Mods + jetting not working properly

Hey guys, I have a 03 shee with FMF fatty's+ power core 2 silencers, boyesene power reeds and a uni air filter...Since this winter I cut off the end of my airbox lid for more air flow... I live a sea level and here is the issue I am having....

Before the airbox lid mod=stock pilots, 270 mains and needle in third position and airscrew I believe it is 1 and a half turns???...It ran awesome...

After airbox lid mod= stock pilots, 280 mains and needle in 5th position, and airscrew 1 and a half turns and plugs are coming out grey... I figure it would run ok in the summer when temps get hotter but I need a fix for now....

Where is my next jetting option...Bigger/smaller mains, bigger/ smaller pilots , what position needle and what adjustment on the air screw

Let me know what u think

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran the 300's and ended up moving the clip to the 5th position and I was just starting to see light brown color. So I went and bought 320's and 340's and will maybe try again tomorrow.

Another question...Before I changed the clip position (3rd with 300's installed) my bottom end was good and would climb the hills easily in 2nd gear. After I moved the clip to the 5th position, I totally lost by bottom end until the power band kicked in and I couldn't climb the hills at all. I had to run into the hill in 1st instead of 2nd. I needed less speed due the start of the hill but I needed to be in second gear to climb the hill but I could only get into first because it would bog out in second as soon as I hit the hill... Is that part of the power range dependant on the needle position or what?

I need to have that low end grunt as well, so will the correct main jet and needle in 3rd position fix that??

Edited by SHEEBANSAVAGE

your bogging range would be a combination of a pilot and needle clip postition ,they overlap ,youll need to dial it in on both circuits .i know if im off on a jet circuit with my carbs by a good margin itll effect the othes even if there set correctly . alot of pepole opt to jet for summer with no lid/or a cut modified lid and in winter just throw a original stock lid back on to richen her out a couple main sizes.good luck :confused:

Ok that makes sense...I want to get the clip in the 3rd position and the proper main, so this should fix my bogging...

I will try and do a run after work this evening and I will let you know how it goes. I installed 320's and the needle is back to 3rd position so we will see what happens.

Thanks again

So I tried again this evening and the 320's didn't solve it neither did the 340's.... Am I going to have to higher again?..I think I am going to have to,,,My next step is 380's and 400's.....

This is not a hard process and it seems like posts I made earlier people have done this mod before...Can I get an opinion on this from anyone that have done this mod before or anyone that has a good grip on jetting...

Everytime I try a new jet and it doesn't work, I have to go and buy 2 more for the next step up...Can someone give me an idea on the next size because soon I am going to have a whole jet collection.

Thanks

So you figure I should try this even though I still have my stock reed cages?  I just changed my reeds...But anyway thats another option..I'll try that.

Thanks

335468[/snapback]

TRY A 320 WITH A 27.5 PILOT AND LEAVE NEEDLE IN 3RD CLIP.. IF YOU GET A RAD VALVE AND POD FILTERS JUMP TO 340 AND A 30 PILOT AND PUT THE NEEDLE IN 2ND CLIP.. AIR SCREW 1.5.. FURTHER IN YOU GO THE RICHER IT GETS ON THE AIRSCREW.

TRY A 320 WITH A 27.5 PILOT AND LEAVE NEEDLE IN 3RD CLIP.. IF YOU GET A RAD VALVE AND POD FILTERS JUMP TO 340 AND A 30 PILOT AND PUT THE NEEDLE IN 2ND CLIP.. AIR SCREW 1.5.. FURTHER IN YOU GO THE RICHER IT GETS ON THE AIRSCREW.

335469[/snapback]

I don't have 27.5 pilots and yamaha will have to order them..crappy!!! What about 340's and 30 pilot and 1 and a half on the airscrew... If its too rich, I could go to 320 mains with a 30 pilot and adjust the needle as required.

What do u think about that or should I order the 27.5 pilots?

Edited by SHEEBANSAVAGE

I don't have 27.5 pilots and yamaha will have to order them..crappy!!!  What about 340's and 30 pilot and 1 and a half on the airscrew... If its too rich, I could go to 320 mains with a 30 pilot and adjust the needle as required.

What do u think about that or should I order the 27.5 pilots?

335480[/snapback]

HOW IS IT AT 1/8 THROTTLE... THAT DETERMINES THE PILOT