20" or 22" Haulers

Ducman

I posed this in the sand forum but didn't get any responses yet so here it is again.

I'll be adding a +4 swingarm soon and I'll be going to a 10 paddle hauler. I'm debating on going with a 20" or a 22" tire (10" rim). I want to go with the 22" tire for ground clearance/traction in the gnarly hillshooting trails at Winchester bay which can be deeply rutted where you drag frame and axel with 20" tires, and your chain gets bound up some by the sand because your chain/sprocket is digging in as well. They are like narrow chutes through the trees with only 2 wheel tracks/ruts you must follow. Of coarse I want then also for good hook-up drag racing/ hill shooting. My main concern is that the 22's wont handle as well as the 20's for general dunning, sliding the ass end around/ roosting the top of the doon face, jumping, as I do a fair amount of play, trails, and jumps as well. I'm worried they wont turn well and be too bouncy. Have you tried 22's and what is your opinion. I know the 20's will handle better for general duning but how much handling difference is there with 22's? Also with 22's, if I use a 13 tooth front with the stock rear(42) will it be pretty similar to stock gearing with 20's?

Thanks

from your sig, it looks like we have about the same motor. i run a +4 as well and have run the 20's, and they were fun for roosting and playing around, but just didn't hook up for hills or drag'ing. now I run a 21" extreme 10 paddle, and it's a perfect tire. I can still cut it up through trails or roosting, but i got plenty of hookup when I want it. I run 14-41 gearing, and it's just about perfect. plenty of HP for 2nd gear launches when I'm racing, and allows gearing tight enough to always be in the band.

I live in Oregon as well and ride winchester and florence. I'm very pleased with my bike. PM me when you're htinking about coming up. Would be cool to meet a HQer.

Edited by odaen

Thanks odaen, that does sound about like the tire I want. I want to get up to Winchester for a 1 week long trip agin maybe in Oct. I'd definitely be cool to ride with some local HQers. Where's a good place to buy 21" skate tracks? I've only seen 20's and 22's on Rockey Mtn where I was thinking of buying them.

I just checked RMatv and see that they have 21" extreme grip and haulers with 10 paddles in stock but both are with 8" rims. Wont the extra sidewall make them handle about like a 22 on a 10 inch rim or is the 21" still better handeling because of the smaller diameter?

mine are 8" as well, and honestly, I've wondered if 10's would be better, or if they even make them......not sure

There's a place semi-local to me that has the best deals I've seen on tires/rims.

http://www.smimotorsports.com/

It's nice, because I don't have to pay shipping. Even though they don't have them listed, you could always give them a call and get prices that way.

www.sandwizards.com has a bunch of folks that are local to winchester bay as well, along with www.windybayrippers.com and www.sandlakeduners.com

There's some good pictures/vids/etc on all of those sites.

There's just a ton of really good people here in Oregon that are helpful, friendly, and love to ride.

Loco, the 9 or 10 paddle extremes would probably be perfect, and my machine isn't putting out as much HP as yours was in March anyway. I'm still thinking about 21" or 22" to get the ground clearance in the ruts. Loco, you'll have to check out the OR coast dunes one day, when your in some of the one track hill climbs its like being on a rollercoaster, just pin the gas, duck under any branches, and hang on. You dont have any choise on where your going, you have to follow the chute. It gets deeply rutted and the taller tires have a big advantage and my big ass is a disadvantage. I couldn't even think about making it up the bottom section of the side chute on banshee hill (you Winchester bay guys know what I'm talking about).

Also, loco, you need to post a full size pic of your avatar, the magnifying class on the computer screen just isn't cutting it. :drool:

Almost every banshee I see here at the dunes that is more than just piped runs 22" haulers. Hell, even the 450's run an 8 or 9 paddle 22" hauler

When I ran my 20's, it was hard to really hook up out of the hole. Maybe the sand out here is just different :confused:

Loco, the 9 or 10 paddle extremes would probably be perfect, and my machine isn't putting out as much HP as yours was in March anyway.  I'm still thinking about 21" or 22" to get the ground clearance in the ruts.  Loco, you'll have to check out the OR coast dunes one day, when your in some of the one track hill climbs its like being on a rollercoaster, just pin the gas, duck under any branches, and hang on.  You dont have any choise on where your going, you have to follow the chute.  It gets deeply rutted and the taller tires have a big advantage and my big ass is a disadvantage.  I couldn't even think about making it up the bottom section of the side chute on banshee hill (you Winchester bay guys know what I'm talking about).

Also, loco, you need to post a full size pic of your avatar, the magnifying class on the computer screen just isn't cutting it.  :drool:

408374[/snapback]

yea i understand the need for the taller tires then...just might have to do some re gearing forthem but im sure youd be fine with them...maybe one of these days i will be allowed to post the picture full size... :D

I run the 22x11x8 8 paddle Skat Trak. I wouldnt trade the 22's for 20's for anything. I dropped down to a 13 front tooth. It rips up the hill at sand mnt. I preffer the 8 inch rim over the 10 inch. The 10 inch imo is a rougher ride over whoops. I have also heard its easier to spin the rim inside of the tire on the 10' rim over the 8's.

Edited by 05bansh

22 11 8 is my tire of choice. With the 8 inch rim, if you hit a root(like Windy Bay has), it has less of a chance of denting. Also when dragging, the 8 inch tire will grow with wheel speed. Lets you get out of the hole with a small tire, then grows as you run the hill.Kinda like a top fueler. Let us all know when you are coming up to Oregon.