RZ or Banshee Transmission ??

Meat

Im building an RZ-Shee from the ground up. I need purchase a transmission and im not sure whether I should use an RZ tranny or a Banshee transmission.

Does anybody know the gear ratio differences and other differences between the 2 trannys. The gearing seems alot taller on my RZ bike, I realize there's a 16 or 17 tooth front sprocket on my RZ and that will make it feel geared taller, but I think the actual RZ tranny gears are geared for higher speeds and I dont know if Id like a higher geared tranny in a Banshee. Id like to use as many RZ parts as possible.

I will be using an RZ's shift forks and drum and most likely RZ cases too.

Hi Meat,

You would find that the RZ Tranny would be quit a bit taller than the banshee. Have looked at it a couple of times and worked out that I would need to install a larger rear sprocket (not available - have to adapt one) as a friend has tried it and found that he has to slip clutch a lot to get of the line but once moving not a problem just missing holeshot.

I still have my RZ bike in use on the road. I am fine tuning the performance side of thing first before installing in Banshee. I will proberly use the banshee tranny. My engine casein banshee is already a RZ one with all the banshee bits inside (mate smashed bike and destroyed engine case)

Rabbit

Meat I am in the final stages of getting my complete RZ motor banshee running.[had to get a new stator] the RZ had a stock 17 tooth front sprocket. I am starting off with a 15 tooth up front and I have a few different sizes for the rear sprocket. I will keep you posted and let you know where I end up with the gearing.

PS: I also had a MX/cleanup Port job done on the RZ jugs from andy at GRR

For the couple minutes i got to ride mine (before i blew a gasket) I really liked the gearing, i'm running 13/40 plus it shifts alot smoother. I'll keep you updated too when i get more riding time. Hopefully in a couple weeks :(

I've got a chart that shows the difference between the banshee and rz gears in each gear and different rpms, it's based off of one from benbb. post your email and i'll send it to you

:) I have a 1985 rz in my shee right now. I took out 2nd gear this last weekend at Wanoka dunes. I am planning on purchasing a set of banshee tranny gears and installing them in place of some of the rz gears. The rz gears have a low 1st gear which is nice but I feel that when you shift from second to the third the jump is too large. Also the 5th and 6th gears are really close to each other so 6th gear is never used. Here are the ratio I think are for the banshee and rz.

Banshee RZ

1st - 2.461 2.571

2nd- 1.812 1.778

3rd- 1.50 1.318

4th- 1.25 1.083

5th- 1.045 .962

6th- .875 .888

I am plannin on running the

1st-rz 2.571

2nd-banshee-1.812

3rd-banshee-1.50

4th-banshee-1.25

5th-rz-1.083

6th-rz-.888

What do you guys think. I think this way you can use the best set of gears for you application.

Meat,

Do you have a spare chassis yet? Looking to buy one? I will sell you my 2000 chassis, with alot of aftermarket parts (brand new LSR axle, with all hubs, +8 Tucker Pro arm, chrome, etc). Basically, everything but the motor, electrical, and plastic. So, you get the seat, radiator, and everything else.

Go with the banshee gears, and RZ forks and hub, shifting has never been so smooth!!

Send me a message if you are interested, thanks alot.

Found this.

RZ gear ratios.

1st 17.36

2nd 12.00

3rd 8.90

4th 7.31

5th 6.49

6th 6.00

My RZ streetbike shifts really nice and I dont have any problems with shifting it. My Banshee has one of those modded shift stars and I dont have any tranny problems except missing a gear once and a while. I'll definently be using RZ forks. B370 knows all about that. Its ALOT easier to find neutral with the RZ. My Banshee can be a bitch to find neutral, the RZ clicks right in, everytime.

quick, no, yes and your frame is prolly too expensive for me. You recommened using the Banshee tranny...... very interesting.

rzbanshee, I hear what your sayin'. Please tell me everything you know about this and other RZ questions. I'll keep the RZ shee question coming.

Badassshee, has a great point. "if you want a RZ banshee then you better have a RZ tranny."

rzcolobanshee email me that gear comparison chart please. meat@bansheezone.com That would be a very big help.

