Extra Cooling

I have the heater block I got at local auto parts store. I am going to place it in the frame up front and run some extra cooling lines to it. Basically I am going to go from the main radiator down to this second smaller unit, then into the head. Should drop temps a couple degrees I figure. What do you guys think?

:shrugani:

I have the heater block I got at local auto parts store.  I am going to place it in the frame up front and run some extra cooling lines to it.  Basically I am going to go from the main radiator down to this second smaller unit, then into the head.  Should drop temps a couple degrees I figure.  What do you guys think?

:shrugani:

356665[/snapback]

Put up a picture or a link to the part you are talking about. I am going to need supplimental cooling on my project bike, and I need to get the parts in asap so I can get it mocked up before PC.

Put up a picture or a link to the part you are talking about. I am going to need supplimental cooling on my project bike, and I need to get the parts in asap so I can get it mocked up before PC.

356766[/snapback]

I am going to moch it up this weekend. I will post pics after that. Just go down to your local Checker or Advanced Automotive shop and ask them for a Heater core from a mid 90's Bronco. Mine measures about 10inches high, 2inches deep, by 5 inches wide. I don't have any of my shees here to play around with frame placement, but should be pretty simple. I will put pics up soon as I am done putting it together and testing it.

get a toomey rad or one like it and some engine ice you wont have any problem

in the winter i had to block most of mine to get it to get above 100 degs

356764[/snapback]

yeah, you have this thing called money. Fancy parts are always nice when you can afford them.

Edited by BigRed350x

I was going to do the same thing, but use a radiator out of a street bike. I was going to use the street bike fan and put a switch to go from the lights to the fan, since the stator wont handle both. Or get a heavier duty stator to handle everything. At night it is cool enough to run without fan and during the day ya don't need the lights. The radiator was also going to be attached to the frame under the seat with a grill (expanded metal) to protect it. Just a thought.............

By the way when I was checking into this before a couple of guys told me that if I was overheating something was wrong. Either the impeller was fried and needed a new one or I was not jetted right and it was producing to much heat.......

Another thought would be a Noss head and some engine ice. also invest in a temp gauge (really helps)...........

I was going to do the same thing, but use a radiator out of a street bike.  I was going to use the street bike fan and put a switch to go from the lights to the fan, since the stator wont handle both.  Or get a heavier duty stator to handle everything.  At night it is cool enough to run without fan and during the day ya don't need the lights.  The radiator was also going to be attached to the frame under the seat with a grill (expanded metal) to protect it.  Just a thought.............

By the way when I was checking into this before a couple of guys told me that if I was overheating something was wrong.  Either the impeller was fried and needed a new one or I was not jetted right and it was producing to much heat.......

Another thought would be a Noss head and some engine ice.  also invest in a temp gauge (really helps)...........

356986[/snapback]

Um, I never said my bike was overheating. Just doing this to help drop temps more. The cooler you can get it the better it will run.

Got it all put together and ran the bike for a while to get it hot. Ran it in the powerband for about a half-hour. Hottest temp was about 20 degrees cooler than with stock radiator. It was 60degrees out here today and then it started to just dump snow about two hours later so I didn't get pics taken. If the snow melts tomarrow I will get some pics for whoever it was that wanted them.

BigRed, how'd you measure temperature? Do you have a guage installed or did you use an IR gun? I think your idea will work as long as you dont lose any flow through the system. Adding another heat exchanger will restrict the flow more than normal. This can result in higher temps if there is too much restriction. But it seems to be working based on your initial ride. An aftermarket impeller that flows better than the stock unit will complement your new mod. Good liuck.

Um, I never said my bike was overheating.  Just doing this to help drop temps more.  The cooler you can get it the better it will run.

358160[/snapback]

actaully an IC engine runs better at a higher temp. thats the reason for a thermostat in a car. its so that the water temps get where they need to be quickly. not so your heater gets warm.