Banshee won't shift

DigglerD

I took it out to Pismo a while back and on day 2 it would not shift out of 2nd gear. After removing the covers I can see that the basket is wrecked and the clutches burned up a bit. HOWEVER... the shift star looks fine but won't seem to shift. What went wrong? Is this a simple one? I don't want to have to split the case.

its most likely a simple one if this is the case. When i was last at the dunes, the little clip right behind the shift star got jammed, and prevented mine to get out of 3rd. I took the clutch cover off, and pushed that clip back into its spot. I know is a vague description, but check it out. It happens when the clutch side cover gets worn, and there is some play with the shift rod. This is what a drag team told me, and we fixed it in about 5 seconds. Good luck....... :cheers:

I installed one of those modified shift stars a few years ago... it smoothed the shifting a good bit but still under full throttle the trans would hang up. U might try installing one of those modified shift stars sometime. They are fairly cheap. From what I can remember, a usual shift star is alot more pointed than the modified unit.

its most likely a simple one if this is the case.  When i was last at the dunes, the little clip right behind the shift star got jammed, and prevented mine to get out of 3rd.  I took the clutch cover off, and pushed that clip back into its spot.  I know is a vague description, but check it out.  It happens when the clutch side cover gets worn, and there is some play with the shift rod.  This is what a drag team told me, and we fixed it in about 5 seconds.  Good luck....... :cheers:

402769[/snapback]

Same here.

Its like the shift shaft can move in and out, and gets jammed some how.

I have to take my clutch cover off, and push as I turn to get it back in. I'm thinking about making a bushing or something to keep it there.

The cool thing is when mine does it, I only have 2nd and 3rd, but I don't need to use the clutch and it just SLAMS into the next gear. I wish it shifted like that all the time, except with all the gears.

So after getting into it (splitting the case) there were two things going on.

1) there seems to be some sort of threaded stud being used as a stop. It was all the way in and preventing the forks from coming inwrd to hit 1st. That solved the first gear problem but I still have no clue whay this stud would be in there simply to block the forks.

2) the forks bind on the shift drum when sliding orver it through the gears. Fork 1 binds on 3rd and fork 2 on 4th. Everything seems in tacts, the drum spins true and the forks don't look bent... why is it binding?