Crank replacement

I recently took my bike to Glamis and the right rod bearing decided to fail about halfway to Olds. I stopped the engine before it did and real damage to anything else. The cylinders and pistons are fine. The case is undamaged as well.

I need to replace the crank.

I bought a trued and welded crank. Cylinder base gaskets, Rings, O-Ring kit for the cool head, Clutch cover gasket, Clutch discs, Crank seals, and new reeds(Why not?)

Can any of you that have already done this tell me if i have left anything out parts wise? I have a bundle of lint free shop rags and 2 cases of brake cleaner.

And any tricks or tips that will make this easier?

thanks.

If you had a decent amount of time on that top-end, I'd get pistons also seeing how you are replaceing the crank. You certainly don't want your pistons to fail on you 40 hrs after the rebuild, and ruin your new crank. Don't forget yamabond and a flywheel puller if you don't already have one. You may want to think about replaceing all your seals while you are in there also.

Those pistons have maybe 6 hours on it. Piston to cylinder clearance is still closer to the low side of the tolerance. thats why i am gonna run a spring hone down the cylinders and replace the rings.

Where would i use the yamabond? Same style of stuff as gaskacinch?

i dont know what gaskacinch is, but i think its close to Y-bond4. its for the mating the cases back together.

seals have already been said. maybemod the shift star while youve got it this far down? youve got all the parts, just take yur time.

already done the shifter star. there is the Packard mod i might do. Anyone here done that mod? Does it help? I have a hard time getting it to shift at wide open throttle.

Edited by Toybreaker

I got mine apart now too, waiting on the longrod crank to go with my RZ cylinders heh, but anyway here's all the stuff I did while I had the cases split:

Rebuilt & trued/welded crank with "max load" or "race" bearings

TZ clutch side bearing (Koyo 70241-1)

All new seals, gaskets

Water pump bearing

Yamabond or Threebond 1211 for case halves

Water Wetter/Engine Ice

Boonman modded shift star

RZ forks

RZ gears, backcut dogs 2nd-5th

Pancake bearing mod for clutch pushrod

Barnett clutch springs

2.5" hole under round clutch cover for adjustment

Adjusted shift shaft

Polished the cases, jugs, head, clutch cover

All new allen head bolts throughout

Wiseco 795's

Patriot ported RZ jugs, modded head

TDR reeds on my ported cages

PTR revs

I already had:

Advanced timing via slotted stator plate holes

Case saver

K&N on UMI flange

Fattys (might still try those)

And if I had unlimited fundage I woulda got:

Billet water pump impeller

Billet water pump drain cover

Hinson clutch basket

Lock-up clutch & clear cover

V-Force reeds

28mm carbs

Billet stator cover & clutch side inserts

Monoblock powervalved Cheetahs w/Nikasil

Rocket pipes

Fuzzy dice

Brad it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, of course starting with an unpainted surface is always a shitload easier (I was pullin' my hair out doing the front brake master cyl, what the hell kind of paint is that??! space shuttles oughta use that shit I know it would survive re-entry).

Anyway mine came out better than I expected, damn near mirrored it. Almost as good as JKJK's that he did with the Eastwood kit...almost. These are his, get out yer shades:

100_0228.jpg

Brad it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, of course starting with an unpainted surface is always a shitload easier (I was pullin' my hair out doing the front brake master cyl, what the hell kind of paint is that??!

Yea I know what you mean on the master cylinder. I just had to polish and sand it all off and was a biotch getting in some of those grooves. Those cases look killer btw.  :headbang:  I've been eyeing mine for a few days and really doesn't look like it will be too bad. I figure while I have the cases split, why not.  :shrugani:

404354[/snapback]

I would but i want my bike back together for the night races at OLDS.