Does anyone make a Stainless Axle?

Holyman

I think Durablue's Heavy Duty Axle is steel, but has a zinc finish. :shrugani: Cheap alternative for the average trail rider...I know a guy who's been running that axle on a warrior that strictly rides trails & he's had no problems with it.

Ricky Stator used to make one, but I checked their site & don't see any axles listed. :unsure:

Edited by ledofthezep

I'm getting too lazy to keep things from getting rusty. Does anyone know of a stainless axle that can handle trails. I never do any significant amount of jumping.

294559[/snapback]

I don't know of any stainless axles but that would be killer. I'm sure the price would be double what the market has to offer now though. Main reason I bought SS pipes, no more rust. Though I don't know really how SS compares to some of the metal compounds. It is a stronger metal than most, but how it would perform as an axle I'm unsure. Titanium alloy perhaps? Maybe it's just the price that keeps these from being manufactured.

I wouldn't make one out of stainless.

Heres what I know from my shop making stainless shafting for the local bakeries, ice cream plants and such. Typically we key 100 ft+ of 1" and 1.25" OD rod used in conveyors and rollers each year. Sometimes more.

It wears really well, but it isn't really any stronger than mild steel. The reason stainless is used is it doesn't rust, and when polished won't harbor any bacteria. (bacterium...fuck I dunno I aint a doctor)

Machining stainless isn't the easiest unless its 316 (if I remember correctly. My dad knows way more about this than I do) 440C is used to make knives, so that should tell you the durability of the material as far as wear is concerned.

Holydude, I just got done readin' your other axle thread askin' about the aluminum axles. Forget them. You want something that aint gonna rust, correct ?? Get yourself a nice RPM or Lonestar axle... they are CHROME plated so say goodbye to your rust. Those aluminum axles are just for the drag guys, most of em are real narrow too, I did click on the links you posted, but I didnt look at the axle lengths, but from what Iv seen... those aluminum drag axles are usually stock length or narrower. You don't want that, besides they'd look kinda silly on a trail quad..... If you were duning... then maybe.

Get yerself a chrome LSR and never look back... when it gets dirty, wipe it with a rag and its shinin' in the sun again. No maintence wit em.

I clicked on the links in your other thread too and i would say if your serious about getting one of those,the JJ&A axles look alot better than the other ones.But i think what they mean by "play" is generally dune use.I remember seeing an ad in Dirtwheels of a company that sells titanum axles for around $700.Why not get your axle powder chromed or ceramic coated?Would be alot cheaper.