Anyone here a Civil Engineer?

Jesus Christ... someone's soft hearted. :cry:  You give me a hard time and I can't give one back.  I though every Bob the Builder was tough.  By the way... silos are built by DoD and DoE appointed contractors and roads are maintain by the DOT, unless the snow needs to be plowed to get to a site.  Hell, one out of 3 aint bad.

Where in the hell did you get the idea that I said I was "special" for working with nukes?  Did a hammer fall off a shelf and hit you in the head while you read my last post?  There's only 5% or so of the AF that actually gets to work on them... and that includes the "Nuclear Weapons Maintenance Techs" (myself), Explosive Ordenance Disposal units for emergencies, and the DoE personnel who are appointed to transport the warheads.  It's not a glamorous job and by no means does it make me "special", but it is an exclusive job that not just anyone can do.

Nice insult about nuke techs being ammo troops... but we only work in conjunction with them... never as a part of there AFSC.  They can play with the little fireworks... I'll stick to the bombs with the bigger boom. :headbang:

P.S... my info is accurate according to what has been given to me... which is twice as good as any info any recruitor would ever give. <_<

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the matter at hand... bansheefox... there are down sides to any job or training, and I hope you are able to persue your degree in the manner that you want to.  Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take other roads to get to where you want to go.  Good luck though.

422846[/snapback]

To me now is obvious you are some airman stationed at his first base and using only what he knows from there to make statements beliveing they are true. Things change from base to base. Hit up one of your buddies at minot see what he has to say about what you just wrote. Either way no worries. I could really care less. Like I said before this guy has no bussiness Joing the Millitary for his degree in CE anyway, Hell if he makes 55 a year now f**k it

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Civil Engineer = Low Pay and HIGH Liability.

You Graduate, then you need to understudy as an EIT for 3 or four years, or until the Engineer you work for agrees to release you from your low paying servtatude.

Then you have to pass the State Bar test to get your stamp.

After all that, you can start working for around $65k a year.

Go into Electrical Engineering, graduate with a decent GPA and you can expect to start around $100K.

Civils get sued first.

Hmm thought civil engineers make good money and can work from home on there computer just doing CAD blue prints and stuff, 55K a year for me is not good enough with the life style I want to live and I havnt gone to college and I would like to. But i cant find a decent career that pays good enough and has the least amount of school time, or atleast sounds fun to do.

My sentiments exactly.

423417[/snapback]

Agreed no way in hell you are going to learn things you need to know that way. A lot of engineering goes way beyond the class, personally for you to want an online CE degree I would assume you really dont know much about engineering you just think the salary sounds nice.

U got it..... Maybe it wasnt civil engineering i was told a guy told me he works from home and just does blue prints from his computer using CAD and other programs and can make $2,000 in a day.

Agreed no way in hell you are going to learn things you need to know that way.  A lot of engineering goes way beyond the class, personally for you to want an online CE degree I would assume you really dont know much about engineering you just think the salary sounds nice.

423434[/snapback]

U got it..... Maybe it wasnt civil engineering i was told a guy told me he works from home and just does blue prints from his computer using CAD and other programs and can make $2,000 in a day.

423438[/snapback]

I knew a guy in college that was doing advanced 3d systems layouts while working towards his degree, he was making a healthy chunk of change and had an airplane before he graduated. Not sure if he did graduate either.

You'd be better off pairing a civil engineering degree with a minor in something like Chemical engineering, then work as a consultant getting into wastewater treatment plants. There's some good money in it but you won't be working at home you'll be 100,000+ mile a year flyer and driver. And you will work all the time. But you will get rewarded pay wise.

im with ducman. there no way you can do some of the things CE's do online. an older friend of mine has to spend time in a machine shop doing projects, and that is experience no PC can make up. not to mention the girls wet their pants, in a good, no great, way when i say im an ME. :shrugani:

Edited by gimmeabeer