FATBANSHEE my RZ has a 17 tooth sprocket too. The damn bike will do 120 mph and cruz right along at 80mph all day long. I think a 15 toother is a good idea :wink:

bansheerabbit. I was told that you could use either a banshee or RZ cases with the RZ juggs, I recently heard that you must use RZ cases with the RZ juggs, something about the water jacketspassages dont line up when using RZ juggs with Banshee cases. understand what Im tryin to say ? ever hear anything like this ??

Why do you need an RZ tranny to use the RZ cylinders? Are we forgetting that the cylinders are IDENTICAL, other than the powervalves?? Not one thing is different. Porting is almost IDENTICAL to doing regular banshee cylinders. Only thing different is the transfers...

The gear ratio from the RZ tranny is not made for cruising through trails at 9,000 rpms. Rather, made for cruising down the road.

Do as Banshee370 did...use the banshee gears, but RZ forks and hub. It wont be smoother, and the bike will have the correct gear ratios.

Ive done a few RZ trannies in Banshees for dune hillshootin...Its a different ride for sure...

Ive also tried mix and matching gear ratios...I think youd find the mix and match the most interesting and desirable...

With the RZ trannied hillshooters we were running 16-41 or 42 gearing. Launch in 1st instead. With slightly taller 16-43 gears we could get 2nd to go and only shift once on the hill...

My best advice....experiment to find what suits you the best. Gearing to me can be so subjective...

Ive also tried mix and matching gear ratios...I think youd find the mix and match the most interesting and desirable...

BC and rzbanshee have the best idea, but I think the mixed tranny is not worth the trouble. If I had more money in the goddam bank I would try this mixed trans.

Im surprised that the poll results are telling me to use the RZ tranny. Iv been leaning towards the Banshee's transmission from day one, because I feel the Banshee's transmission was designed for off roading and lower speeds and the RZ's tranny was designed for the highway+higher speeds. I dont want my quad doing 80mph, I dont have the room to do 80 mph.

Quick.... err balony..... I am not forgetting anything, I just want to build this engine with the best transmission option, this thread is to help me make an edgeamukkated decision. The only reason Im considering using an RZ transmssion is because I wanted to use as many RZ parts and I can, but im flexible and wouldnt mind using a banshee's tranny.

rzcolobanshee I got your email, unfortunatly I dont have Excel on my 'puter. I'll eventually get "excel" I have your chart saved on my HD. Thanks....... :D

Ever see the yellow and black RZ's???? I plan on using yellow plastics with a black frame and a black seat to mimic the RZ bike. Maybe I could find some "kenny roberts" decals to stick on it !! :)

I'm gonna go ahead and let you have my 2 cents. If it were mine, which i really really wish it were you lucky son of a gun I would use the banshee gears with the rz hard ware. From what i can tell you do alot of other riding besides just dunes. I agree with you 100% that the 2 sets of gears are aimed at different riding conditions; highway cruising and offroad use it was engineered that way, otherwise the gears would be the same in the 2 engines i would think, . i'm sure if you had all the time in the world it would be beneficial to be able to mix and match gears, go try them out and then change out gears. but changing gears as we all know involves a good deal of work if you want to keep tinkering with the internal gearing.

if you dont ride any dunes what so ever and you are alway in the tight trails or restrictive wooded areas is to use the low rz 1st gear (dog gear or granny gear lol) that way if you get in a situation where you are having to go slow you can stay in the gas to keep from bogging down your motor and/or fouling plugs, with out going to fast and running over the person in front of you, me and a buddy own a rail buggy and a banshee 1/2 and 1/2 and when we ride in the woods he kinda has to take it slower so if i'm behind him i am slippin the clutch a lot and hav'n to stay out of the throttle, if i had a really low 1st gear i could cruise at a decent RPM and not have to worry about it, i know i could gear different but then i'd loose top end. if you had a low first gear then you could run the same size sprokets and not have to give up the top end. i guess i'm just rambling now, but that is my opinion. good luck with all the work, i only wish i could help you as much as you've help all of us on the BHQ.