individual clamp ons vs air box

1800bigk

What is the horsepower difference between big carbs (34mm) and k&n clamp ons vs big carbs and air box with no lid. Is the difference really noticable or is it negligible? Also is there a big difference in main jet for those setups or will they be fairly close?

thanks

Edited by 1800bigk

What is the horsepower difference between big carbs (34mm)  and k&n clamp ons vs big carbs and air box with no lid.  Is the difference really noticable or is it negligible?  Also is there a big difference in main jet for those setups or will they be fairly close?

thanks

299211[/snapback]

some people claim there is, but when I dynoed my stroker I did a base run w/ the air box and a run w/o the box or filter. NO change....Note: the air box had no cover.

I have run both, and I cannot physically feel a difference in power.  But the clamp ons do not like water.

299387[/snapback]

This is very true! Whenever I wash my bike I put a big bag around the pods and then use a zip tie to seal it...seems to work pretty good.

This is very true!  Whenever I wash my bike I put a big bag around the pods and then use a zip tie to seal it...seems to work pretty good.

299505[/snapback]

i do the same thing tomy pods..i put rubber band on though.. guess im cheaper.. :shrugani:

Probably clamp ons let you get a little more HP because you are feeding the motor with more air. Not a good choice if water is involve.

In my opinion if you are trail ridding do not take the airbox off. Else if you only drag race or ride in sunny, shinny, beautifull, waterless conditions, then go for it.

more air = more fuel = more power

Defenetly jetting is involve, do not know how big in the mains.

:cheers:

Edited by richybanshee

I would say if you are going from a K&N in the box with no lid to clamp-ons it would only be a slight difference, possibly neglidgeable difference like others have said.

If you were to go from a foam filter in the box w/lid off to either foam or K&N clamp-ons then it makes a fair amount of difference. I did this and installed 2 sizes larger main and after doing several WOT plug checks and a plug chop, it apears to leaner than before and a noticeable top end power increase. The increase could partially be from leaning out the mains a little but it has to have increased air flow as well to be leaner with 2 sizes larger mains.

I got pissed at the stock airbox while trying to install my new 28mm pwk's. I had to run reed spacers so the carbs would clear the clutch arm making it a bitch to get the airbox on.

I ended up breaking the airbox in the cold wisconsin weather. Then tried a few other ways to get the airbox on till I finally kicked it and really broke it. I then went inside and orders 2 uni pods for it. I also ordered some delta 2's for good measure. Good bye to that stinking airbox.

I hope the pods make it easier to work on and makes changing the jets easier.