blasters

scooter

Blastys are lotsa fun and great for beginners; learning the clutch, shifting, etc. is cake with the little 200. I got an '03 for my son when he was 13, the next year he was on a Banshee with zero probs (he had an ALT50 and then a TRX70 before that). My stepdaughter is 13 and does great on it even with very little prior riding experience...you can lug it around all day long and it doesn't complain hehe. And of course it's always fun to have a pit bike to stunt around on myself :biggrin:

I think they came with factory hydraulic front disc brakes from either 2002 or 2003 and up, if possible grab one of those (the brakes are insanely good), around here probably in the neighborhood of $2k or so, if it's a good deal get an older one and upgrade the brakes it'll be worth it, either way I'd go with the oil injection blockoff just to make sure you never have any probs there (plus if you've got a Banshee just use the same fuel/oil mix on both). Very simple, light machines and IMO very dependable and as typical of a 2-stroke easy to get power out of...maybe not mass quantities heh but still...

A pic I took of CJ on her Blasty :cool:

Blasty.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blasters are great.... lots of power for a tiny bike...

im 180 pounds and still like to ride my blaster(while my banshee is being modded :) ) but... your kids will have plenty of fun on the blaster for a long time... then you can worry about buying them a shee...

if you by ny i got my old on for sale... lol

this was b4 my bike had to sit outside in the rain for a few months..she was beauifullll

bikepics-77599-800.jpg

bikepics-84220-800.jpg

bikepics-84218-800.jpg

bikepics-98943-800.jpg

My 2 older boys have them,they are 11 and the other just turned 10.Both have toomey pipes and oil blockoffs.those kids tear it up and down every hill at the dunes or wherever.Such a relief to let them ride along with the shee without unsticking them everywhere.I figure they'll be good with those bikes for a couple years or so.

Ok, its settled, Im gonna go and look at it then, if you guys think its worth it...

Heres the low down on what the guy told me:

its a 98 that he bought at a really reputable dealer, he bought it for his wife, and in 3 months the top end went on it, so the dealer rebuilt that for them, and there has been low hours on it since... He was asking $2200.00 CAD for it, but reduced the price to 1800.00 to reflect a couple issues...

He told me the rear brake is seized, and it needs rear wheel bearings...

think its worth the bother?

ive messed with a few blasters in my day. my friend rick has one, the neighbors have 2.

im going to get some shit from you guys for saying this.

they seem like decent enough but they really lack on the features of a more modern quad. the ones i messed with didnt even have disc brakes. they had cable pulled drums. the bottom end of the engines awalys sounded loud, like a knocking noise. maybe thats normal but i didnt like it.

i think the blaster does not come with a multilink rear end either.

i just get the impression that the blaster is unrefined. and not in a stripped down racing way. more like a old beater chevy type of unrefined.

i know they have disc barke coversions, and oil injection blockoff kits, and suspension kits, and a whole host of other parts to modernise the blaster and make it a worthy machine, but why bother when you can grab a 4 stroke raptor 350 thats got everything you need right out of the box.

personally i think a raptor 350 would be a better choice. its more money but overall nicer.

if youre a die hard yamaha 2 stroker but not ready for a banshee. then a blaster is the only way to go. but take a look at the raptor 350.

Not to step on any toes or anything but i would disagree that a Raptor 350 is a better bike than a blaster. Yeah its more refined for rider comfort and has more modern engineering thatn the blaster but have u ever ridden a Raptor 350? If you ask me they are a joke! No power in my opinion and not as much fun to ride. Why spend twice as much for a new four wheeler tht wont be as much fun as a used one that has tons of parts availabel for it. An added bonus is that if you want to teach your child how to work on the bike, a 2-stroke is the best way to go IMO. you can have the entire top-end off and back together in less than probably 2 hours! Try that wiht a raptor 350. yeah a blaster is louder but when your out playing on your quad are you really worried that someon 10 miles down the road might here some ring-a-ting-ting?! Go with the blaster, you will not regret it. Once your kid gets bigger you can get the motor ported or do a big bore kit. or maybe your kid would like to start drag racing. Blaster would be a great bike to modify for such. and cheaper than a 4-stroke. Ok i am off my soap-box now. sorry fellas lol :thanks:

Not to step on any toes or anything but i would disagree that a Raptor 350 is a better bike than a blaster. Yeah its more refined for rider comfort and has more modern engineering thatn the blaster but have u ever ridden a Raptor 350? If you ask me they are a joke! No power in my opinion and not as much fun to ride. Why spend twice as much for a new four wheeler tht wont be as much fun as a used one that has tons of parts availabel for it. An added bonus is that if you want to teach your child how to work on the bike, a 2-stroke is the best way to go IMO. you can have the entire top-end off and back together in less than probably 2 hours! Try that wiht a raptor 350. yeah a blaster is louder but when your out playing on your quad are you really worried that someon 10 miles down the road might here some ring-a-ting-ting?! Go with the blaster, you will not regret it. Once your kid gets bigger you can get the motor ported or do a big bore kit. or maybe your kid would like to start drag racing. Blaster would be a great bike to modify for such. and cheaper than a 4-stroke. Ok i am off my soap-box now. sorry fellas lol :thanks:

yes i have ridden one. my father owns one so i like to think i have a bit of expierence with it. thats why i recomended it over the blaster. the raptor might not have powerband like a 2 stroke, true. but its got more power down low and midrange than a blaster with a toomey pipe. on top end you could say what? raptor what top end? haha...

the raptor 350 also has vastly superrior brakes and suspension and controls, right out of the box. on the blaster you would need to upgrade this stuff at considerable cost.

i never said one needs to buy a new raptor. get a used one, doesnt matter. thats a matter of personal preference.

youre point about rebuilding the blaster top end in 2 hours is a good one. yes the blaster is easier to work on and you can slap a new top ed on in 2 hours. but the flip side if you hardly ever need to rebuild the raptor. its got the warrior motor which is bullet proof.

I think Blasters are good for kids and small adults. I'm 5'2" 105lbs and it's the perfect sized quad for me. Mine's been very reliable too. As said before they have a big aftermarket, and are pretty quick little bikes stock. With a little money into them they can keep up with some of the bigger bikes. I have an '02 that used to have those drum brakes on the front but I swapped some hydraulic discs on there. Definitely recommended if you get a pre '03 Blaster. Those drums were crap. Upgrade the suspension if you can afford to also. It makes a TON of difference.

Here's my little Blaster.

100_3915.jpg

I knew that you would be on this one broncogirl! LOL

You guys need to see some of the jumping pictures that this woman has! AWESOME!

my first quad was a 03 blaster it was in sand sports magazine.

it was stolen in oct of 05

the 03's were the first year for disk brakes all around.

1000% better the the old cable operated brakes of the old blasters.

these bikes are bar none the best beginner quad that was ever on the market.

in stock form they are very tame but can be made to smoke 250 r's all day.

i miss my blaster alot!!!!

Dan

DSCN3940.jpg

we have owned a couple of blasters and love them. even though we all have banshees now we still kept one blaster just because the are so much fun! as far as the rear brakes being locked up that doesnt mean it has alot of hours in the snow or mud. ours did that and we live in phoenix... not a lot of snow or mud here. i would however recommend the disc brakes also but if you dont want to spend the money right now they aare fairly simple to fix. just get a climber manual.

Thanks you guys, for all the insight...I havent gone to look at it just yet, been stupidly busy, but I may go for it, as its the guys wifes quad, and shes wanting a horse now HEHE I have a few of those too, so I may just trade an eating machine for her none eating machine :)

I'll update soon, and let you know if I get it or not...I think it would be perfect for my daughter....

Thanks again :biggrin: