Port & Polish and Pistons Selection

Just wanted to know to to go to for the port and polish job? I live is So Cal ( East County) and I'm not against sending my cylinders out for the job to get done right. I mainly ride Glamis and if you know its aroung sea level. Also what to up the compression with some pistons and dont' know who to go with. I was thinking to go with weisco piston. But I was look to see what works. Thanks

for me, Wiseco is the only place to buy pistons. just an opinion though.

as to the compression, you have to do that by modifying the cylinder head, or purchasing a new one altogether. do a search in this forum for more than you will ever need to know about replacement heads, and head modifications.

to port/polish, thats a serious question. with so many shops doing these services now its really impossible to say who is the best. but from reading what others have written, and from my own experiences, just call several builders and see who you seem to like the best.

but a few places to start:

Patriot R(acing)

Passion R

Trinity R

A&S R

Grand River R

Ohton's

Tyson R

Packard R

F.A.S.T.

Rick Cairo

excuse any others ive left out.

Find some bikes where you ride and ask them who ported them. There are probably a ton of local shops that are more than capable of doing good work. That way if you have a problem, you don't have to deal with shipping parts back/forth.

Lots of those shops mentioned do good work, but most of them have a lead time of over a month or 2 and aren't going to create anything magical for a set of stock cylinders from "joe blow" off the street. Odds are that if you buy a dune port from any of them, you're gonna get a motor that will dyno within a couple of HP regardless who built it, all other parts equal (pipes, etc).

That's my $.02

for me, Wiseco is the only place to buy pistons.  just an opinion though.

as to the compression, you have to do that by modifying the cylinder head, or purchasing a new one altogether.  do a search in this forum for more than you will ever need to know about replacement heads, and head modifications.

to port/polish, thats a serious question.  with so many shops doing these services now its really impossible to say who is the best.  but from reading what others have written, and from my own experiences, just call several builders and see who you seem to like the best. 

but a few places to start:

Patriot R(acing)

Passion R

Trinity R

A&S R

Grand River R

Ohton's

Tyson R

Packard R

F.A.S.T.

Rick Cairo

excuse any others ive left out.

392188[/snapback]

Never ever, ever, ever in your lifetime should you use Ohton racing for anyting. The owner Charlie promised me a weekend turn around on a port job if i sent the cylinders 2 day priority mail to his house (his idea). That was on June 7th! The last time i spoke with him was June 20th and he acted like he had too much going on to even take my phone call. As of today he will not return my emails nor will his shop answer my phone calls during business hours. I have no receipt or invoice to file a complaint with the BBB, so i am left no choice but to drive from San Diego to AZ and go and get them myself next week......and let me tell you, i am not going to be happy when i get there.

Mr.Ohton, if you frequent this site, i am coming to collect. I hope you dont mind that i'll be parking my Bank's powered superduty on your counter at your shop when i get there. I cannot believe have ruined your reputation over a 150.00 set of stock cylinders you F#$@ing thief. We'll be meeting shortly.

Sorry to ruin a great post. If youre in east county, like me, then just use Duncan. Talk to Lauren (he's a dude) the owner. He is a straight up guy and stands behind all of his work. They are a little expensive, but you pay for the quality of work provided by he and his team. He can port/piston match you a set of cylinders for a reliable mid 60 HP machine.