BREAK IN PERIOD

ozosborne

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

basically just dont go nuts with it, i know its hard to take it easy especially on a new toy, but u gotta, dont start it up and go rippin down the road liek an ashole, for the first 20 hours or so u gotta be real easy with it, find an open space and just ride it around, goin through the gears, never really pushin it, like it says in the book dont go more than half throttle at first for liek 15-20 hours, just take it through the gears go easy on it, hit powerband a little bint here and there trhen make sure u follow that with a good 5 mins or so of colling it down each time, just cruising through gears and lettin the wind through the radiator so it cools the motor of nice before u put it away.... then from 20-40 hours, u can start gettin into powerband a bit, start workin it through the gears hittin powerband in each one but never giving it full throttle.. and of course make sure after eveytime u start gettin on the throttle follow that up with a cool down period of cursin and lettin the air cool the radiator before shuttin it off, never shut it off hot.. prety much just dont be an asshole, i know it was hard when i got mine brand new, but its worth it in the end if u take care of it.. after 40 hours or so, u can startt ridin it like a mother fucker pretyy much, but a good rulle of thumb NEVER rip on it like bastard then pull over and jsut shut it off with it still smokin.. alwasy cruise a bit before shuttin it off and let the motor cool down

:( IT'S DEFINITELY GOING TO BE HARD. WE HAVE A WEEK END LINED UP COMING. ON THE OTHER HAND ALL THE GUYS I'M RIDING WITH HAVE NEW BIKES. BUT I'M THE ONLY TWO STROKE. I WAS SO LOOKING FORWARD TO BEATING THE PANTS OFF THE LTZ400. OH WELL, I WILL HAVE TO WAIT A WHILE I GUESS.

20 hours! :whoa: Once you have 1 tank of break-in fule through her she's ready to rock. I'd do a couple heat cycles, start it up and let it warm up for about 10 minutes, and then shut if off and let it cool for about 1 hr. Then ride it very nicely for about 1/2 hr vary the throttle alot and dont ever hold it pinned at WOT. Let it cool all the way down (about 1+ hr). Do this step again. Then ride it again for 1/2hr to 45 min and rev it up a little more, use the whole throttle range but dont hold it pinned WOT. Now you should be abouyt through the break-in gas the dealer put in it, so fill up the tank with 36:1 Yamalube 2r and you are ready to ride, or drain the tank and fill it with some better oil at 40:1.

I wouldn't run your shee like you stold it on the second tank, but I wouldn't baby it either. I would change the spark plugs after break in and dont be suprised if it runs like it is real cold blooded and fouled up when you are doing easy break in riding. Once it is broke in and you are riding it normally with a lot of WOT the motor wont seem as cold blooded. Also, never just fire up the shee when it is cold and go out and rip on it, you always need to get her good and warm first for about 2 minutes. You can almost feel when she is good and warm and ready to go, like when forplay is over.

THANKS A LOT GUYS. I'LL BE TAKING IT EASY ON THE FIRST AND SECOND TANK. I SHOULD BE ABLE TO GIVE IT STICK BY THE THIRD. :drool:

IF THERE IS ANY OTHER ADVICE YOU CAN OFFER IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. I'D RATHER LEARN FROM OTHERS MISTAKES THAN MY OWN. :(

I AM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE!!!! :headbang: IT ROCKS!!!

Im gonna be done rebuildin in about 1 week. The shee is gonna get 2 tanks, fresh oil, new spark plugs, and then shes gonna get beat to shit! Im gonna go real easy first tank, then work my way up on the second tank. Probably gonna let her idle for the first 5-10 min, then cool, the put put around for 10, then cool... repeat. 20 hours is rediculas :blink:

CLEAN THE AIRFILTER AND CHANGE THE OIL FREQUENTLY during breakin. There is gonna be some metal crap in the crank case from the motor being built. All that must be cleaned out.

Good luck :cheers:

correct me if im wrong, but isnt it not good to let sit and idle? since there is no way for it to rid itself of the excess heat the motor is creating?

and the only reason i went 20 hours is cause all the mechanics at yamaha stressed to me to not be an asshole and rip on it too soon and to do 20 hours before beatin in, so i listneed, thats all, better safe then sorry

Im gonna be done rebuildin in about 1 week.  The shee is gonna get 2 tanks, fresh oil, new spark plugs, and then shes gonna get beat to shit!  Im gonna go real easy first tank, then work my way up on the second tank.  Probably gonna let her idle for the first 5-10 min, then cool, the put put around for 10, then cool... repeat.  20 hours is rediculas :blink:

CLEAN THE AIRFILTER AND CHANGE THE OIL FREQUENTLY during breakin.  There is gonna be some metal crap in the crank case from the motor being built.  All that must be cleaned out.

Good luck :cheers:

421128[/snapback]

Thanks a million! :)

I'll be asking about changing oil and so on next week :rotflmao:

after 40 hours yer spose to put pistons and wrings in it.....i say after a tank of 24:1 mix it 40 or 50:1 and light that son of a bitch up........

422474[/snapback]

I'm going to start running 40:1 this week end. Was it the fact that I was running 24:1 with Castrol TTS that it took forever to start in the mornings? banghead:confused:banghead