Hatfield and McCoy Trails

NECK

I just got back from Hatfield and McCoy trails in WV, If you are in driving distance and don't go it's your own damn fault. I met a buddy of mine there from PA, we were only there for one actual day of riding, plus half of that was on hold cause of rain, but the drive was worth it. We stayed at The Depot in Man, WV and rode the browning fork trails. 114 miles of no ruts, hill climbs, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear, for those that ride woods in the east know it's hard to even get a taste of their top end on trails. We are planning a trip over memorial day weekend, probably Thurs night thru Monday morning. There's tons of places for atv riders to stay, riding on the roads is permitted. I would strongly recommend chassis and swing arm skid plates, cause it gets a little rocky, at times. It's too cold right now, but come spring it'll be sweet. We rode for about 4 hours, never got hung up once, once again trail riders how many times does that happen? Don't mean to sound like an advertiser, but it's well worth how ever far you got to drive.

I seen a couple a pics of the trails in the mag ATV Rider and man do I wanna go so bad :drool: . It looks like a dream come true and sounds like it by the way that Neck explained it. I just wanted to know how far of a ride would that be from where I live in Long Isand New York (45 min away from NYC). I am gonna try to do a Mapquest on it. I WANT PLAY !!! :cry:

I seen a couple a pics of the trails in the mag ATV Rider and man do I wanna go so bad :drool: . It looks like a dream come true and sounds like it by the way that Neck explained it. I just wanted to know how far of a ride would that be from where I live in Long Isand New York (45 min away from NYC). I am gonna try to do a Mapquest on it. I WANT PLAY !!!  :cry:

306781[/snapback]

http://www.rollingthunderracepark.com/flash/index.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Neck,

Glad you had such a good time. We do have a great trail system. The trail authority works hard to ensure that the trails stay maintained.

I have lived in southern WV most of my life. If anyone ever has any questions about the trails, concerns, weather, etc., don't hesitate to contact me.

Browning Fork Trailhouse

www.browningforktrailhouse.com

Hatfield McCoy Trails

yeah, we try to head down there every year to ride. I'd say its gonna be a good 14 hour treck or so for you from NY.

We've been there a total of 3 times now and have ridden the Rockhouse trails every time. We're going to be staying at a hotel that is within a short riding distance from the trailhead. It'll be our main ride area since we pretty much have it down pact now and know how to rip it up from the top to bottom.

We are also looking to venture out to the other trailheads as well this year to see what they have to offer. Got a question for you if you get a chance to read this BFT. Since we all ride sport type style atv's is there any of the trails that are mainly 4x4 oriented. I dont care about rocks and pretty steep climbs (except 94 I believe it is on the rockhouse trails, that is insane....went down it, but would never try to go up it without a winch and a 4x4). My main worry is running into trails that have deep water crossings, or that were gonna have to ride through water up to my fenders for a long period of time.

And I do agree.....its gotta be one of the best trail systems in the U.S.

yamaha-banshee-01-bikepics-139649.jpg

yeah, we try to head down there every year to ride.  I'd say its gonna be a good 14 hour treck or so for you from NY.

We've been there a total of 3 times now and have ridden the Rockhouse trails every time.  We're going to be staying at a hotel that is within a short riding distance from the trailhead.  It'll be our main ride area since we pretty much have it down pact now and know how to rip it up from the top to bottom.

We are also looking to venture out to the other trailheads as well this year to see what they have to offer.  Got a question for you if you get a chance to read this BFT.  Since we all ride sport type style atv's is there any of the trails that are mainly 4x4 oriented.  I dont care about rocks and pretty steep climbs (except 94 I believe it is on the rockhouse trails, that is insane....went down it, but would never try to go up it without a winch and a 4x4).  My main worry is running into trails that have deep water crossings, or that were gonna have to ride through water up to my fenders for a long period of time.

And I do agree.....its gotta be one of the best trail systems in the U.S.

yamaha-banshee-01-bikepics-139649.jpg

323120[/snapback]

You should not have any trouble on any of the trails overall. Being on a sportquad, if it has rained a lot, you might have to skip some of the black diamond trails if you normally ride those.

If you are considering other trails, keep in mind that Pinnacle Creek and the Waterways Trails are easier. They are not as steep, but you can go faster on them. So if you don't want easier riding, then ride Buffalo Mtn. Trail or Bearwallow Trail in addition to the Brownng Fork Trail (Rockhouse).