EASTER

So then knowing that easter is a pagan fertility ritual, should a Christian celebrate it?

Sure, I mean, do ya pass out candy on Halloween?

From the way I understood it, the Christian missionaries used the existing symbles of fertility and used them to show the triumph of life, and rebirth, over death. And by using objects (i.e rabbits, eggs, etc.) they were 'comfortable' with, it was easier to intoduce Christian beliefs. And it worked, because no one nowadays thinks of Easter being what is was. It's the day we rejoice in the reserection of Jesus.

BUT, as with the way we twist everything in this 'society' now, we dont celebrate Christ rising from the grave - we celebrate springtime. We dont celebrate Christmas and the birth of the Son, we celebrate Winter Soltise, Festivus, or whatever.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUT, as with the way we twist everything in this 'society' now, we dont celebrate Christ rising from the grave - we celebrate springtime. We dont celebrate Christmas and the birth of the Son, we celebrate Winter Soltise, Festivus, or whatever.

So it started pagan, was still the same holidays in purpose but the characters were modified to make "christians" think it was different or to make pagans un-christian behaviour acceptable and now the hoiday's are back to their original pagan purpose. So should a christian do it or not?

So it started pagan, was still the same holidays in purpose but the characters were modified to make "christians" think it was different or to make pagans un-christian behaviour acceptable and now the hoiday's are back to their original pagan purpose. So should a christian do it or not?

345955[/snapback]

Pagan? Easter is a Christian holiday in this culture. This day packs church pews and brings families together...what more could you ask for a day of religious observation?

Of course we should "do it". Bunnies, colored eggs and candy do not obscure the meaning, it simply brings joy to the children and there is no greater rejoice than the joy of a child...just ask Michael Jackson :o .

Pagan?  Easter is a Christian holiday in this culture.  This day packs church pews and brings families together...what more could you ask for a day of religious observation?

Of course we should "do it".  Bunnies, colored eggs and candy do not obscure the meaning, it simply brings joy to the children and there is no greater rejoice than the joy of a child...just ask  Michael Jackson :o .

345995[/snapback]

Are you looking at it from a human point of view or from God's point of view?

The reason for the death and resurrection of Jesus is not beyond the grasp of children. The theology of the bible is simple and understandable by all. In fact there are the examples of many children right in the bible who not only understood the teachings of the bible but were able to defend that understanding to adults who didn't have as good an understanding.

Perhaps you think that to bring children joy you should lie to them about the Easter bunny and Christmas etc. afterall what a shame it would be to teach a kid from youth to be honest and stand up for reality :(

i'm just glad to see that there is a religious discussion going on here. :clap: too many people take for granted what Christmas and Easter are all about. at 'X-mas', they ignore or don't even know what the gift giving is all about or how it originated, and why Easter is so important as well. Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny are all they think about, or they compare Christ as just another fictional character in the mix. how people can consistently celebrate Christmas yet denounce the existance of God and Jesus is beyond me. how can you celebrate something that you don't believe in? :confused: i guess it should be Santamas for them. i hate seeing 'X-mas', attempts to remove 'God' from the pledge of allegicance, or from money, or the 10 commandments being withdrawn from public places. this world is falling down exactly as the Bible states, yet people totally refuse to accept even a possibility that the Bible is the guide to what has happened, what is happening, and will happen in the future. but i'm glad to know where i'm gonna end up at the end of it all. :notworthy:

Discussion is the best. It should serve to expand the mind. It helps a person decide if what they think is right or help them re-confirm what they think is right and perhaps help others see their point of view.

That being said, Jesus never was in Christmas and God and the pledge of allegiance is a complete oxymoron.

That being said, Jesus never was in Christmas and God and the pledge of allegiance is a complete oxymoron.

346078[/snapback]

Have you been drinking or did you just forget to proof read?

What you wrote may be somewhat correct grammatically however it still makes no sense.