaced. put it all back together and try it out. you may need to adjust the perch to your own liking afterwards. if after this adjustment the clutch is slipping, dragging or whatever, then you may need to replace the clutch kit or components.

IF you feel like it while your in there the first time, pull the pressure plate off and inspect the basket, and all the plates for wear. if the basket fingers (where the fiber plates ride) has a lot of deep grooves in it, it should be replaced. or if any of the steel plates appear burnt (darkened) or warped when put on a flat surface, they need replaced. if the fiber plates are cracked, broken or smoothed out, they should be replaced. inside the shaft where the adjustment rod came out of, should be a rod about 6" long, and a ball bearing. use a magnet to pull them out, or maybe tip the bike on the side and hope they fall out. they should not show any signs of overheating (bluing) and should definitely not be stuck together. be carefull when putting this all back together because the steel plates need to start at a certain location, and the steels need the bump in them to alternate around the pressure plate at certain locations, or your clutch will not work properly.

hope that clears things up a little. B)

if i missed anything, i'm sure somebody will add to it. good luck.

i'd try adjusting it inside before doing anything else, that's where you need to start.

once you pull the cover off, or before, whichever, unhook your cable at the perch, since the adjustment there is way off.

Edited by quad4me

haha, another clutch virgin!! :D hey, i was 30 years old and with my shee for 4 years before my first time. :P

yeah, the first time can be a little confusing, but after you do it the first time, it will all make sense and you'll see how easy it really is. follow your clymer's and check back here for any problems you run into. these guys here kick ass when it comes to the shee. guaranteed you will not run into a problem that someone else here hasn't already solved. long live the HQ!! :headbang: