68 mm cub jetting 35 mm carbs

J-Madd

Runs great with 165 mains, 48 pilot (big I'm told); richer needle than what came with the carbs (the one Jeff @ F.A.S.T recommends); needle in the middle.

I put 170 mains in; runs like crap until about 4th then takes off. 6th gear WOT plug check shows very light tan plugs. Should I raise my needle clip, or go down to 45 pilots?

45s or the only size I don't have on hand, so I figured I'd ask before messing with the needle. I also have V-Force 3s, T5s, and homemade pods of sort out of PVC pipe.

Thanks everyone.

BTW..68 mm (big bore) cubs with drag port. Stock stroke (don't shoot me!!)

Runs great with 165 mains, 48 pilot (big I'm told); richer needle than what came with the carbs (the one Jeff @ F.A.S.T recommends); needle in the middle.

I put 170 mains in; runs like crap until about 4th then takes off. 6th gear WOT plug check shows very light tan plugs. Should I raise my needle clip, or go down to 45 pilots?

45s or the only size I don't have on hand, so I figured I'd ask before messing with the needle. I also have V-Force 3s, T5s, and homemade pods of sort out of PVC pipe.

Thanks everyone.

BTW..68 mm (big bore) cubs with drag port. Stock stroke (don't shoot me!!)

418852[/snapback]

I think your rich on the main and it's starting to level out on top (generaly what happens) I would drop back down to a 165 and/or raise the clip dropping the needle, leaning it . As for your pilot, you need to do a plug test independently on that circuit. Put new plugs in, start it up and let it idle up to operating temp and then do a plug check. I was really lean with a 55 pilot and had to go up to a 58. Currently run 160 mains, 58 pilot, CEL needle 4th clip. This is for 80 to 90 degree temps at 600ft elevation. Just go by what your machine tell you, nothing else. There is a lot of variables even between the same motors.

I think your rich on the main and it's starting to level out on top (generaly what happens) I would drop back down to a 165 and/or raise the clip dropping the needle, leaning it . As for your pilot, you need to do a plug test independently on that circuit. Put new plugs in, start it up and let it idle up to operating temp and then do a plug check. I was really lean with a 55 pilot and had to go up to a 58. Currently run 160 mains, 58 pilot, CEL needle 4th clip. This is for 80 to 90 degree temps at 600ft elevation. Just go by what your machine tell you, nothing else. There is a lot of variables even between the same motors.

418987[/snapback]

If my plugs are light tan at 6th gear WOT now, won't dropping the main make them white? I know I should probably check with plugs with the 165 also, but its raining Rita here today.

As for checking the pilot............my motor won't idle by itself at all. I could try that holding the throttle open a little. I have my cable adjusted all the way out and would have to tighten it at the carb tops to get it to idle. I can't get to both idle screws on the carbs at the same time, so I can't idle it there. I'm sure the pilot is rich. If I do a random plug check after just riding around, its charcoal black.

You run a 58 pilot? :blink: Temp here has been about 80 and I'm at 300ft. My 48 feels rich. But if thats what your motor likes. :)

Edited by J-Madd

What your machine is telling you, is that when it hesitates after going up on your main that your rich. Now this may be corrected with your needle without touching the main. If your not idling you need to get it going before you adjust all this other stuff.

try 45 pilot...

420130[/snapback]

I'll try that first, then the needle, then finally go back down on the main if nothing else (I have some 168s on hand I can try before going all the way down to 165s). I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks

Oh yeah....and I'll fix the idle.

Your working backwards, your shee is telling you what you need...Its loading up on either the pilot or needle circuit, thats why its loading up until you hit 4th gear. Once you go from idle or mid-throttle to full throttle, then it'll take a few seconds to clean up and react. So if your rich to start and open it up, it'll take a little for the motor to clean out of the rich mixture in the lower end to the new mixture at wot....If your revving fine after you hold wot, then your mains are NOT rich. Light tan plugs indicate your lean on the mains after a wot test. I'd drop your needles 2 clip positions to start w/ and go from there. If FAST told you to run leaner needles, then I'd order some now. I'd also keep the 170 mains in. How does it start when its cold?? How many kicks? Will it idle when cold? Does it like the choke on?

If your running standard PWK35's run the EGL needles(PWK35's are notoriously lean in the mid with near stock needles on ported motors), and a 160-165 main with a 45-50 pilot. You can probably lean the main down even more than that in the HOT summer time......Jim

Edited by PassionRE

If your running standard PWK35's run the EGL needles(PWK35's are notoriously lean in the mid with near stock needles on ported motors), and a 160-165 main with a 45-50 pilot. You can probably lean the main down even more than that in the HOT summer time......Jim

421087[/snapback]

Jim, do you supply the "E" needles? Not too many people stock them..I need a few sets.