Popping, Missing?

Just bought a 2001 Banshee today. It has T-5 pipes and the air box. When I get on it pretty hard it is doggy. It backfires and misses. I bought it from a buddy and I know he took off the parking brake wire cause that was giving him a problem. Do you have any suggestions? I have cleaned the carbs and checked sparkplugs. What spark plugs should I be running?

Sounds Like You Are Running Lean. What Color Are Your Plugs?  Do You Know What main jets You Are Running? Tell me What Your Setup Is And Maybe I can Help( What Airfilter,Whats Your elevation, Whats The Temperature, Any Other Mods? P.S. Welcome to The H.Q. Your Stock Spark Plug Is A (NGK BR8ES).

348952[/snapback]

The plugs are actually dark, looks kinda rich actually. Not sure about the mains, my buddy just bought the Toomy t-5 kit, with the jets and everything needed. I think the filter and airbox are toomy too, well the prefilter is for sure. The temp is about 60. I am below sea level (minnesota).

Hows her compressoins and reeds

349094[/snapback]

i took apart the reeds and on the intake and reeds there is kind of a black substance that is wearing off, it almost looks like paint? It looks like it is peeling off the sides of the intake ports?

i took apart the reeds and on the intake and reeds there is kind of a black substance that is wearing off, it almost looks like paint?  It looks like it is peeling off the sides of the intake ports?

349138[/snapback]

Dont worry about the flaking paint. We need your jet sizes to better help.Also has it been ported?

BR8ES Plugs

Try Changing them first.

280 soubds lean if your running a K&N wih no airbox lid, I ran 320 at sea level in hotter weather at glamis. Although this is with Fattys the jetting should be similar but maybe a 300 or 310 with Toomys I would imagine.

However the missing and bogging sounds like you are running rich!?!

Did your friend re-adjust the needles in the carbs? They should be raised 1 notch from stock probably (clip Lowered).

The black stuff is just paint from the inside of the cylinders intake. Some are painted some are not. Don't worry about it though! Mine had this problem also it will not affect anything.

My Guess is that you are lean or rich depending on exactly how it is acting. If it is reving out but does not have power then your lean, if it's having trouble reving out clear and misfires it might be rich.

I had a friend that had the same setup as you and for some odd reason his wouldn't top out right unless he ran a 260 main, 27.5 pilot and I don't remember the needle. Had a 280 in it and wouldn't pull out in 6th. Weird. Seems lean, but worked like a charm.

Put a fresh set of plugs in a WARM motor, ride it pinned in 6th for 20 sec or so, pull in the cluch while still in 6th, shut off the motor with the kill switch. Coast to a stop. Remove the plugs, put the old ones back in, ride home and do a plug chop.

If you don't know what that is, do a search on here. Tell us what you find on your plugs. This is one of the fastest ways to tell where your jetting is, and where it needs to be adjusted to. You have a top-end sputter, so this means your mains are the problem fuel circut.

If you are new to Banshees, educate yourself on jetting. This is must-know info for you.

That being said, you prolly need to be above 300 on your mains.

Put a fresh set of plugs in a WARM motor, ride it pinned in 6th for 20 sec or so, pull in the cluch while still in 6th, shut off the motor with the kill switch. Coast to a stop. Remove the plugs, put the old ones back in, ride home and do a plug chop.

If you don't know what that is, do a search on here. Tell us what you find on your plugs. This is one of the fastest ways to tell where your jetting is, and where it needs to be adjusted to. You have a top-end sputter, so this means your mains are the problem fuel circut.

If you are new to Banshees, educate yourself on jetting. This is must-know info for you.

That being said, you prolly need to be above 300 on your mains.

349701[/snapback]

when in hard accel it pops and loses power, every time it pops it tosses out a little blue smoke

ok heres what i checked

needle on 4th notch

floats 21mm

it has a 280 main with stock pilot

reeds fine

compression about 115-120

the plugs get pretty black after riding i think it is fouling them out, do you think it would be safe to go down to a 260 main

i dont have any spare new plugs to do a plug chop, i may try that tomorrow though

I also checked stator and that read 19 ohms so that is fine

the problem started when my buddy loaded it up to bring to my house, loading it and everything else it ran fine, would running out of gas do anything?

349883[/snapback]

How many grooves are on those needles?

Stock needles have 5 grooves. 3rd groove would be correct.

The Dynojet kit that comes with the toomey's has 6 grooves. 4th groove would be correct (counting down from the blunt end.)

You really need to get new plugs, I'd buy 3 sets of them. they're less than 2.00 a piece at AutoZone.

I'm running NO airbox, K&N filters, Boyesen Reeds and T5s. Slightly above sea level.

310 Mains. 27.5 Pilots and 1.5 to 2.25 out on the air screws.

Does it still have the TORS on it? If so, I'd check all the wire connections, making sure one of the wires isn't bare/shorting out.

Next...make sure there are no air leaks at the carb/intake/crossover tube/air filter boots...

You mentioned running out of gas. Now's a good time to remove each carb, clean it good with compressed air and a fine strand of wire. remove the pilots and mains too...clean those passages. If you sucked in some dirt...from running out of fuel, the smallest speck of dirt can play havoc on your jetting.

I accidentally ran mine out of gas...first ride this year. Fouled one plug...bike ran like crap...till I filled 'er back up:)

Luckily, I was only 50 yards from the truck...

Oh yeah...what kind of oil and ratio are you using?

Edited by dajogejr

Well I did more testing today. I put in 270's but that just made it way worse. I switched around the throttle cables, knowin that it was a common mistake, and that seemed to improve it alot, but then it was doggy as hell on the bottom end, Do you think going up a few main jet sizes would help? Yes I did get new plugs. I am about ready to get rid of this damn thing and I have only had it 3 days.

Switched throttle cables, as in left to right?

That shouldn't change how the bike runs at all. It might idle higher...if the cable is being pulled...but that's about it.

There is a little tube that goes from one carb to the other. It's part of the idle speed fuel enrichment/choke mechanism. Make sure that tube, probably about 2 1/2 inches, is connected to the carbs and sealed.

This might sound dumb...but how dirty is that air filter.

Did you check all the TORS wires/connections?

Also...just for giggles. Close the Spark Plug gap to .020. See if it runs better at low to Mid RPMs.

If so...that indicates a stator problem.

Main jets won't help off idle. That's a combo of the pilot jet and air screw settings.

With those pipes...I'd get 27.5 pilots. 25 is stock. Make sure the needle is in the right clip.

Turn the air screws all the way in until they are GENTLY seated. No need to force them, they can be damaged that way. Count out 1 1/2 turns out from the fully seated position. Out is leaner...in is richer.

Just gotta have patience. I bought mine off a bud two months ago...jetting was all fouled up. I got mine darned close, if not dialed in and it took me about 4 to 5 trips to a local field and a whole lot of drag racing my buddies. well worth what I learned...though.