Shee wont start cold or idle!

TheSparkster

Alright... I bought the 94' shee back in 2000 used. I don't get to ride her much but when I do I ride the shit outa her. Well when I bought it, it wouldn't idle and to start it I have to use starting fluid. Ive had it almost 4 years now and I have just delt with it, but now its gettin old. It wont idle but runs great at all RPM's. I can even keep it at about an idle RPM and it will run but if I let off the throttle completely it will die. It won't start cold without starting fluid but after I get it started and run it abit it will start on 1 or 2 kicks. There's no TORS module under the left front frame tube, I guess the person that had it before me took it off. Also the lights dont work...

Anyhelp would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

TheSparkster

Edited by TheSparkster

Its probably a carb issue but for some reason I feel compelled

to advise you to check your reed petals. If your compression is good and you

believe that there may be a good number of hours on the reeds, inspect and or

replace them. That is if your carbs are clean. If you have never had

your carbs apart and cleaned them with carb cleaner and compressed air, then

you should start there. If you HAVE had them apart, you should be able to tell

us what size pilot jet you are running.

Its probably a carb issue but for some reason I feel compelled

to advise you to check your reed petals.  If your compression is good and you

believe that there may be a good number of hours on the reeds, inspect and or

replace them.  That is if your carbs are clean.  If you have never had

your carbs apart and cleaned them with carb cleaner and compressed air, then

you should start there.  If you HAVE had them apart, you should be able to tell

us what size pilot jet you are running.

280573[/snapback]

I have had my carbs off and cleaned them. At the time I didn't think to check the jet size. What are some good reeds for a resonable price?

Alright... I bought the 94' shee back in 2000 used. I don't get to ride her much but when I do I ride the shit outa her. Well when I bought it, it wouldn't idle and to start it I have to use starting fluid. Ive had it almost 4 years now and I have just delt with it, but now its gettin old. It wont idle but runs great at all RPM's. I can even keep it at about an idle RPM and it will run but if I let off the throttle completely it will die. It won't start cold without starting fluid but after I get it started and run it abit it will start on 1 or 2 kicks. There's no TORS module under the left front frame tube, I guess the person that had it before me took it off. Also the lights dont work...

Anyhelp would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

TheSparkster

280564[/snapback]

Dude you have the same problem I did don't spend money buying new reeds It is a jetting problem. I bought a used 87 and it wasn't jetted right I had to use starting fluid till it warmed up them it would start fine. the pilot jets are probabaly too small. they are what starts it then the main kicks in when it is warm and it will start ok right!!Mine has fmf fatties and he didn't have but a 25 pilot jet when it calls for 27.5 or 30. i just put my stock pipes back on and it is fine. But I do need to change my main back to 210 Im have a 250 in for the pipes.Lmk what you think or work out. Tim

Dude you have the same problem I did don't spend money buying new reeds It is a jetting problem. I bought a used 87 and it wasn't jetted right I had to use starting fluid till it warmed up them it would start fine. the pilot jets are probabaly too small. they are what starts it then the main kicks in when it is warm and it will start ok right!!Mine has fmf fatties and he didn't have but a 25 pilot jet when it calls for 27.5 or 30. i just put my stock pipes back on and it is fine. But I do need to change my main back to 210 Im have a 250 in for the pipes.Lmk what you think or work out. Tim

280636[/snapback]

I have the same problem on one of my bikes right now and it is caused by my pilot jets. Don't waste your moeny on anything else until you get that fixed. New properly gapped plugs can aslo help, but they aren't the problem or the solution.

:cheers:

Alright then lol... Whats a good jet kit? I have a DG exhaust, K&N Filter, removed snorkle, and slightly modified airbox (just a hole drilled)...

Thanks for all the help! :cheers:

280779[/snapback]

your stock pilot should be fine, it's a 25. your mains should be 250 -280 ballpark. your reeds may be hanging open slightly, if they are try flipping them see if it starts eaiser.

I am having a very similar issue. I just finished putting a moose carb re-build kit in my banshee because the needle valve and seat where worn and it would drip gas. Anyway now the stinking thing will not start cold but will with some starting fluid. When I was replacing the jets I checked all of the numbers on them and I am pretty sure they were all the same. I left my 290 mains in though. When you guys say pilot jet do you mean the jet that the needle slides in or the little jet next to the main jet. I also took the choke assemble out to clean it. It had a bunch of grit in there. I think it is possible that my choke assembly unit is worn. I do have the cross-over tube in place.

What do you guys think, can that unit be replaced by itself. The bike started real easy before the carb rebuild so I know compression and reeds are good. It does idle great after warmed up though.

Thanks