Bigger carbs and jetting

Flyin_Shee

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay thanks, I'm just heading out the door to go work on it. I'll have to stop by the dealership tomorrow because they close at 4:30...bastards.

302006[/snapback]

What size main and pilot jet did those come with stock? I have been fighting mine and am curious what they ship them with.

What size main and pilot jet did those come with stock?  I have been fighting mine and am curious what they ship them with.

303088[/snapback]

I haven't checked the pilot jet yet, didn't have time to mess with the jetting the other night because I was messing with my HiPers...I realized tires do not cooperate well in very cold weather. The carbs come with 155 main jets stock, then in a little baggy it also came with 150's and 160's.

Tomorrow morning, FOR SURE, I am working on the jetting...I have the day off of work and I am going to get all of this jetting crap out of the way so I know for sure that I'll be ready for the ice drags. I bought pairs of 165, 170 and 180 main jets at the dealership...they raped me on the price though, $5 a main jet...they said Mikuni is a lot cheaper and "better", but then why do people always get Keihin aftermarket carbs...hmm...

I haven't checked the pilot jet yet, didn't have time to mess with the jetting the other night because I was messing with my HiPers...I realized tires do not cooperate well in very cold weather. The carbs come with 155 main jets stock, then in a little baggy it also came with 150's and 160's.

Tomorrow morning, FOR SURE, I am working on the jetting...I have the day off of work and I am going to get all of this jetting crap out of the way so I know for sure that I'll be ready for the ice drags. I bought pairs of 165, 170 and 180 main jets at the dealership...they raped me on the price though, $5 a main jet...they said Mikuni is a lot cheaper and "better", but then why do people always get Keihin aftermarket carbs...hmm...

303532[/snapback]

Thanks. Let me know, if you will, what you find for the pilot. Mine had 55's and it ran great with my T5's. When I put my CPI's on, it would not run. It fouled plugs and would cough and sputter from just off idle to 3/4 throttle. Not having any other needles, I just played with the pilot and final got it to run with 42's. Seems strange that the pipe would make that big of a difference and if anything, I would have expected the exact opposite. I figured the CPI would like more jet. What pipes are you running?

Just out of curiosity, to file in my database of misc. info, did the 30mm pwk's fit in the stock manifold and how tight was it, or did you buy aftermarket intakes?

303774[/snapback]

They fit on the stock intake actually, I recommend going with an aftermarket intake just to be safe but it seems to work fine. You NEED to get different carb boots for connecting to the airbox though, so I just used a pair of clamp-on filters from my father's motorcycle. Worked like a charm!

I think you can get creative and use some sort of 2&1/4" rubber or silicon hose to couple the carbs to the stock air box.  Pods make it way easier to work on carbs though.

303831[/snapback]

Yea I saw some of that at the hardware store, I'll pick it up sometime but I will be running the pods for the ice drags. It's so much easier to work on the carbs without it hooked up to an airbox, this way I only have to unscrew one thing and I can move the carbs around.

I'm having some trouble on the jetting still. Right now the clip is at the 3rd setting (middle) and I'm running a 155 main (started out at 170 and moved down). Right now it runs good at some spots, but mainly just applying the throttle it bogs a bit and backfires after awhile like it's getting too much fuel. Should I try adjusting the needle leaner? I'm having a problem with the pilot jets, I was going to take them out to see what size they were but I couldn't get them out...When it was eventually unscrewed it tilts a bit and gets caught on the threads of the bottom of the float so I can't pull it out. Confusing to try and explain.

Tomorrow I'm going to give the jetting another try by adjusting the clip, and if that doesn't work I'm just going to leave it and hope all goes well. Could my pilot jet be too rich? Would that cause a problem with 1/4-1/2 throttle? Also, how do I adjust the idle on these carbs??

you need to get those pilots out and see what you have. they should come right out with a flat screwdriver. have you taken the carbs out, pulled off the bowls and looked up in there. those pilots should come right out with a flat screwdriver. if you arent in the 45 to 50 range in pilots id say you are too rich there. really need to see whats goin on in there.

you need to get those pilots out and see what you have. they should come right out with a flat screwdriver. have you taken the carbs out, pulled off the bowls and looked up in there. those pilots should come right out with a flat screwdriver. if you arent in the 45 to 50 range in pilots id say you are too rich there. really need to see whats goin on in there.

304951[/snapback]

I am pretty sure mine came with 55 pilots. Like I said before, they ran fine with my T5-'s but with CPI's, it would foul plugs until I went down to the 42's (sea level). Get those pilots out before you drive yourself crazy. Trust me, I spent an entire 3 day weekend before I made the drastic drop from a 55 to 42 before it ran right. I got it close the last day at 4pm.

Are you trying to take your pilots out by just twisting the carbs around? You can do the main that way but pretty tough with the pilot. I suggest pulling the carbs completely out.

I am pretty sure mine came with 55 pilots.  Like I said before, they ran fine with my T5-'s but with CPI's, it would foul plugs until I went down to the 42's (sea level).  Get those pilots out before you drive yourself crazy.  Trust me, I spent an entire 3 day weekend before I made the drastic drop from a 55 to 42 before it ran right.  I got it close the last day at 4pm. 

Are you trying to take your pilots out by just twisting the carbs around?  You can do the main that way but pretty tough with the pilot. I suggest pulling the carbs completely out.

305097[/snapback]

I got the Banshee basically running extremely well, except for the fact that it sometimes backfires while under hard acceleration and letting off the throttle. Have I leaned it out too much? I dropped down to a 150 main and the needle is in the middle position, a 155 is too rich though. Should I try changing the pilot to a smaller size?

I was trying to take the pilots out by just twisting the carbs, I'll have to try to take them out by having the carb completely out. As of right now, I won't be working on my Banshee at all because the highest temperature for this weekend is supposed to be -5. Not exactly my kind of working environment.

Well I took it out for a ride tonight after putting my stock 14 back on and it is running perfect. So I'm guessing something was rich because it was about -20 degrees out without wind chill.

I'm having one problem though - it won't idle. How can I get it to idle, I've tried adjusting the idle screws and the air/fuel mixture screw and nothing seems to work. But it does idle with the choke on until it gets too warm...this is confusing the hell out of me.