TR-6's Trouble

87TwoStrokeShee

The girl that rides Shees with us. She just bought a set of TR6's and we been tryin to find the right jetting for her shee. We started with the 280, then the 300 main but the plugs were white white. So we jumped up to the 340 main and the needle clip in the 4th position. Started right up and ran really good. It was night by the time we got it all put back together and it ran great :clap: Plug colors looked really good. But this morning we go to go ridding and it wouldnt start. The plugs just fould out. we kicked it over 200 times then just had to pull start it and once it was started it ran great. but we shut it off and we couldnt get it started. Shes kinda pissed for not being able to ride. IT was about 79 degrees last night and about 92 today. Were from Central Michigan. What to do??? :(

Her banshee is 2001 with a boost bottle, a Toomey 2:1 boot with a K&N Filter, and then the TR6's. we are running it with the 340, clip in the 4 slot. it runs with the choke on first kick but u give it gas it boggs and dies then no start for the next 2oo kicks.  :(

413733[/snapback]

What is your elevation? 340's seem fat. Im running rockets on my bike at 800 feet above sea levels with 310's and it is spot on jetting. I would think the rockets would flow more air, but I could be wrong.

But the mains shouldnt have any effect really on it not wanting to start.

Try fiddling with the pilot screws, and the idle screws alittle. Sounds alittle rich. So back the pilot screw OUT quarter turn at a time, this allows more air in at idle to low throttle.

Try running some NGK BR9EG's instead of BR9ES, I have better luck with the EG's not fouling so easy. Also make sure during those kicks, you arent giving it any gas or choking it. After the motor is warm you should never need to choke the motor, unless you let it cool all the way back down. You might be flooding it by the sounds of it.

During those 200 kicks, are you getting any fire whatsoever? Does it sound like it might almost want to start, but then wont?

well if you're using brand new plugs, they will look white white until you get some time on em', you're not gonna be able to tell just by riding once then checking them....I'd put in 310 mains and for sure you'll be safe if you're at stock porting...and go from there, check plugs after about an hour of ride time....look at the band and if the scare is in the middle then you're right on, if the scares at the tip it's running a little hot, etc...

We got it tuned in now. :cheers: We put the 340 main back in it and drop the needle clip to the 5th position. We turned the air screw all the way in then back them out only 1 turn. We started it first kick cold this morning, rode it for a hour and then did a top end plug check and the plugs look really good :clap: There a light chocolate brown color. Her respones is right on. warm or cold she starts on the 1st or 2nd kick. The low end and top end are all there. The TR6's have a lot of pull at the end over the T5's. We took them down her grandpas air stripe, and the T5's pull comin off the line but top end its all the TR6's she pulled away. The Shee's have the same work done to them, the TR6's are louder and have a Tinggy sound to them. Impressed by the TR6's :headbang: Now she can hang with us. :dance:

Edited by 87TwoStrokeShee

if you put it on the fifth down and you have 340's in, your WAY TOO RICH!!  Just my 2 cents

414022[/snapback]

Agree...

340 is too rich.

I have 330's in mine and it's on that edge of the rich side...I think 310 or 320's would be a hair lean for as much dragging with my buddies as I do.

Stock carbs with no reeds/reed cages, your stock needles should be in the middle...

I'd try 27.5 pilot, 1.5 turns out on the air screws....

i was runnin 310's and 27.5 pilots and i think the needle is on the 4th clip but could be the 3rd (cant remember at the moment) when i had my t6's on and that was perfect air screws 1.5 turns out also. also no airbox lid and delta 2 reeds, and even switchin to my rockets its still spot on

340's sound really rich....but if u say its workin out for ya then :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He said it runs good. Keep in mind the bike has no air box. My 99 has pro curcit pipes, pro flow and no lid. For summer riding, I use #30 pilots, 2 to 2 1/2 turns out on air screw, 320 mains, needle in 3rd position. For winter riding I use #30 pilots, 1 to 1/2 turns out on air screws, 340 mains, needle in the 4th position. I don't think he's rich at all. 650 ft. elevation. EDIT- I mix my gas at 42:1

Edited by midnite