Computer question

SHAFT

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Built a new computer, installed 1 gigabyte ram. 1 card = 512 and two others equaling 256 each. Machine runs like a charm but when checked system stats it reads 256 ram. It seems to be hanging up on memory intensive programs. The mother board supports up to 3 GB ram. I tried all sticks by themselves, and swapped them all into different slots to no avail. It still says 256. Even with only one 512 chip in, it says 256 mb. Had ram checked and I was told they wroked perfectly and that there is nothing wrong with the ram sticks, also all sticks are same brand! any thoughts? :confused:

First off, yeah, check what type of memory is in there and make sure its all the same speed.

Second.. if you're sure the memory is good (e.g., testing it in another machine - NIB doesn't mean it is good), flash the BIOS. I've seen glitches with certain BIOS versions that will do that.

Third.. get a new mobo ;) might be a bad memory slot. have seen those more than a few times too -- a batch of newer Thinkpads we recently got had a bunch of bad slots.