Loose Front Sprocket

vdubn

I just swapped out my swing arm and was messing with the chain, and noticed that my front sprocket is loose when the chain is removed. The nut that holds it on is tight, but the sprocket is loose.

Is this normal, and if not, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks,

Dean

I just swapped out my swing arm and was messing with the chain, and noticed that my front sprocket is loose when the chain is removed.  The nut that holds it on is tight, but the sprocket is loose.

Is this normal, and if not, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks,

Dean

421280[/snapback]

Loose as in side to side motion or rolling back and forth along the chain kind of loose? Loose as in alot of play, or just a little play?

I'd be inclined to say if it has lots of slop in it, you either need a new front sprocket, or the splines on your countershaft are shot. :shrugani:

If it has a little bit of play its probably no problem.

It's mostly side to side or in and out (towards and away from the case).  It is loose enough that I thought the nut was loose.

421345[/snapback]

I don't think thats good.

If it gets too out of whack you could toss a chain.

I know on some sprockets the say you have to put them on with the manufacturers name to the outside...is this a new sprocket you put on?

No, its been on the bike for a while. Its in good shape, but by no means new.

I have another new sprocket that I can put on to see how it feels. I just wondered if it might be missing a washer behind it (between the case and the back side of the sprocket), or if all that is usually there is the shaft, the sprocket, the lock-tab washer, and the nut?

Thanks for the help....

Sorry misread you original post... I didn't see where you said that you had the locking washer in place :shootself: stupid me . It is true that you should have a slight amount of movement, that will allow for thrust. But if it seems more than you have noticed before I would check into it further. I will see if I can find and thrust tolerances...

• 1 year later...

Ok did a little search before posting... I installed a new front sprocket and seem to have the same problem as this guy... The nut tightened up and i have side to side movement. When i took the old sprocket off i didnt seem to notice a spacer behind it... Am i missing somthin?