Rattling noise

Just rebuilt the topend on my bike. Bored it .020 over and put in weisco pro lite pistons.Now I notice a rattling noise in the bottom end .It sounds like it is coming from the crank area. It runs fine but never noticed it before. The crank is stock. I had the flywheel lightened a few months back.

Edited by hotrodbanshee

No not like a bell. More like a buzzing noise or humming noise. What happens when the crank starts to seperate from not being welded and trued? Will it make a noise?

296575[/snapback]

Not sure what it sounds like when it's separating but your noise could be your crank bearings. They may just be getting worn that's all. Just fyi, I found a local shop that told me they would charge 150 bucks to replace all bearings on the crank and true and weld it too....just in case you were wondering on how much it might cost....

Not sure what it sounds like when it's separating but your noise could be your crank bearings. They may just be getting worn that's all. Just fyi, I found a local shop that told me they would charge 150 bucks to replace all bearings on the crank and true and weld it too....just in case you were wondering on how much it might cost....

296592[/snapback]

I'm sure that didn't include labor?

No it is coming from inside the motor.

Check to make sure the spring that goes over your coolant line isn't touching any part of the frame or pipes. I fought this once until I noticed a nice patch worn off my fresh powder coated frame.

Now everything is zip tied away from the frame and the pipes.

296885[/snapback]

Does the sound go away when your in gear and accelerating even if your going forward very very slow. Might be the clutch basket. My stroker started making some noise like that no too long after break-in was over and I started romping on it. Sounded almost like a piston rattling around but when I checked the cylinder walls they were as smoothe as glass. Then I noticed the sound was pretty much only at or close to Idle when I wasn't moving. It also reminded me of the noisy clattery sound of the dry clutch with vented clutch cover on my Ducati (minus the jingle of the smoothe metal disks)and it goes away when moving the same so I'm sure in my case it is the clutch. I also read a tread recently with the same discription and clutch basket conclusion that you are describing. I can't remember exactly what causes the clutch basket to make this noise.

I only notice it when it is idling.

Does the sound go away when your in gear and accelerating even if your going forward very very slow.  Might be the clutch basket.  My stroker started making some noise like that no too long after break-in was over and I started romping on it.  Sounded almost like a piston rattling around but when I checked the cylinder walls they were as smoothe as glass.  Then I noticed the sound was pretty much only at or close to Idle when I wasn't moving.  It also reminded me of the noisy clattery sound of the dry clutch with vented clutch cover on my Ducati (minus the jingle of the smoothe metal disks)and it goes away when moving the same so I'm sure in my case it is the clutch.  I also read a tread recently with the same discription and clutch basket conclusion that you are describing.  I can't remember exactly what causes the clutch basket to make this noise.

297075[/snapback]

I put my ear next to the clutch cover and it sounds like it might be coming from the clutch. I am going to pull off the cover and see if anything is loose or coming apart.

299295[/snapback]

Don't forget the water pump is right there too. It could be the clutch though. Does the sound change when you let go of the clutch or pull it in?

I'm sure that didn't include labor?

296970[/snapback]

Yes it did include labor...or at least that's what the guy at the shop told me, you know how that goes sometimes :shootself:

If you're gonna be taking your clutch cover off, I would definitely inspect your water impellar and bearings. You can get the rebuild kit for pretty cheap and it includes your bearings and a new gasket....worth a shot :shrugani:

It makes the sound when the clutch is pulled in also(like a knocking noise). I will check the water pump also. I installed the pro design impellor about year and a half ago.I also installed a tusk clutch kit 6 months ago (fibers and plates). I am hoping it will be nothing major and that I find the problem before it really tears something up.

Don't forget the water pump is right there too. It could be the clutch though. Does the sound change when you let go of the clutch or pull it in?

299297[/snapback]