Ever helicoil a spark plug hole?

QuadMX

My snowmobile is a 1977 Ski Doo Olympique 340. I got it free and it runs fine most of the time, except I find this year the spark plug threads are messed up and unable to be fixed. I'm wondering if anybody has ever helicoiled a spark plug hole and if it worked or not. Or if somebody happens to have a head for that year and model engine I will take that off your hands. Also...if anybody is carrying some head gaskets I will also take those :D Later guys

Bob

Heck yeah, those things work wonders. They're actually stronger than stock in most cases. Somewhere I read (probably from the manufactorer) that they use a bazillion of 'em, stock, on aircrafts.

Just follow the instructions and go slow. Also helps a ton if you remove the head.. ;) They do hold up though.. really well.

A heli-coil insert is a new set of threads for a stripped out hole.

It is made of a diamond shaped wire that is coiled like a spring

in a way that forms threads on both the inside and outside of

the heli-coil insert. The stripped hole must be drilled and then

tapped for the outside thread pitch of the heli-coil insert. The

insert is then threaded into the tapped hole and the INNER threads of the insert = your new threads. Helicoil makes

thread repair inserts specifically for stripped spark plug holes.

Works great, as said.

I know they work great. I'm just wondering if it'll be ok bein the spark plug and all...

Sorry... just realized I forgot to include that! haha... hell yeah, they work great for spark plugs. That's basically the only place I've ever ended up using 'em, honestly. They work very well though!

Alright thanks a lot fellas. Now I gotta get out and find one so I can get the sled movin again!

You can pick up a kit for pretty cheap at most auto stores. They have a ready-to-install kit with all you need, except for the elbow grease. Lots of people muck up spark plug threads so they generally carry a start-to-finish kit with the few items you'll need to git-r-done

Alright thanks a lot fellas. Now I gotta get out and find one so I can get the sled movin again!

You can pick up a kit for pretty cheap at most auto stores. They have a ready-to-install kit with all you need, except for the elbow grease. Lots of people muck up spark plug threads so they generally carry a start-to-finish kit with the few items you'll need to git-r-done

The dealerships around here will put them in for $25 if you take them the head. It's worth it to have them do it for that price. A kit will cost you that much or more. You have to use the right kind of coild to. Some have it blocked so the plug can't go all the way through.

My snowmobile is a 1977 Ski Doo Olympique 340. I got it free and it runs fine most of the time, except I find this year the spark plug threads are messed up and unable to be fixed. I'm wondering if anybody has ever helicoiled a spark plug hole and if it worked or not. Or if somebody happens to have a head for that year and model engine I will take that off your hands. Also...if anybody is carrying some head gaskets I will also take those :D Later guys

Bob

Let me finish off this box of Lucky Charms, and you can make all the head gaskets you need. :lol:

My snowmobile is a 1977 Ski Doo Olympique 340. I got it free and it runs fine most of the time, except I find this year the spark plug threads are messed up and unable to be fixed. I'm wondering if anybody has ever helicoiled a spark plug hole and if it worked or not. Or if somebody happens to have a head for that year and model engine I will take that off your hands. Also...if anybody is carrying some head gaskets I will also take those  :D  Later guys

Bob

Let me finish off this box of Lucky Charms, and you can make all the head gaskets you need. :lol:

LMMFAO, my dad use to make thermostat gasket and stuff out of cereal boxes. Worked though.

My snowmobile is a 1977 Ski Doo Olympique 340. I got it free and it runs fine most of the time, except I find this year the spark plug threads are messed up and unable to be fixed. I'm wondering if anybody has ever helicoiled a spark plug hole and if it worked or not. Or if somebody happens to have a head for that year and model engine I will take that off your hands. Also...if anybody is carrying some head gaskets I will also take those  :D  Later guys

Bob

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. It's funny...cause I made my head gaskets outa that shit. LOL! :rotflmao: I went to the dealer today and they said they could do it for 25 bux, but I don't even know if the head is worth that much to have them do it. So I bought a helicoil from them and I can probably do it at school. Except, it's got the little tab on the bottom of the coil to turn it in...does that get cut off when its in there? I notice there is a little "v" cut in there and looks like it should be snapped off when it's in. Do I need to put any kind of loctite behind the coil when I install it or will it not vibrate down? Also. Anybody know what size tap to use? Later

Bob