Little bump, Lots of damage!

SouperSport

I think I'm done riding my Shee for quite awhile now. Unfortunately...

Here's why.....

I was riding with my brother on thursday for about 2 hours or so, and I went down this little hill (was only a couple feet high and I was going really, realy slow), but the bump at the top was just enough to throw me off balance just a tad, as I went down the other side and I bumped my helmet (not hard... just a little bump) on the handle bars and tweeked my wrist just a tad. Didn't even fall off or anything.. just a "minor" imbalance that caused me to "tweek" my wrist a little... Didn't hurt too bad or anything, just a little "twinge" in my wrist that didn't feel too good. It didn't hurt THAT bad though. So, I survived riding my quad home and all... Well anyway, after I got home within an hour or two it started to feel a little worse and was getting a little stiff, so I thought I'd head down to the local Kaiser Permanente to get it checked out just in case I sprained it or something. By the time I saw the doctor (after about 1 1/2 hour in the wating room) the pain was becoming nearly unbearable. I could not move my wrist at all (without pain anyway). As you can imagine, it was not a sprain... I BROKE one of the bones in my right wrist!! Not a little crack or something... I BROKE it!! banghead:cry:

It's the Carpal Navicular (surprised I remembered it!). Also known as the Scaphoid bone! Acording to the doctor it's the second slowest healing bone in the body! (Go figure!!) And I had to break the sucker IN HALF! Fortunately it wasn't displaced at all, so he just put me in a full length cast (over my thumb and up past my bicep) and said I'm likely to be in a cast for 10 - 12 Weeks! He said it could be much worse... apparently there are allot of usual complications associated with this injury, but since I got it checked out right away, I should be fine. But no more ATVing for awhile... banghead

It's still really painful, and he gave me some Motrin (presciption stuff) and some Vicodin (the good stuff). For just that "little bump" and a very slight "twinge" in my wrist, I still can't believe I broke it!! And of course I'm right handed, so this is really gonna mess up my daily routine for awhile!! banghead:cry:

Anyway, I didn't sleep too well last night. First this huge cast is awkward and quite uncomfortable! Second, IT HURTS! Hense the need for the vicodin. =-) The Vicodin works pretty well to relieve the pain. It's not a "wonder drug" and doesn't really knock me out, or even make me drowsy at all like I've heard other people describe it. And as far as I can tell, the 600mg of Motrin doesn't help much. It might help with inflamation but not really with pain. Doc said if Motrin doesn't help with pain, then take the Vicodin too. So I am, and I'm taking the max dosage I can. I've never had incredibly great results with many drugs... most don't work very well for me. The Vicodin works just WELL ENOUGH as long as I take it whenever the bottle says I can.

Oh and of course the Shee is fine!! Not even a scuff mark from the helmet!! But there is no way I'll be riding it again anytime soon... Twist throttle no workie if wrist no workie!! banghead

Worst injury to date...EVER! And had nothing to do with speed, carelessness, or anything. One of those things that just couldn't be helped!! Really Sucks!!

No pics to post or anything... no visual blemishes or ANYTHING (to the shee or me). Just a little swelling and now this big dumb cast... oh guess what... I got a blue one to match the Shee!! :shootself:

Oh and did I mention ... banghead:cry:banghead:cry:banghead

Edited by SouperSport

• 2 weeks later...

oh my god that sucks..that sucks bad! at least u could have had a decent wreck or something lol

my hubby did the same type of thing at a hare scramble..just a small bump of his wrist..next thing we know hes in a cast past his elbow..how the heck does that even HAPPEN??

geez..

glad u and the bike are ok :)

ha ha you did it too.but lucky for me i have other toys to ride that  dont have a clutch and not a smuch power! but i can still ride!!!!!! :D

IMG:>http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/honda-250-sx-85-bikepics-285948.jpg

327219[/snapback]

I have a cast just like that now! It was past my elbow... but now I have a short cast with a thumb spike! It's even blue just like that...

BUT it's on my RIGHT hand not the left... Clutch isn't the problem... I can't control the throttle (twist). :(

3 weeks down! Only 5 to 10 weeks left!! :wacko:

oh my god that sucks..that sucks bad! at least u could have had a decent wreck or something lol

my hubby did the same type of thing at a hare scramble..just a small bump of his wrist..next thing we know

hes in a cast past his elbow..how the heck does that even HAPPEN??

327238[/snapback]

I know what you mean... all it was was a "little bump". Actually it felt just like bumping your funny bone... tingly numb feeling...

got stiff and a little "sore" so I check it out... and BROKE! Go Figure!! (I still can't believe it's actually broke!)

Yep, I broke my Scaphoid a few years back on an IT400 I had just rebuilt. Long story, came back after riding by my myself with my shirt torn almost off, and grass sticking out of the exhaust pipe. The guys all laphed at me untill one of them noticed my wrist swelling up. He talked me into going to the doctor because he broke his scaphoid, let it sit for 2 weeks before going in and now he can't use it. I drove into urgent care and ended up in a cast for SIX months. When they say that is a slow healer, they aren't joking.

Yep, I broke my Scaphoid a few years back on an IT400 I had just rebuilt. Long story, came back after riding by my myself with my shirt torn almost off, and grass sticking out of the exhaust pipe. The guys all laphed at me untill one of them noticed my wrist swelling up. He talked me into going to the doctor because he broke his scaphoid, let it sit for 2 weeks before going in and now he can't use it. I drove into urgent care and ended up in a cast for SIX months. When they say that is a slow healer, they aren't joking.

332445[/snapback]

Thanks for your wonderful word of encouragement!! :wacko:

8 to 12 weeks is bad enough... I don't even wanna think about SIX MONTHS!!! :shootself: